Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Alternative Comp.nz general

Alternative Comp.nz general

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
and uwarranted views ?

Preferably it should be a monitored group.

Donchano

On Thu, 13 May 2010 20:28:29 +1200,
"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
>the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
>supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
>limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
>and uwarranted views ?
>
>Preferably it should be a monitored group.

Short answer: I don't know.

Longer answer: Upgrade to Agent 6. Despite the stupid, childish and
self-indulgent posts, you can filter most - if not all - of the trolls
and nutcases out by using Agent 6 and, if necessary, NewsProxy.

peterwn

On May 13, 8:28*pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Preferably it should be a monitored group.

By Larry or Impossible?

zzzzzzzummmmm

Hear! hear! Surely they've got to grow up SOMETIME?
I suppose there are forums where 13 yr-old petrol heads argue ad nauseam
about whether cars should have red steering wheels or blue. Or is it
just computers that bring out the inner moron in overinflated egos?

On 13/05/2010 8:28 p.m., Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
> the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
> supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
> limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
> and uwarranted views ?
>
> Preferably it should be a monitored group.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
> the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
> supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
> limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
> and uwarranted views ?
>
> Preferably it should be a monitored group.

Not to my knowledge, and I doubt anyone would willing take on the (unpaid)
job of monitoring such a group. Too big an area of grey...

I find that with lots of killfile use and marking threads as read I usually
get to read the ~3 posts a month that are of interest and on topic here.
However, due to the zealots and fanboys I don't check here as often as I
used to so often any advice I could give is a bit later than optimal.

Shame, this used to be a good group, I learned a lot here. If only the
people who should know better would stop replying to the trolls things would
be better....
--
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.

victor

On 14/05/2010 9:36 a.m., zzzzzzzummmmm wrote:

> On 13/05/2010 8:28 p.m., Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
>> Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
>> the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
>> supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
>> limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
>> and uwarranted views ?
>>
>> Preferably it should be a monitored group.
>>

> Hear! hear! Surely they've got to grow up SOMETIME?
> I suppose there are forums where 13 yr-old petrol heads argue ad nauseam
> about whether cars should have red steering wheels or blue. Or is it
> just computers that bring out the inner moron in overinflated egos?

If you don't post then don't complain.
The best way to change it is to post.

Gib Bogle

impossible wrote:

> Yes, I remember the days when you could spend a lovely evening in
> nz.comp browsing through ~misfit's testimonials about the hand-me-down
> hardware he'd just acquired, sure to be the absolutely best
> cpu/drive/video card ever made, never to be surpassed in providing
> exactly what was needed -- and no more, by George! That was so much
> more interesting. I particularly enjoyed being treated to the most
> sordid details of ~misfit's miserable life at every turn! It was
> absolutely superb newgroup entertainment-- albeit better suited for
> alt.binaries.youvgottobekiddingme -- but there you have it, the good old
> days. Isn't that right, ~misfit? Thank you for sharing. But please,
> don't ever do it again. It almost makes posts by Larry D'Loser seem
> intelligent by comparison.

What happened to you to make you like this?

AD.

On May 14, 5:25*pm, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> impossible wrote:
> > Isn't that right, ~misfit? Thank you for sharing. But please,
> > don't ever do it again. It almost makes posts by Larry D'Loser seem
> > intelligent by comparison.

> What happened to you to make you like this?

Larry cheated on her, and to top it all off Linus Torvalds ran over
her dog.

Becoming a country singer would've been more constructive way of
dealing with it, but her voice was too whiney even for that.

--
Cheers
Anton

Dave Taylor

"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
> the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
> supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
> limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
> and uwarranted views ?

Not NZ based though

> Preferably it should be a monitored group.

It is Moderated.

http://forums.novell.com/novell-comm...ommunity-chat/
http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/nntp.html
http://www.ncci.org/

--
Ciao, Dave

peterwn

On May 14, 3:38*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Fri, 14 May 2010 09:36:56 +1200, zzzzzzzummmmm
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>Hear! hear! Surely they've got to grow up SOMETIME?
> >>I suppose there are forums where 13 yr-old petrol heads argue ad nauseam
> >>about whether cars should have red steering wheels or blue. Or is it
> >>just computers that bring out the inner moron in overinflated egos?

> > 'Monitored'? *Moderated is perhaps what you meant. *If so who would
> > take on moderating an open ng?
> > --

> I'll do it. From now on, no more boring, adolescent, *petty bickering
> allowed. Also, no low grade promotion of operating systems. *All such posts
> will be duly flagged as inappropriate. Only serious bickjering will be
> tolerated -- that, and high-grade promotion of operating systems, defined
> for ever after as those promotions that encourage an infinite number of
> readers to air their unwanted views. This is usenet, after all, and if you
> don't' have the decency to stimulate a pointless discussion then please go
> putter around in the garden where you belong.

In which case the group would need to be renamed nz.comp.microsoft