Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Takes 24% Of The Market

Linux Takes 24% Of The Market

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Actual paying market, too
<http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

Another Me

> Actual paying market, too
> <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

A couple of questions.

1. Did you actually read the information around that statistic?
2. Did you actually think before posting that?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hsgc2p$361$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:

> On 13/05/10 4:51 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Actual paying market, too
>> <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

> A couple of questions.
>
> 1. Did you actually read the information around that statistic?
> 2. Did you actually think before posting that?

Says someone who clearly did neither of them!

Another Me

On 15/05/10 11:53 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<hsgc2p$361$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:
>
>> On 13/05/10 4:51 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Actual paying market, too
>>> <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

>> A couple of questions.
>>
>> 1. Did you actually read the information around that statistic?
>> 2. Did you actually think before posting that?

> Says someone who clearly did neither of them!

No, I did read the article, including where you pulled that little
statistic from, and I am still waiting for you to make your point.

They have hit 24% sales of a small promotion selling some tiny games
that no one has heard of with revenue so far of US$1.2 million, so
taking account of 24% of the 130000 (wow 130000 people) people
purchasing it, by the average $14.51 the Linux users have provided makes
a huge US$473,000.

The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots, 32000 linux
users purchased a game, wow

Sweetpea

On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:59:37 +1200, Another Me wrote:

> The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots, 32000 linux
> users purchased a game, wow

That's an excellent news - 32,000 is a very large number for selling a game that works on servers.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hskrlp$n7c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:

> The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots ...

They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales and
this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to emerge.

Another Me

> In message<hskrlp$n7c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:
>
>> The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots ...

> They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales and
> this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
> intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
> such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to emerge.

It has been a known fact for years that PC gaming is in trouble, and the
replacement has been around for years as well, and I will give you a
clue, it isn't Linux

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hslsig$ab5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:

> On 15/05/10 4:12 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<hskrlp$n7c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:
>>
>>> The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots ...

>> They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales
>> and this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
>> intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
>> such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to
>> emerge.

> It has been a known fact for years that PC gaming is in trouble, and the
> replacement has been around for years as well, and I will give you a
> clue, it isn't Linux

Maybe the example I pointed to shows that Open Source might be part of the
solution.

Another Me

> In message<hslsig$ab5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:

>>> They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales
>>> and this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
>>> intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
>>> such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to
>>> emerge.

>> It has been a known fact for years that PC gaming is in trouble, and the
>> replacement has been around for years as well, and I will give you a
>> clue, it isn't Linux

> Maybe the example I pointed to shows that Open Source might be part of the
> solution.

Statistics have placed sales of COD:MW2 around 10 million in the US
alone, around 6 million of them being console based sales. Now that
doesn't include the rest of the worlds sales. Sure this is just one
example, but it shows that your example is basically nothing (which we
all know according to QI is impossible) in comparison.

I'm not saying that one day Linux gaming may not go somewhere, but at
the moment, those numbers aren't even a blip on the radar, even iPhone
games have been known to sell more copies.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hsn6la$3an$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:

> On 15/05/10 11:40 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Maybe the example I pointed to shows that Open Source might be part of
>> the solution.

> Statistics have placed sales of COD:MW2 around 10 million in the US
> alone, around 6 million of them being console based sales.

Consoles aren’t exactly a bed of roses, either. The king of consoles is
Nintendo, with everyone else (Microsoft, Sony) a distant second
<http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/looking-back-at-2009-console-sales-and-ahead-to-2010-trends.ars>.
But it seems to be getting harder to make money even there
<http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/ubisoft-delays-new-splinter-cell-teases-multiplayer-creed.ars>.

So I think a change will come even in the console market.