Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > deploying and re-deploying ASP.Net applications

deploying and re-deploying ASP.Net applications

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE4=?=

Here's is our configuration

..Net Framework 1.1, Windows 2000, AppCenter 200

Our developers use XCOPY to deploy to the AppCenter NLB cluster (obviously, to the node that is the controller

Scenario - they deploy Version 2.5 of Application "A" to the web server at 8AM. The application is now live and in use. At 9AM they decide they need to deploy Version 2.6 of Application "B" They XCOPY all necessary files to the web server, overwriting the existing Application "A" Version 2.5, with Version 2.6. These are both "private" assemblies, as should be intuitive from the XCOPY nature of the deployment.

Problem - often, in this situation users of the early versions are dropped, disconnected, session is closed. It was my understanding that .Net would allow users already using the previous version to continue until finished. Is this true? Am I reading this wrong? Is this only true of shared assemblies in the GAC.

Also, this article seems to indicate that Norton Anti-Virus may be to blame here?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;EN-US;31614

Has anyone else experienced this? How to your developers deploy ASP.Net applications?

John Saunders

"Tom N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's is our configuration:
>
> .Net Framework 1.1, Windows 2000, AppCenter 2000
>
> Our developers use XCOPY to deploy to the AppCenter NLB cluster

(obviously, to the node that is the controller)

> Scenario - they deploy Version 2.5 of Application "A" to the web server at

8AM. The application is now live and in use. At 9AM they decide they need
to deploy Version 2.6 of Application "B" They XCOPY all necessary files to
the web server, overwriting the existing Application "A" Version 2.5, with
Version 2.6. These are both "private" assemblies, as should be intuitive
from the XCOPY nature of the deployment.

> Problem - often, in this situation users of the early versions are

dropped, disconnected, session is closed. It was my understanding that .Net
would allow users already using the previous version to continue until
finished. Is this true? Am I reading this wrong? Is this only true of
shared assemblies in the GAC.

> Also, this article seems to indicate that Norton Anti-Virus may be to

blame here?

> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;316148
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? How to your developers deploy ASP.Net

applications?

When certain files are changed, the web application is restarted. Among
other things, when you change web.config (not user.config!) or the .dll of
your web application, the application will restart.
--
John Saunders
John.Saunders at SurfControl.com

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE4=?=

Yes, that's what I figured, and that's what Norton AV seems to cause by scanning web.config.