Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: overlapping boxes

Re: overlapping boxes

Jenn

freemont wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:06:28 -0500, Jenn writ:

>>> ... and so on. You post "solutions" that are anything but.

>> I did fix the boxes so they would sit on either side like they were
>> supposed to. That was the only goal I had in mind, and I thought it
>> was good to do since I had only given it a go for a short time
>> taking a look at it.

> And in doing so, removed any space between the body's text and its
> border, causing it to look worse. Good work.

I test code one step at a time. Sure, it took out the padding, but it also
fixed one problem, which was the right box jumping to the bottom when the
page was re-sized. The next step was to add padding and adjust % width.

Why do you have a problem with testing it this way?

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

freemont wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:08:42 -0400, Jonathan N. Little writ:
>
>> Jenn wrote:

>>> ... freemont compared it to a COMMENT ... nothing else.
>>>

>> Then how about doing it with proper syntax?
>>
>> #article
>> {
>> border: green solid 1px;
>> width: 65%;
>> float:left;
>> /* margin: 0 auto 0 auto; */
>> /* padding: 0 2% 0 2%; */
>> }

> Answer: She did not know how.
>
> (Occam's Razor)

{{{{{{{yawn}}}}}}}

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

freemont

On Wed, 12 May 2010 05:50:14 +0000, Lewis writ:

> In message <7fb0e$4be9dce3$6216f0ea$(E-Mail Removed)>
> freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:15:05 +0000, Lewis writ:
>>> OK, that works, but if I wanted to swap the menu's right to left I'd
>>> have to edit the HTML to move menu2 and menu3 instead of simply
>>> changing the style sheet.
>>>
>>> Or if I wanted a style sheet that put menu3 at the bottom...
>>>
>>> Hmm... will have to think on this.

>> My immediate thought: how often are you going to swap major page areas
>> like that?

> I want this same code to show 4 or 5 different layouts.
>
>> That said, just replace the float:lefts with float:rights and they
>> swap.

> OK, how about moving the 'left' menu to the bottom?

To the bottom of what?

One possibility:

<http://freemontsoffice.com/test/lewis/3col_leftmenu_btm.htm>
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

freemont

On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:00:56 +0000, Lewis writ:

> In message <7fb0e$4be9dce3$6216f0ea$(E-Mail Removed)>
> freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> That said, just replace the float:lefts with float:rights and they
>> swap.

> I've ended up with this:
>
> <http://home.kreme.com/logo-demo.html>
>
> Not 100% happy with it, but not 100% unhappy with it either.

Uh, oh!

<http://i41.tinypic.com/1zmmot0.png>
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

freemont

On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:51:04 -0500, Jenn writ:

> freemont wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:06:28 -0500, Jenn writ:

>>> I did fix the boxes so they would sit on either side like they were
>>> supposed to. That was the only goal I had in mind, and I thought it
>>> was good to do since I had only given it a go for a short time taking
>>> a look at it.

>> And in doing so, removed any space between the body's text and its
>> border, causing it to look worse. Good work.

> I test code one step at a time. Sure, it took out the padding, but it
> also fixed one problem, which was the right box jumping to the bottom
> when the page was re-sized. The next step was to add padding and adjust
> % width.
>
> Why do you have a problem with testing it this way?

Test it one step at a time, sure. Great. Works for me!

Just don't publish each step as you try it, calling it a solution.

And - it's not a solution if it screws up the rest of the page.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:hsegkl$4ai$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> If I had meant to use a style sheet comment /* */ I would have ..
> but since this isn't a style sheet.. it's a newsgroup... I added the
> asterisks at the last second to mark the 2 lines of code I was
> discussing. Why make a big deal about it?

Jenn, the issue is someone reading this post who does not have the
entire thread, especially someone new who might try it. It would of
course not work, and then the person could be at a loss to figure out
why.

We see this all the time, something that someone has copied from the web
somewhere that is wrong, and then comes here for help.

This is incorrect:
#article
{
border: green solid 1px;
width: 65%;
float:left;
*margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
* padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

This would be the correct way to doing this:
#article
{
border: green solid 1px;
width: 65%;
float:left;
/* note the margin and padding below */
margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Jenn

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:hsegkl$4ai$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> If I had meant to use a style sheet comment /* */ I would have ..
>> but since this isn't a style sheet.. it's a newsgroup... I added the
>> asterisks at the last second to mark the 2 lines of code I was
>> discussing. Why make a big deal about it?
>>

> Jenn, the issue is someone reading this post who does not have the
> entire thread, especially someone new who might try it. It would of
> course not work, and then the person could be at a loss to figure out
> why.
>
> We see this all the time, something that someone has copied from the
> web somewhere that is wrong, and then comes here for help.
>
> This is incorrect:
> #article
> {
> border: green solid 1px;
> width: 65%;
> float:left;
> *margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
> * padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
> border-collapse: collapse;
> }
>
> This would be the correct way to doing this:
> #article
> {
> border: green solid 1px;
> width: 65%;
> float:left;
> /* note the margin and padding below */
> margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
> padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
> border-collapse: collapse;
> }

Well ... I suppose it isn't the end of the world if they don't read my
entire post where I said margin and padding would be removed and then look
to see an asterisk marking what I was talking about. I've explained
multiple times my intent of putting the *asterisk.. that should be
sufficient to move on to something new.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

freemont

On Wed, 12 May 2010 12:21:51 -0500, Jenn writ:

> freemont wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:51:04 -0500, Jenn writ:
>>

>>> I test code one step at a time. Sure, it took out the padding, but it
>>> also fixed one problem, which was the right box jumping to the bottom
>>> when the page was re-sized. The next step was to add padding and
>>> adjust % width.
>>>
>>> Why do you have a problem with testing it this way?

>> Test it one step at a time, sure. Great. Works for me!
>>
>> Just don't publish each step as you try it, calling it a solution.
>>
>> And - it's not a solution if it screws up the rest of the page.

> I didn't publish anything .. I posted what I was trying to do because I
> was trying to participate in something new. It's the kind of example
> where I can look at a simple site built from scratch using CSS. You
> don't have to be so difficult to get along with, you know...

Posting to public Usenet is publishing.

You said that your suggestions solved the stated problem. They did not.

That is key - a reasonable person might have said, "I tried this... does
it solve your problem?"

You say, "I fixed it. Here's the solution."

And it's all the worse because your "solution" is worthless.

Getting really bored now...
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:hseomc$7da$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
>> news:hsegkl$4ai$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> If I had meant to use a style sheet comment /* */ I would have
>>> .. but since this isn't a style sheet.. it's a newsgroup... I added
>>> the asterisks at the last second to mark the 2 lines of code I was
>>> discussing. Why make a big deal about it?
>>>

>> Jenn, the issue is someone reading this post who does not have the
>> entire thread, especially someone new who might try it. It would of
>> course not work, and then the person could be at a loss to figure out
>> why.
>>
>> We see this all the time, something that someone has copied from the
>> web somewhere that is wrong, and then comes here for help.
>>
>> This is incorrect:
>> #article
>> {
>> border: green solid 1px;
>> width: 65%;
>> float:left;
>> *margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
>> * padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
>> border-collapse: collapse;
>> }
>>
>> This would be the correct way to doing this:
>> #article
>> {
>> border: green solid 1px;
>> width: 65%;
>> float:left;
>> /* note the margin and padding below */
>> margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
>> padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
>> border-collapse: collapse;
>> }

> Well ... I suppose it isn't the end of the world if they don't read my
> entire post where I said margin and padding would be removed and then
> look to see an asterisk marking what I was talking about. I've
> explained multiple times my intent of putting the *asterisk.. that
> should be sufficient to move on to something new.

Again, it's a problem if someone comes across the post without the rest
of the thread.

--

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:hseomc$7da$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
>>> news:hsegkl$4ai$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

>>> Jenn, the issue is someone reading this post who does not have the
>>> entire thread, especially someone new who might try it. It would of
>>> course not work, and then the person could be at a loss to figure
>>> out why.
>>>
>>> We see this all the time, something that someone has copied from the
>>> web somewhere that is wrong, and then comes here for help.
>>>
>>> This is incorrect:
>>> #article
>>> {
>>> border: green solid 1px;
>>> width: 65%;
>>> float:left;
>>> *margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
>>> * padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
>>> border-collapse: collapse;
>>> }
>>>
>>> This would be the correct way to doing this:
>>> #article
>>> {
>>> border: green solid 1px;
>>> width: 65%;
>>> float:left;
>>> /* note the margin and padding below */
>>> margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
>>> padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
>>> border-collapse: collapse;
>>> }

>> Well ... I suppose it isn't the end of the world if they don't read
>> my entire post where I said margin and padding would be removed and
>> then look to see an asterisk marking what I was talking about. I've
>> explained multiple times my intent of putting the *asterisk.. that
>> should be sufficient to move on to something new.
>>

> Again, it's a problem if someone comes across the post without the
> rest of the thread.

I'm NOT worried about it .. it's ONE post that was explained sufficiently.
Is everyone this anal?

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Re: overlapping boxes Jenn HTML 1 05-11-2010 09:30 PM
Space between input boxes and selection boxes is not the same in Internet Explorer Stefan Mueller HTML 5 06-16-2009 02:06 PM
PIX: IPSec between overlapping subnets and "dns" keyword Oleg Tipisov Cisco 0 08-10-2004 08:29 AM
regexp to list all sentences and sub sentences, with overlapping? Tony Perl 4 11-27-2003 01:38 PM
Pix 506e, VPN, and overlapping pools... a love story Nate Smith Cisco 2 10-21-2003 03:38 PM

Advertisments