Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: overlapping boxes

Re: overlapping boxes

freemont

On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:35:29 -0500, Jenn writ:

> I'm just playing around with it for
> fun to see if I can figure it out, and you suck all the fun out of it.

Then stop describing your "playing" as:

"My idea was an almost there..."
"it is now working like it should"
"I found how to fix your code to work like it should"
"I don't know why that worked.. but it worked"

.... and so on. You post "solutions" that are anything but.

Take that goddamn chip (more like a log cabin, actually) off of your
shoulder and accept that your methods are outdated and incorrect. You
talk when you should listen. You proudly post markup and styles, saying
you've fixed a problem, when there might not have been a problem in the
first place - and in any case, your "solution" is totally useless.

Some n00b might find your articles on Google and think your "solutions"
are worth trying... and become puzzled and discouraged when they don't
work or fix anything. You write as though you know what you're talking
about.

Compared to the regular posters, I am probably one of the lesser
knowledgeable people here - therefore I read much more than I write,
usually - but even I am offended by your attitude. We have all seen your
work. You are in no position to offer any "solutions" to anyone's
positioning problems.

Now, if you want to suggest something that you think /might/ work, in a
way that makes it sound like it is merely a suggestion, and you really
don't know if it's any good or not? Well, that makes more sense to me.

But "I found how to fix your code to work like it should" is asinine,
coming from you.

Try taking some time, several minutes maybe, before you respond. Walk
outside for a few minutes and talk to a friendly neighbor. Maybe your
natural instinct to argue about everything will subside some.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

freemont

On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:31:53 -0500, Jenn writ:

> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Jenn wrote:

>>> ... you know that because it isn't a COMMENT ... it's an asterisk
>>> which is often used to mark something you are notating to other
>>> people.

>> <I am going to regret this>
>>
>> Except an asterisk does mean something in CSS, and it is something
>> completely different:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector....ersal-selector

> ... freemont compared it to a COMMENT ... nothing else.

Freemont did no such thing. YOU wrote:

"Remove the margin and padding on this..."

and offered the styles written as "removed" with asterisks.

If you knew how to comment the material, then why not use proper
commenting?

Stop arguing. Admit a mistake.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Jenn wrote:

>>> ... you know that because it isn't a COMMENT ... it's an asterisk
>>> which is often used to mark something you are notating to other
>>> people.

>> <I am going to regret this>
>>
>> Except an asterisk does mean something in CSS, and it is something
>> completely different:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector....ersal-selector

> ... freemont compared it to a COMMENT ... nothing else.

Then how about doing it with proper syntax?

#article
{
border: green solid 1px;
width: 65%;
float:left;
/* margin: 0 auto 0 auto; */
/* padding: 0 2% 0 2%; */
}

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jenn

freemont wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:35:29 -0500, Jenn writ:
>
>> I'm just playing around with it for
>> fun to see if I can figure it out, and you suck all the fun out of
>> it.

> Then stop describing your "playing" as:
>
> "My idea was an almost there..."
> "it is now working like it should"
> "I found how to fix your code to work like it should"
> "I don't know why that worked.. but it worked"
>
> ... and so on. You post "solutions" that are anything but.

I did fix the boxes so they would sit on either side like they were supposed
to. That was the only goal I had in mind, and I thought it was good to do
since I had only given it a go for a short time taking a look at it.

<snip>
> Now, if you want to suggest something that you think /might/ work, in
> a way that makes it sound like it is merely a suggestion, and you
> really don't know if it's any good or not? Well, that makes more
> sense to me.
>
> But "I found how to fix your code to work like it should" is asinine,
> coming from you.

I think you are more upset because I actually was able to do it, so now you
have to pitch a childs hissy fit.

> Try taking some time, several minutes maybe, before you respond. Walk
> outside for a few minutes and talk to a friendly neighbor. Maybe your
> natural instinct to argue about everything will subside some.

I enjoy debate and I'm good at it, especially when it comes to putting
whiney hissy fit pitching adolecents in their place.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

Lewis wrote:
> In message <7fb0e$4be9dce3$6216f0ea$(E-Mail Removed)>
> freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> That said, just replace the float:lefts with float:rights and they
>> swap.

> I've ended up with this:
>
> <http://home.kreme.com/logo-demo.html>
>
> Not 100% happy with it, but not 100% unhappy with it either.

I like how that has come together. How do you suggest dealing with the
white text where the whiter part of the background is behind it? The text
is hard to read there, but the rest is nice.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

freemont wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:31:53 -0500, Jenn writ:
>
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> <I am going to regret this>
>>>
>>> Except an asterisk does mean something in CSS, and it is something
>>> completely different:
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector....ersal-selector

>> ... freemont compared it to a COMMENT ... nothing else.

> Freemont did no such thing. YOU wrote:
>
> "Remove the margin and padding on this..."
>
> and offered the styles written as "removed" with asterisks.
>
> If you knew how to comment the material, then why not use proper
> commenting?
>
> Stop arguing. Admit a mistake.

If I had meant to use a style sheet comment /* */ I would have .. but
since this isn't a style sheet.. it's a newsgroup... I added the asterisks
at the last second to mark the 2 lines of code I was discussing. Why make a
big deal about it?

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Jenn wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> <I am going to regret this>
>>>
>>> Except an asterisk does mean something in CSS, and it is something
>>> completely different:
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector....ersal-selector

>> ... freemont compared it to a COMMENT ... nothing else.
>>

> Then how about doing it with proper syntax?
>
> #article
> {
> border: green solid 1px;
> width: 65%;
> float:left;
> /* margin: 0 auto 0 auto; */
> /* padding: 0 2% 0 2%; */
> }

Why is this a big deal? I've already said why I put the *asterisk there.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

freemont

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:06:28 -0500, Jenn writ:

> freemont wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:35:29 -0500, Jenn writ:
>>
>>> I'm just playing around with it for
>>> fun to see if I can figure it out, and you suck all the fun out of it.

>> Then stop describing your "playing" as:
>>
>> "My idea was an almost there..."
>> "it is now working like it should"
>> "I found how to fix your code to work like it should" "I don't know why
>> that worked.. but it worked"
>>
>> ... and so on. You post "solutions" that are anything but.

> I did fix the boxes so they would sit on either side like they were
> supposed to. That was the only goal I had in mind, and I thought it was
> good to do since I had only given it a go for a short time taking a look
> at it.

And in doing so, removed any space between the body's text and its
border, causing it to look worse. Good work.

>> But "I found how to fix your code to work like it should" is asinine,
>> coming from you.

> I think you are more upset because I actually was able to do it, so now
> you have to pitch a childs hissy fit.

lol... You were able to do WHAT? **** up the guy's site??

Funny... I was just looking at the site in its latest incarnation, and I
don't see any of your suggested styles in there. Why do you suppose that
is?

You've conveniently removed any references to your html and css, which
are the focal point of this newsgroup, and which you seem unable to write
competently.

>> Try taking some time, several minutes maybe, before you respond. Walk
>> outside for a few minutes and talk to a friendly neighbor. Maybe your
>> natural instinct to argue about everything will subside some.

> I enjoy debate and I'm good at it, especially when it comes to putting
> whiney hissy fit pitching adolecents in their place.

Debate? You don't know the meaning of the word. Stubbornly arguing an
indefensible position long after it has lost any semblance of validity is
not debate.

I await your next comeback. Oh, er... I mean, your next point of "debate".

It would be refreshing if it had anything to do with html.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

freemont

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:14:27 -0500, Jenn writ:

> freemont wrote:
>> If you knew how to comment the material, then why not use proper
>> commenting?
>>
>> Stop arguing. Admit a mistake.

> If I had meant to use a style sheet comment /* */ I would have ..
> but since this isn't a style sheet.. it's a newsgroup... I added the
> asterisks at the last second to mark the 2 lines of code I was
> discussing. Why make a big deal about it?

I knew I could count on you.

<thumbs up>
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

freemont

On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:08:42 -0400, Jonathan N. Little writ:

> Jenn wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> <I am going to regret this>
>>>
>>> Except an asterisk does mean something in CSS, and it is something
>>> completely different:
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector....ersal-selector

>> ... freemont compared it to a COMMENT ... nothing else.
>>

> Then how about doing it with proper syntax?
>
> #article
> {
> border: green solid 1px;
> width: 65%;
> float:left;
> /* margin: 0 auto 0 auto; */
> /* padding: 0 2% 0 2%; */
> }

Answer: She did not know how.

(Occam's Razor)
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

Re: overlapping boxes Jenn HTML 1 05-11-2010 09:30 PM
Space between input boxes and selection boxes is not the same in Internet Explorer Stefan Mueller HTML 5 06-16-2009 02:06 PM
PIX: IPSec between overlapping subnets and "dns" keyword Oleg Tipisov Cisco 0 08-10-2004 08:29 AM
regexp to list all sentences and sub sentences, with overlapping? Tony Perl 4 11-27-2003 01:38 PM
Pix 506e, VPN, and overlapping pools... a love story Nate Smith Cisco 2 10-21-2003 03:38 PM

Advertisments