Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > X-Face

X-Face

Meat Plow

Trying to make an x-face of a skull and crossbones but the x-face line is
so long it wraps in Pan. Anything I can do to make it smaller? I'm using
a fender guitar x-face and it's line is short enough that it doesn't wrap
and it is the same 1 bit 48x48 pixel as the skull yet the skull has 3
times the characters. I'm new to this x-face **** so don't laugh.

Dan C

On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:02:46 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> Trying to make an x-face of a skull and crossbones but the x-face line
> is so long it wraps in Pan. Anything I can do to make it smaller? I'm
> using a fender guitar x-face and it's line is short enough that it
> doesn't wrap and it is the same 1 bit 48x48 pixel as the skull yet the
> skull has 3 times the characters. I'm new to this x-face **** so don't
> laugh.

Hahahahahahahaha! Lamer.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he got cattle-prodded in the groin.

John Holmes

Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Trying to make an x-face of a skull and crossbones but the x-face line
> is so long it wraps in Pan. Anything I can do to make it smaller? I'm
> using a fender guitar x-face and it's line is short enough that it
> doesn't wrap and it is the same 1 bit 48x48 pixel as the skull yet the
> skull has 3 times the characters. I'm new to this x-face **** so don't
> laugh.

I use this X-Face converter:
http://www.dairiki.org/xface/xface.php
You might wanna try it. AFAIK, X-Faces cannot be shortened, but there
must be a way in PAN to handle them correctly.
I do have an X-Face attached to this account, but it doesn't show up on
the net due to the Dizum M2N route. It works when I select other M2N
services, but they are much slower than Dizum. It is also very long, but
it doesn't wrap in my newsreader (X-News)

HTH

--
<snip>

Whiskers

On 2010-05-11, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Trying to make an x-face of a skull and crossbones but the x-face line is
> so long it wraps in Pan. Anything I can do to make it smaller? I'm using
> a fender guitar x-face and it's line is short enough that it doesn't wrap
> and it is the same 1 bit 48x48 pixel as the skull yet the skull has 3
> times the characters. I'm new to this x-face **** so don't laugh.

Can you use an external editor to remove the line-breaks from whatever file
Pan keeps its X-Face in?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Meat Plow

On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:34:03 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:02:46 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> Trying to make an x-face of a skull and crossbones but the x-face line
>> is so long it wraps in Pan. Anything I can do to make it smaller? I'm
>> using a fender guitar x-face and it's line is short enough that it
>> doesn't wrap and it is the same 1 bit 48x48 pixel as the skull yet the
>> skull has 3 times the characters. I'm new to this x-face **** so don't
>> laugh.

> H[SLAP]

Poor wittle Dan the Troll. Must suck to live in such boredom huh?

Meat Plow

On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:50:07 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

> On 2010-05-11, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Trying to make an x-face of a skull and crossbones but the x-face line
>> is so long it wraps in Pan. Anything I can do to make it smaller? I'm
>> using a fender guitar x-face and it's line is short enough that it
>> doesn't wrap and it is the same 1 bit 48x48 pixel as the skull yet the
>> skull has 3 times the characters. I'm new to this x-face **** so don't
>> laugh.

> Can you use an external editor to remove the line-breaks from whatever
> file Pan keeps its X-Face in?

Pan doesn't have a specific place for xface storage. You just add where
you would put other X stuff like X-No-Archive, in the 'poster profile'. I
think there is a character limit in the box. Haven't messed with it today
but I think the solution is to make or find an image that isn't solid but
rather just outlined in black. That would make the character string
smaller.

I was more interested today in getting CUPS from this laptop to
communicate with my Windows 7 desktop PC laser printer. Didn't know I had
to use lpd for the communications socket but after a half hour screwing
with it I came up with a perfect solution ---- lpd://computeripaddress/
printer-share-name. And lpd printer service has to be running in Win 7.

So one would think the xface issue should be easy to straighten out.
Maybe so if there is some way to make the X header not wrap. I think i
can paste it in each post but I want it in the group poster profile.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:50:07 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

> On 2010-05-11, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Trying to make an x-face of a skull and crossbones but the x-face line
>> is so long it wraps in Pan. Anything I can do to make it smaller? I'm
>> using a fender guitar x-face and it's line is short enough that it
>> doesn't wrap and it is the same 1 bit 48x48 pixel as the skull yet the
>> skull has 3 times the characters. I'm new to this x-face **** so don't
>> laugh.

> Can you use an external editor to remove the line-breaks from whatever
> file Pan keeps its X-Face in?

Forgot to mention another fish to fry. Pan .133 often crashes while
posting with no rhyme or reason that I can duplicate. Posted a message
on the Mandriva board. Also when I play a DVD to my external 32" monitor
from the laptop VGA port the DVD player had no video, just sound. Found
out I needed to install xvattr to configure X-org to send the DVD video
to the player on the external port. This is where a lot of people get
lost and discouraged with Linux. But it's good learning and if you have
the free time it will occupy it and more

Dan C

On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:29:38 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> I was more interested today in getting CUPS from this laptop to
> communicate with my Windows 7 desktop PC laser printer. Didn't know I
> had to use lpd for the communications socket but after a half hour
> screwing with it I came up with a perfect solution ----
> lpd://computeripaddress/ printer-share-name.

You didn't "come up with it". That's been standard procedure with CUPS/
lpd forever. Only an ignorant Linux n00b wouldn't know that. LOL!

No ****.

> So one would think the xface issue should be easy to straighten out.

It is. Trivial, in fact.

> Maybe so if there is some way to make the X header not wrap.

You're getting warmer... LOL n00b.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found Piglet in bed with Eeyore.

Dan C

On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:39:51 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> Forgot to mention another fish to fry. Pan .133 often crashes while
> posting with no rhyme or reason that I can duplicate.

Doesn't do that for me. Ever.

> Posted a message on the Mandriva board.

LOL! The blind leading the blind! ROFL

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he hacked up a hairball.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:53:03 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:29:38 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> I was more interested today in getting CUPS from this laptop to
>> communicate with my Windows 7 desktop PC laser printer. Didn't know I
>> had to use lpd for the communications socket but after a half hour
>> screwing with it I came up with a perfect solution ----
>> lpd://computeripaddress/ printer-share-name.

> You[SLAP)

Poor Dan, such a wanking sad excuse for the waste of human DNA...