Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Region-Coded Ink Cartridges??

Region-Coded Ink Cartridges??

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> What theoretical principles regarding "free will"? I have not espoused
>>> an opinion on that subject.

>> What is your concept of “freedom”, then, if it does not involve exercise
>> of the will?

> "Freedom" is the ability for us to be sovereign over our own bodies and
> the work we do, so long as we grant others the same freedom.

And how does addiction fit into that?

victor

On 11/06/2010 10:05 a.m., Allistar wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<uvSdnYyHXISM3pXRnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@giganews. com>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> "Freedom" is the ability for us to be sovereign over our own bodies and
>>> the work we do, so long as we grant others the same freedom.

>> And how does addiction fit into that?

> Everyone is addicted to something. Air. Food. This can not be helped. With
> substance addiction, people chose willingly to take those substances in the
> first place. They are still free to abuse their bodies all they like, just
> as we are free to try and help them overcome such addictions.

Free to decide ?

What about compulsive gambling addiction as a side effect of dopamine
agonist treatment for Parkinsons disease ?

http://fora.tv/2010/01/05/Jonah_Lehr...ide#chapter_09

victor

On 11/06/2010 10:04 a.m., Allistar wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<uvSdnY2HXIRD35XRnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@giganews. com>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> False advertising is. Bait and switch is if the terms of the contract
>>> have been changed. Fraud is.

>> So you have no problem with price fixing, collusion, insider trading and
>> predatory pricing?

> Price fixing is less of any issue in a competitive environment, and in an
> environment with a high level of consumer awareness. Collusion is the same.
> If only people would wise up to the dodgy tactice of these companies and
> stop giving them their money (this is where the competition part comes in).
>
> For example: I don't buy petrol from BP anymore because of the oil spill
> debacle. Our local BPs may be distantly related to the culprit in the
> states, but there's a relation none-the-less. What they have done is
> devastating and I think they should pay all costs relating to this
> incident. I will not support them by giving them my money. The thing is
> that a lot of consumers aren't aware like this - they'll still happily give
> BP their money. That's their free choice of course, but my personal opinion
> is that BP as a company should crawl into a hole and die for what they have
> done.

Yeah right whatever

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...er-delta-shell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> "Freedom" is the ability for us to be sovereign over our own bodies and
>>> the work we do, so long as we grant others the same freedom.

>> And how does addiction fit into that?

> Everyone is addicted to something. Air. Food. This can not be helped.

That’s not what “addiction” means.

> With substance addiction, people chose willingly to take those substances
> in the first place.

Not always.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> So you have no problem with price fixing, collusion, insider trading and
>> predatory pricing?

> Price fixing is less of any issue in a competitive environment ...

That’s a content-free tautology. How do you keep the environment
competitive, and ensure that anti-competitive practices like price fixing,
collusion and predatory pricing don’t happen in the first place?

> Predatory pricing? This isn't such an issue if consumers were more aware
> and more conscientious as to where their money goes.

But consumers will tend to go for the cheapest product. It’t not really
their problem whether a competitor goes out of business as a result.