Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Region-Coded Ink Cartridges??

Region-Coded Ink Cartridges??

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hsnr3u$7n9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:

> It doesn't need a ruling, DVD player distributors in nz only distribute
> region free players ...

The Panasonic player I got last year was not sold region-free. Though making
it so was treated as a warranty repair.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hsnr3u$7n9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:

> DVD player distributors in nz only distribute region free players ...

There have been mentions in this very noisegroup about laptops with Toshiba
drives, I think it was, where the firmware refused to read discs with the
wrong region code. So NZ distributors do indeed sell region-restricted
products.

Me

> In message<hsnr3u$7n9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:
>
>> It doesn't need a ruling, DVD player distributors in nz only distribute
>> region free players ...

> The Panasonic player I got last year was not sold region-free. Though making
> it so was treated as a warranty repair.

Most bluray players are also not region free. Some can be made region
free for DVD playback, but it doesn't always unlock Bluray playback.
Thankfully the majority of disks are region free, all Warner, most Sony
titles. Fox seem to be the worst.

Sweetpea

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:50:20 +1200, Me wrote:

> Most bluray players are also not region free. Some can be made region
> free for DVD playback, but it doesn't always unlock Bluray playback.
> Thankfully the majority of disks are region free, all Warner, most Sony
> titles. Fox seem to be the worst.

If the player is not region free in all respects then it is defective and does not comply with the Consumer
Guarantees Act.

ditto for DVDs - blu-ray or normal.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <hsfm2p$mld$(E-Mail Removed)>, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>> And how long do they think customers will put up with this sort of thing ?
>> There are at least a few of us that aren't stupid ... aren't there ?
>>

>The makers seem to keep moving to smaller and more expensive cartridges,
>and have been doing so for about the last 15 years.
>I doubt they will change unless forced by regulation.

Time to get out the old MX80 then ? ... though I might struggle to find a
connection cable.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <hshvhp$5oq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 14/05/2010 9:05 a.m., Allistar wrote:
>

>> Yes - I argue that such regulation shouldn't exist. With it, there is no
>> free market.

>Should that include the freedom to deceive the customer ?

... and there is no such thing as a "free" market. Regulation exists to try
to prop up various corners of the playing field to make them "freer"
markets.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 15 May 2010 23:56:20 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Looks like HP is offering to help change the region setting on the
>> customer’s printer
>>

> <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...nter-regionali
>sation>.
>>
>> Which begs the question: why the bloody hell do they have this
>> regionalization in the first place?

>Perhaps to prevent people buying printers cheaper from one region and importing
> them into the region
>where they live?

... and the reason for this would be ... to limit the "free" market perhaps
?
Let's face it, companies don't want free markets ... they want to control
the markets. It's all about control, isn't it ?

Sweetpea

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:37:43 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sat, 15 May 2010 23:56:20 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> Looks like HP is offering to help change the region setting on the
>>> customer’s printer
>>>

>> <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...nter-regionali
>>sation>.
>>>
>>> Which begs the question: why the bloody hell do they have this
>>> regionalization in the first place?

>>Perhaps to prevent people buying printers cheaper from one region and
>>importing
>> them into the region
>>where they live?

> .. and the reason for this would be ... to limit the "free" market
> perhaps ?
> Let's face it, companies don't want free markets ... they want to
> control the markets. It's all about control, isn't it ?

Yes, and yes.

And that is why the Consumer Guarantees Act is so important.

victor

On 17/05/10 10:55, Allistar wrote:
> victor wrote:

>>> I would expect any sale agreement to state that the product being
>>> purchased lives up the the promises made. If no such clause exists in the
>>> sale agreement, then I wouldn't buy the product. No need for regulation -
>>> just personal responsibility.

>> So what happens when the deal doesn't meet your expectations ?

> That depends - does the deal meet the terms of the contract? Yes? Then I
> stop buying from this supplier and tell others why.
>
> The deal in contrary to the contract? Then I inform them of this and if they
> don't fix it, then I get the legal system involved.

Regulation is needed then.

Me

On 17/05/2010 11:33 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article<hsfm2p$mld$(E-Mail Removed)>, Me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>>> And how long do they think customers will put up with this sort of thing ?
>>> There are at least a few of us that aren't stupid ... aren't there ?
>>>

>> The makers seem to keep moving to smaller and more expensive cartridges,
>> and have been doing so for about the last 15 years.
>> I doubt they will change unless forced by regulation.

> Time to get out the old MX80 then ? ... though I might struggle to find a
> connection cable.

The first inkjet I had was an HP deskjet - IIRC a 500c.
It came with a black and tricolor cartridge, the black could be bought
in small capacity (about 30ml) or large capacity (about 60ml). I think
the 60ml black cartridge cost about $60, so about $1 per ml. They
seemed to last a very long time. The colour print quality was awful, but
black text was fine.
The Epson cartridges I buy now are 13ml and cost about $25 each (8 of
them to a set). HP have set the record - well so far as I've heard.
Some of their consumer photo printers have cartridges with ink
capacities as low as 2ml.