Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: 64 bits

Re: 64 bits

PA Bear [MS MVP]

[Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
crosspost]

Tester wrote:
> Hello there,
> What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
> system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
> programs?
> Thank you

James Kosin

On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
> crosspost]
>
> Tester wrote:
>> Hello there,
>> What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
>> system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
>> programs?
>> Thank you

Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

Bob I

James Kosin wrote:
> On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>>[Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
>>crosspost]
>>
>>Tester wrote:
>>
>>>Hello there,
>>>What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
>>>system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
>>>programs?
>>>Thank you

> Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
lacking.

Paul

James Kosin wrote:
> On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
>> crosspost]
>>
>> Tester wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>> What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
>>> system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
>>> programs?
>>> Thank you

> Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

For comments on WinXP x64 operating system, read the
customer reviews here. By reading this, you may avoid
making a mistake. (This is separate from the initial
question.)

Later 64 bit OSes, may have better end user reviews.

If you look around, you may be able to find an "Upgrade Advisor", or
compatibility information, to help you in your decision.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...s/default.aspx

The "Upgrade Advisor" has these prerequisites.

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2
* .NET Framework 2.0 or higher if running Windows XP

Paul

John Turco

Bob I wrote:

> James Kosin wrote:
> > On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> >
> >>[Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
> >>crosspost]

> > Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

> Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
> lacking.

I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
program), because it's a 32-bit application.

Oddly, however, it had no real qualms about Paint Shop Pro 7 (also 32-bit)!

Yeah, I know...Communicator is an old product (2003) from a defunct company,
and PSP 7 is even hoarier (2000). Regardless, I love both of 'em and want
to extend their respective lives, as long as possible.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Paul Shapiro

"John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob I wrote:
>>
>> James Kosin wrote:

>> > Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

>> Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
>> lacking.

> I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
> it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
> install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
> program), because it's a 32-bit application.
>
> Oddly, however, it had no real qualms about Paint Shop Pro 7 (also
> 32-bit)!
>
> Yeah, I know...Communicator is an old product (2003) from a defunct
> company,
> and PSP 7 is even hoarier (2000). Regardless, I love both of 'em and want
> to extend their respective lives, as long as possible.
>
> --
> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>

The 64-bit os can run any 32-bit application I've tried, but some older
applications used a 16-bit installer to install their 32-bit application.
16-bit software will not run on x64, so the installer fails even though the
application might work if you can get it installed. Maybe you can find
alternative installation instructions for x64?

Bobby Johnson

Mostly likely they have 16-bit installers which cannot run on 64-bit
Windows.

The 32-bit apps will run on Win 7 64-bit if you can figure a way to get
them installed.

I think you can find some fixes or work arounds if you search the internet.

Paul Shapiro wrote:

> "John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<edited for brevity>

> > I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
> > it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
> > install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
> > program), because it's a 32-bit application.

<edited>

> The 64-bit os can run any 32-bit application I've tried, but some older
> applications used a 16-bit installer to install their 32-bit application.
> 16-bit software will not run on x64, so the installer fails even though the
> application might work if you can get it installed. Maybe you can find
> alternative installation instructions for x64?

I'm not particularly worried about the notebook PC, actually.

However, I'm going to install Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit,
on a new desktop computer build (whenever I get around to slapping
it together, that is); of course, I expect to encounter this same
Netscape issue, then.

Thanks, for replying!

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Bobby Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-05-31 06:56, John Turco wrote:
> > Bob I wrote:

> >> Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
> >> lacking.

> > I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
> > it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
> > install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
> > program), because it's a 32-bit application.
> >
> > Oddly, however, it had no real qualms about Paint Shop Pro 7 (also 32-bit)!
> >
> > Yeah, I know...Communicator is an old product (2003) from a defunct company,
> > and PSP 7 is even hoarier (2000). Regardless, I love both of 'em and want
> > to extend their respective lives, as long as possible.

> Mostly likely they have 16-bit installers which cannot run on 64-bit
> Windows.
>
> The 32-bit apps will run on Win 7 64-bit if you can figure a way to get
> them installed.
>
> I think you can find some fixes or work arounds if you search the internet.

Thanks; I'll probably find a solution, someday.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>