Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: CSS for positioning

Re: CSS for positioning

Neredbojias

On 13 May 2010, Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In message <hshq8m$mhh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
> Jonathan N. Little <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Lewis wrote:

>>> Cigarettes were recommended by doctors for a variety of uses,
>>> including upset stomachs, laryngitis (!!), and stress. They are
>>> actually good for relieving stress.

>> Death is a good reliever of stress as well, but not recommended

> You can smoke and continue to work and earn money. You can't do the
> same with alcohol or dying.

What if I sell my body to science part-by-part?

--
Neredbojias

http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/

dorayme

In article <Um_Gn.9643$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jeremy J Starcher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2010 16:30:11 -0500, Jenn wrote:

> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html
> > xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <head>
> > />

> AH.. yes.. XHTML .. the failed idea.
>
> A short history of the web to explain where XHTML came from.

A pretty good post this, Jeremy!

--
dorayme

freemont

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:54:57 -0500, Jenn writ:

> "Jeremy J Starcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I know that I (and many other web builders) don't care about "pixel-
>> perfect" .. [...] It looks
>> good at anything we load it on and the minor variations are just that
>> ... minor.

> I feel the same way about sites I create...

Do you? If you truly feel that way, and you want your sites to work
correctly under all circumstances, and you take great pride in your
efforts, why, oh why do you display such insouciance when it is pointed
out to you that your favorite site looks like this:

<http://freemontsoffice.com/test/jenn/cdkdistribution.png>

That's just the home page. Some pages have even more scrollbars.

Doesn't that /bother/ you?? Does it concern you in the least?

And don't cop out with that "the client likes it" ****. Enough of that.
The client doesn't know any better. _You_ are supposed to.

For now, forget about about whether you follow standards or use XHTML or
believe in validation or do things your way or another person's way. /The
site doesn't work./

The site doesn't work. Why don't you care?
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

Doug Miller

In article <hshoqd$fm8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Doug Miller wrote:
>> In article <hshkbo$bqq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Jonathan N.
>> Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: [...]
>>> Although there are much larger sites out there, mine is not small
>>> and is contrary to her assertion that validation is only possible
>>> with small hobby sites.

>> And, as counterexamples, I offer:
>>
>> http://www.ibm.com
>> http://www.sony.com
>> http://www.mit.edu
>> http://www.ca.gov
>> http://www.navy.mil

>question .. the validator says it was checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

The validator checks a[n] [X]HTML document against whatever DOCTYPE the
document declares that it is.

ibm.com and ca.gov validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict
navy.mil as HTML 4.01 Transitional

>I thought I've seen people here say that that particular doctype was old and
>shouldn't be used now? 1999?

Probably you should go back and re-read those comments...

Doug Miller

In article <hshoqd$fm8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Doug Miller wrote:
>> In article <hshkbo$bqq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Jonathan N.
>> Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: [...]
>>> Although there are much larger sites out there, mine is not small
>>> and is contrary to her assertion that validation is only possible
>>> with small hobby sites.

>> And, as counterexamples, I offer:
>>
>> http://www.ibm.com
>> http://www.sony.com
>> http://www.mit.edu
>> http://www.ca.gov
>> http://www.navy.mil

>question .. the validator says it was checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

ibm.com and ca.gov validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict, navy.mil as HTML 4.01
Transitional.

The validator checks a site against whatever DOCTYPE the site declares itself
as.

>I thought I've seen people here say that that particular doctype was old and
>shouldn't be used now? 1999?

Perhaps you should go back and re-read those posts. I think you may have
misunderstood.

Doug Miller

In article <hshro4$7vo$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Doug Miller wrote:
>> In article <hshofr$dbs$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Jenn"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> If I was of a mindset to bug someone who I thought was killfiling
>>> me, I'd do it right to begin with..... I wouldn't mess with doing
>>> it once or twice between the computers I use... but I *don't really
>>> have the mindset* to do that ... LOL
>>>
>>> Not that I really need to explain what I do to anyone..

>> That's true, you don't, and the explanation isn't really important.
>> I'm just
>> pointing out to you what it looks like, or may look like, to others.

>Well... why do people even care about such a thing?

Because changing your nym after being publicly killfiled is one of the
characteristics of a troll.

Jenn

dorayme wrote:
> In article <hshkbo$bqq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:
>>> Why not use the opportunity of someone like Jenn from a different
>>> background wandering in here to discuss all manner of interesting
>>> and relevant website matters without taking it as an excuse to be
>>> mean spirited.

>> Different background? I have a degree in Fine Arts, Ad a career in
>> main-frame computers, but started web design in the very same manner.
>> Trial and error, peeking at code, books... I'd guess there are many
>> here self-taught. I just did not stay static and satisfied with what
>> I did in the mid 90s.
>>

> Perhaps background was not quite the most exact word I could have
> used. People are different and have different abilities and
> propensities and experience behind the CV bullet point list of
> past activities. There are many ways people seem to feel gives
> them the right to get stuck into others in unseemingly manner.
>
> One of them is simply knowing more. But another is rarely
> noticed: that you have struggled to overcome difficulties in
> certain ways and succeeded in certain ways and that gives you
> rights too. Well, it does not give you rights to hurt other
> people's feelings unnecessarily. This is not a matter of opinion,
> it is not some relative thing, you think this, I think that, we
> are all entitled to our opinions, all is valid. No, it is a
> simple fact. Accept it.

I came here hoping to find people like myself .. not carbon copies, but
people who I could talk "websites" with... talk about loving the creativity
of it and the excitement of figuring out how things work ... talk about the
customer who wanted the world and how, somehow, we figured it out and gave
them what they wanted.

dorayme .. you've been one person who showed me kindness. You let me be who
I am and didn't just get angry at me because I don't fit a specific mold.
You actually gave me encouragement and showed me that you accepted me as I
am. I've never had the opportunity to be around other people who did
websites before. I didn't really know it would feel like a feeding frenzy
in a shark tank, tho. One cut, then blood and drawn... and then a violent
feeding frenzy.

>>> There are plenty of people, I guarantee it, who
>>> would be appalled (albeit quietly) at the outrageous and
>>> unnecessary viciousness of the remarks directed at her.

>> Maybe, but not the one that recognize that her "arguments" are mostly
>> false. When challenged offers "proof" with no basis. And then is
>> dismissive to anyone who does offer credible evidence to the
>> contrary. Although there are much larger sites out there, mine is
>> not small and is contrary to her assertion that validation is only
>> possible with small hobby sites.

> I am not disputing all of this. Perhaps if many of the chief
> offenders had been more polite and patient, the Oklahoman lady's
> html/css soul, as some see it, could be saved.

I think this is the second time you're referred to the html/css soul ...
it's an interesting comparison for sure. There's a lot of things I'd love
to learn, but many of them I don't know about to even ask the right
questions, and who wants to ask questions to people who just want to tell
you how stupid you are? Well.. I'm not stupid, and I had to have a good
measure of intelligence to get this far just on my own. I'd rather keep
learning on my own than allow such hateful people to get to me. I don't
need people to tell me I'm stupid... I need people to understand where I'm
coming from and put themselves in my shoes for a while. I can't afford to
let such people get into my head and drag me down because I've worked too
hard on my own studying and learning so I could get a good job. I'm
successful, now, and I intend on working hard to keep being successful, too.
It would be nice, tho, to find a place within a group of people who enjoy
this like I enjoy it.

> Since so many of
> you have been so awful, I feel quite inhibited in offering the
> least criticism of her ideas and practices. It is a sin to do or
> act or say anything which, in the opinion of the reasonable
> person, would inhibit a dorayme. This is a fact. Accept it.

Thank you for being kind to me, dorayme .. and thanks to the few men here
who have also been nice to me. I think I will try killfiling a few people ..
one at a time .. until those left are good for me personally to interact
with... and not after my blood.

I have an idea ... some here like graphics.. like you and I ... have you
ever participated in a graphics tennis match game? Have you heard of it
before? It is so much fun. In my photo album, I have several images I
created that were a result of a graphics tennis match.

Here are the links:
http://pqlr.org/photogallery/display...album=19&pos=0
http://pqlr.org/photogallery/display...album=19&pos=1
http://pqlr.org/photogallery/display...album=21&pos=0
http://pqlr.org/photogallery/display...album=21&pos=1
http://pqlr.org/photogallery/display...album=21&pos=2
http://pqlr.org/photogallery/display...album=21&pos=3

This is soley done for the sheer joy of creating images. Are you
interested? Anyone else interested? I'll post a new thread if anyone is
interested. I'd like to do something that would be fun here......

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Jenn

Doug Miller wrote:
> In article <hshro4$7vo$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Jenn"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Doug Miller wrote:

>>> That's true, you don't, and the explanation isn't really important.
>>> I'm just
>>> pointing out to you what it looks like, or may look like, to others.

>> Well... why do people even care about such a thing?
>>

> Because changing your nym after being publicly killfiled is one of the
> characteristics of a troll.

So what I say means nothing then?

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Jenn

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:hsieau$mdj$(E-Mail Removed)-
> september.org:
>
>> Doug Miller wrote:

>>> Because changing your nym after being publicly killfiled is one of
>>> the characteristics of a troll.

>> So what I say means nothing then?
>>

> No, it means that it's an indication, not that it is so. If you see a
> dark haired, olive skinned person with a sombrero and a poncho on, you
> might assume that person speaks Spanish, right? It could just be an
> actor, or someone wearing a party costume.
>
> This is why I have one identity that I use all the time. That way,
> if I post something on one machine, and someone responds to it, my
> newsreader alerts me to it, even though I am on another machine.

I only go by Jenn on these ngs ... I haven't changed that. I don't see a
problem with that.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

dorayme

In article <hsidn5$flc$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Doug Miller) wrote:

> >Well... why do people even care about such a thing?
> >

> Because changing your nym after being publicly killfiled is one of the
> characteristics of a troll.

And is there a special characteristic (that is not descriptive of
the activity) for people who just keep on hounding lone
Oklahomans?

My my, the energy that some people have put into chasing down
every imaginable mistake by Jenn in such contemptuous terms must
have so drained the pursuers that the task of killfiling her (big
deal, three times) would have assumed the order of difficulty of
making a human return trip to Mars. It was, like, *so* hard to
tell that it was *Jenn*, she was *so* good and sophisticated at
hiding her identities!

One can have trouble killfiling all kinds of people, many of whom
would not be trolls but mean sobs with just one address, they pop
up here and there in different usenet groups that one does not
expect and does not think to make provision for.

It would not occur to these poor chaps to stop announcing with
such great fanfare *publicly* that they are going to kf someone.

Who do they think they are, High Court judges in the days of
hanging in murder cases donning black caps?

--
dorayme

Datalist and CSS positioning Eric ASP .Net 1 09-14-2005 03:38 PM
OT ...CSS positioning ASP .Net 1 04-07-2004 12:58 PM
Re: CSS positioning help - Mozilla brucie HTML 8 06-29-2003 05:39 PM
Re: CSS positioning help - Mozilla David Graham HTML 1 06-28-2003 05:15 PM
Re: css positioning vs. tables PeterMcC HTML 0 06-23-2003 04:45 PM

Advertisments