Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: CSS for positioning

Re: CSS for positioning

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My site uses tables for layout. I was experimenting yesterday with CSS
> for positioning and ran into problems.
>
> More specifically I was trying to convert this table-based page:
> http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/part2.html
> (ignore the links which do not work)
>
> Here is as far as I got:
> http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/
>
> There are the following problems:

It has too many validation errors to be simply ignored.

<http://validator.w3.org/>

> 4. One more question: does it really make sense to convert a table-based
> layout of a thumbnail page like this for instance
> http://www.molon.de/galleries/Jordan/Jerash/
>
> to a CSS-based layout?

Apart from yes if it is easy for you, no.

> It would seem that for that page using tables for layout is much
> simpler, or what do you think?

For just those few pics, it does not matter greatly but a non
table fluid design using floats or better inline-blocks would be
superior and better practice.

--
dorayme

rf

<sheldonlg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 5/9/2010 6:48 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
>> says...
>>> It has too many validation errors to be simply ignored.

>> I've now added the missing style sheet and set the document to
>> transitional. No more validation errors, but all layout problems except
>> Nr 2. still are there. What needs to be done?

> Basically you are asking the same thing that I asked when I started the
> interminable thread of "I have a problem with this".

OH NO, Not Again!

> Simple answer:
> Leave it in tables and format those tables via css.

Nope.

rf

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W8yFn.23824$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <sheldonlg> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> On 5/9/2010 6:48 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
>>> says...
>>>
>>> I've now added the missing style sheet and set the document to
>>> transitional. No more validation errors, but all layout problems except
>>> Nr 2. still are there. What needs to be done?

>> Basically you are asking the same thing that I asked when I started the
>> interminable thread of "I have a problem with this".

> OH NO, Not Again!
>

>> Simple answer:
>> Leave it in tables and format those tables via css.

> Nope.

Sorry Sheldon. Pressed enter too quickly on that one.

<restart>

Nope.

See my reply to the OP.

There are much better ways to present thumbnails than a table. And not just
because "tables are for tabular data".

A grid of thumbnails that will fill the entire canvas is the ultimate goal.

It's been discussed quite a bit and the solution is inline-block. Of course
IE does not like inline-block being applied to anything that is not already
inline to start with so choices are limited, but available.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

> On 5/9/2010 6:48 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> > In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
> > says...
> >> It has too many validation errors to be simply ignored.

> > I've now added the missing style sheet and set the document to
> > transitional. No more validation errors, but all layout problems except
> > Nr 2. still are there. What needs to be done?

> Basically you are asking the same thing that I asked when I started the
> interminable thread of "I have a problem with this".

When you asked the oq you only asked about "a big space between
the first item on in the center on the top and second item." and
"Any help would be appreciated."

--
dorayme

BootNic

On Sun, 09 May 2010 13:41:34 GMT
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> There are much better ways to present thumbnails than a table.
> And not just because "tables are for tabular data".
>
> A grid of thumbnails that will fill the entire canvas is the
> ultimate goal.
>
> It's been discussed quite a bit and the solution is
> inline-block. Of course IE does not like inline-block being
> applied to anything that is not already inline to start with so
> choices are limited, but available.

IE does inline-block just fine. IE 6/7 for block level elements just
need a bit of help.

display:inline; zoom:1;

--
BootNic Sun May 9, 2010 10:49 pm
Happiness is not something you experience, it's something you

⁕ 64 days remaining

Datalist and CSS positioning Eric ASP .Net 1 09-14-2005 03:38 PM
OT ...CSS positioning ASP .Net 1 04-07-2004 12:58 PM
Re: CSS positioning help - Mozilla brucie HTML 8 06-29-2003 05:39 PM
Re: CSS positioning help - Mozilla David Graham HTML 1 06-28-2003 05:15 PM
Re: css positioning vs. tables PeterMcC HTML 0 06-23-2003 04:45 PM

Advertisments