Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Boot Camp

Boot Camp

PWB

I'm thinking of purchasing an Apple Mac Laptop. To run windows on a Mac
with an intel processor, is boot camp all I would need , or are thyere
any other accessories needed please.

chuckcar

wetpixel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:090520100931518510%(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Evan Platt
> <evan@*******************************> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 08 May 2010 10:39:54 -0700, Evan Platt
>> <evan@*******************************> wrote:

>> >And the media (CD)

>> ..or obviously an ISO / image would work too.

> Nope, has to be physical media.

That would only be true if it had physical errors on the disk. Alcohol
120% uses a legit drive controller to simulate the drive. Windows
doesn't know the difference. It just sees it as a SCSI CDROM drive.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

PeeCee

"PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:idgFn.31304$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> I'm thinking of purchasing an Apple Mac Laptop. To run windows on a Mac
> with an intel processor, is boot camp all I would need , or are thyere any
> other accessories needed please.

So if I buy an Apple and paint it 'Orange' will it taste like an Orange?
If you want Windows buy a PC.

P.

chuckcar

wetpixel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:100520101626530145%(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9D73A558F636Cchuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> That would only be true if it had physical errors on the disk.
>> Alcohol 120% uses a legit drive controller to simulate the drive.
>> Windows doesn't know the difference. It just sees it as a SCSI CDROM
>> drive.

> Okay.
> That would require WIndows already be running before the install, or
> on a second drive, wouldn't it?

Or a version for whatever OS you *are* running. Or a different program
that behaves the same way.

> I just asked an IT guy; he said you can open an image in Parallels or
> VMWare, so if you were planning for either of those (to run Windows
> concurrently with Mac OS X) then you'd be set with an image.
> Apple has also provided tools to boot from a CD over a network (like
> the MacBook Air would need).
> I have to back off; I perceive too many ways I might be wrong about
> this.

*if* the computer sees it as a real CDROM drive, the only contraints
would be physical errors on the CD not being there - copy protection in
other words - or it not being a low enough drive letter. I've has some
software which I *had* to burn because it wouldn't accept any drive
letter other than D:

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

New Zealand Foo Camp (Baa Camp) Mauricio Freitas NZ Computing 1 02-04-2007 09:31 PM
5-Day CCIE Voice Lab Instructor Led Boot Camp :: SPECIAL PRICE! Matt Cisco 0 05-18-2005 05:29 PM
MCAD Boot Camp Revisited Sven MCSD 0 10-22-2004 06:28 PM
MCSD boot camp? Chris MCSD 5 08-28-2004 02:49 PM
CCIE Boot Camp's Town Dummy Cisco 0 08-16-2004 01:33 PM

Advertisments