Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Intel vs ARM

Intel vs ARM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Intel continues to try hard to push its Atom platform into markets currently
dominated by ARM
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/05/intel-fires-opening-salvo-in-x86-vs-arm-smartphone-wars.ars>.

Frankly, I don’t rate its chances. It offers a more complex, more power-
hungry, more expensive chip, with the only redeeming feature being binary
compatibility with Windows software that nobody cares about in this space.
It doesn’t even have a volume advantage: I think ARM processors have units
shipments several times that of x86. And as the article points out, ARM
chips are available cheaply from a whole range of sources, while Intel chips
only come from ... Intel.