Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN - Security?

Sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN - Security?

buycadcdr@hotmail.com

I am sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN. Is it safe
for me to access my online Bank Account? will he not be able to
infiltrate my web page or retrieve my password?...Im a little green on
wireless technology?
Note: I have created a Firewall preventing others access to my P.C.

Dave

if your bank uses a secure page then you are safe as everything is encrypted
to and from them. if they don't use a secure page then you better get
another bank!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN. Is it safe
> for me to access my online Bank Account? will he not be able to
> infiltrate my web page or retrieve my password?...Im a little green on
> wireless technology?
> Note: I have created a Firewall preventing others access to my P.C.

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Slightly better questions would be:

1. Does your neighbor know you are 'sharing' his connection?

2. What are the terms of your neighbor's contract with his ISP?

Probably, Benjamin Smith III could help you:

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/2317

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I am sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN. Is it safe
> for me to access my online Bank Account? will he not be able to
> infiltrate my web page or retrieve my password?...Im a little green on
> wireless technology?
> Note: I have created a Firewall preventing others access to my P.C.

Jack

Hi

Firewall set correctly will help to prevent accessing you Hard drive.

However Wireless is exposed to the capacity to Sniff and decipher the
traffic beyond the Firewall.

If WPA2 security measures are in place it is very hard to decipher but it is
not full prove.

Personally I would not do my banking even through my own Wireless
connection, in your case your wireless security is in some one else hardware
which makes it even more dangerous.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I am sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN. Is it safe
> for me to access my online Bank Account? will he not be able to
> infiltrate my web page or retrieve my password?...Im a little green on
> wireless technology?
> Note: I have created a Firewall preventing others access to my P.C.

David {MVP}

I would second Jacks thoughts on this, unless you are willing to give your
neighbor your bank book to do your banking I would not do this myself. All
traffic is going through his system, he would be in the perfect position to
intercept all your transmissions, given time and a desire he could know
everything you are doing online. Not to say he would, but he could.

David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Firewall set correctly will help to prevent accessing you Hard drive.
>
> However Wireless is exposed to the capacity to Sniff and decipher the
> traffic beyond the Firewall.
>
> If WPA2 security measures are in place it is very hard to decipher but it
> is
> not full prove.
>
> Personally I would not do my banking even through my own Wireless
> connection, in your case your wireless security is in some one else
> hardware
> which makes it even more dangerous.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I am sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN. Is it safe
>> for me to access my online Bank Account? will he not be able to
>> infiltrate my web page or retrieve my password?...Im a little green on
>> wireless technology?
>> Note: I have created a Firewall preventing others access to my P.C.

Dave

i repeat... if you are banking at a secure site then everything is encrypted
with (hopefully) 128 bit ssl even over the wireless part of the path, so the
neighbor couldn't snoop on that any more than he could if it were on a wire.
if your bank doesn't have a secure site then get another bank!

"David {MVP}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would second Jacks thoughts on this, unless you are willing to give your
>neighbor your bank book to do your banking I would not do this myself. All
>traffic is going through his system, he would be in the perfect position to
>intercept all your transmissions, given time and a desire he could know
>everything you are doing online. Not to say he would, but he could.
>
> David {MVP}
> Microsoft Mobile Devices
>
> "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> Firewall set correctly will help to prevent accessing you Hard drive.
>>
>> However Wireless is exposed to the capacity to Sniff and decipher the
>> traffic beyond the Firewall.
>>
>> If WPA2 security measures are in place it is very hard to decipher but it
>> is
>> not full prove.
>>
>> Personally I would not do my banking even through my own Wireless
>> connection, in your case your wireless security is in some one else
>> hardware
>> which makes it even more dangerous.
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> I am sharing a wireless connection with a neighbours WLAN. Is it safe
>>> for me to access my online Bank Account? will he not be able to
>>> infiltrate my web page or retrieve my password?...Im a little green on
>>> wireless technology?
>>> Note: I have created a Firewall preventing others access to my P.C.

David {MVP}

Precisely, and if the wire goes into the front of your neighbor house, and
out the back of his house, what is to prevent him/her from cutting the wire,
and running everything from the wire through his computer, before passing it
out the back door? In this case that may very well be what he is doing. Ever
hear of a man in the middle attack? Ever hear of a thing called a packet
sniffer? You have radio waves going into your neighbor home, and they are
coming out of his home on a wire. Some where in his home, they are being
converted from a radio wave, to data on a wire. Anywhere in that process
it's possible to put a packet sniffer, that is a simple fact. Is he running
an unsecured network? If so not only is it possible for him to be doing it,
it's possible that his network has been compromised by a third unknown party
as well. Now I will grant you that it may indeed be unlikely that any of
this is happening, but the question I heard was not how likely it would be,
but is it possible. And yes Dave it is indeed possible.

Want to read more? Check out http://www.ouah.org/coverstory20001218.html

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
MARA - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

news:uZADQe%(E-Mail Removed)...