Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Best way to handle UTF-8 in C++

Re: Best way to handle UTF-8 in C++

Juha Nieminen

Peter Olcott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am looking for a way to handle UTF-8 text in my C++
> application. The ideal case would be an STL class that
> handles UTF-8. What is the next best thing?

Try this: http://utfcpp.sourceforge.net/

It may look a bit complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it,
it's actually pretty easy and simple to use.

Juha Nieminen

Peter Olcott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Juha Nieminen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4be2fa33$0$11839$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Peter Olcott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I am looking for a way to handle UTF-8 text in my C++
>>> application. The ideal case would be an STL class that
>>> handles UTF-8. What is the next best thing?

>> Try this: http://utfcpp.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> It may look a bit complicated at first, but once you get
>> the hang of it,
>> it's actually pretty easy and simple to use.

> Is this one reliable?

From your other posts I get the impression that you don't want to
spend time actually testing evaluating new libraries (because it costs
your valuable time or whatever). Instead, you want others to do that
work for you and simply report their experience, in order to save your
time, money, or whatever. For free.

If you are so afraid of spending your valuable time in actually testing
new libraries (and instead you want to spend your time participating in
long threads about inconsequential things, complaining how learning new
things costs you valuable time), then the solution is rather simple: Don't
try it. There, you saved lots of time. (You got nowhere, but at least you
didn't spend any time getting anywhere, so it's a net win.)

On the other hand, if you really need and want a solution to your UTF-8
handling problems, then do some freaking work. Don't expect others to do
your work for you and offer the results in a silver platter.

The library I mention above is free. Just try it. If you don't like it,
then discard it. Your time cannot be *that* valuable.

DaveB

Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Juha Nieminen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4be2fa33$0$11839$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Peter Olcott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I am looking for a way to handle UTF-8 text in my C++
>>> application. The ideal case would be an STL class that
>>> handles UTF-8. What is the next best thing?

>> Try this: http://utfcpp.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> It may look a bit complicated at first, but once you get
>> the hang of it,
>> it's actually pretty easy and simple to use.

> Is this one reliable?

Oh the irony! (No offense: I was just watching the movie. Could be on
Hulu-for-the-"gifted" (and I'd go there to watch, probably not after it
becomes popular)).

DaveB

Juha Nieminen wrote:
> Peter Olcott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Juha Nieminen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4be2fa33$0$11839$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Try this: http://utfcpp.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> It may look a bit complicated at first, but once you get
>>> the hang of it,
>>> it's actually pretty easy and simple to use.

>> Is this one reliable?

> From your other posts I get the impression that you don't want to
> spend time actually testing evaluating new libraries (because it costs
> your valuable time or whatever). Instead, you want others to do that
> work for you and simply report their experience, in order to save your
> time, money, or whatever. For free.
>
> If you are so afraid of spending your valuable time in actually
> testing new libraries (and instead you want to spend your time
> participating in long threads about inconsequential things,
> complaining how learning new things costs you valuable time), then
> the solution is rather simple: Don't try it. There, you saved lots of
> time. (You got nowhere, but at least you didn't spend any time
> getting anywhere, so it's a net win.)
>
> On the other hand, if you really need and want a solution to your
> UTF-8 handling problems, then do some freaking work. Don't expect
> others to do your work for you and offer the results in a silver
> platter.
>
> The library I mention above is free. Just try it. If you don't like
> it, then discard it. Your time cannot be *that* valuable.

You are so cliche, bitch. (hehe! I love interactive TV!!). You GO Peter
Olcott! We're (what does "rooting" mean?) for you!

DaveB

Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Juha Nieminen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4be51006$0$2544$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Peter Olcott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Juha Nieminen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4be2fa33$0$11839$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is this one reliable?

>> From your other posts I get the impression that you don't
>> want to
>> spend time actually testing evaluating new libraries
>> (because it costs
>> your valuable time or whatever). Instead, you want others
>> to do that
>> work for you and simply report their experience, in order
>> to save your
>> time, money, or whatever. For free.
>>
>> If you are so afraid of spending your valuable time in
>> actually testing
>> new libraries (and instead you want to spend your time
>> participating in
>> long threads about inconsequential things, complaining how
>> learning new
>> things costs you valuable time), then the solution is
>> rather simple: Don't
>> try it. There, you saved lots of time. (You got nowhere,
>> but at least you
>> didn't spend any time getting anywhere, so it's a net
>> win.)
>>
>> On the other hand, if you really need and want a solution
>> to your UTF-8
>> handling problems, then do some freaking work. Don't
>> expect others to do
>> your work for you and offer the results in a silver
>> platter.

> If these answers are already known then it is far less
> expensive for others to provide these answers from the top
> of their head than for me to repeat all this work that has
> already been done.

This is great! I don't need a HD TV, I need readable text from 20 feet
(or 30 if I can .. I don't want that). "If these answers are already
known..". Akin to, "Am I a great orator..", or "Cliche, or not to be...".
What about the "other half" that don't "vote" though? Ooops, you're an
actor, not a politician. I get confused sometimes.