Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco VPN Client and UMTS on Windows 7

Cisco VPN Client and UMTS on Windows 7

Marco Buchholz

Hello,

i have a problem with my cisco vpn client (version 5.0.07.00290) on
windows 7 32-bit. I´ve installed it on a Dell Latitude E6500. If i use
it over my ethernet- or wireless-lan interface, the client works well
but if i use the internal umts card, the client connects as usual but no
data can be send or received through the tunnel anymore.

I´ve tried to change the mtu value on the mobile interface but the
problem still exists ...

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot

Marco

Rob

Marco Buchholz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have a problem with my cisco vpn client (version 5.0.07.00290) on
> windows 7 32-bit. I´ve installed it on a Dell Latitude E6500. If i use
> it over my ethernet- or wireless-lan interface, the client works well
> but if i use the internal umts card, the client connects as usual but no
> data can be send or received through the tunnel anymore.

Is this a problem that occurs immediately, or does it work for a
few minutes and then die?

Marco Buchholz

Am 06.05.2010 15:37, schrieb Rob:
> Marco Buchholz<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i have a problem with my cisco vpn client (version 5.0.07.00290) on
>> windows 7 32-bit. I´ve installed it on a Dell Latitude E6500. If i use
>> it over my ethernet- or wireless-lan interface, the client works well
>> but if i use the internal umts card, the client connects as usual but no
>> data can be send or received through the tunnel anymore.

> Is this a problem that occurs immediately, or does it work for a
> few minutes and then die?

The problem occurs immediately and the connection is up as long as i
close it manually.

Rob

Marco Buchholz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Am 06.05.2010 15:37, schrieb Rob:
>> Marco Buchholz<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i have a problem with my cisco vpn client (version 5.0.07.00290) on
>>> windows 7 32-bit. I´ve installed it on a Dell Latitude E6500. If i use
>>> it over my ethernet- or wireless-lan interface, the client works well
>>> but if i use the internal umts card, the client connects as usual but no
>>> data can be send or received through the tunnel anymore.

>> Is this a problem that occurs immediately, or does it work for a
>> few minutes and then die?

> The problem occurs immediately and the connection is up as long as i
> close it manually.

Ok. I use the same laptop with UMTS internal card, and there is an
issue with the Dell driver. It has a network card emulation built in,
with a DHCP server functionality that has a lease time of only 5 minutes.
This lease is of course expanded every time, but unfortunately Windows
(XP in my case) is resetting all kinds of network uses whenever this
occurs.

We use VPN via PPTP, and it is lost when this occurs.

Workaround: don't use the Dell drivers, but use drivers from Ericsson.
I have asked Dell about this problem but they did not respond.

But when you cannot get it to work at all, you probably have a
different issue.

Marco Buchholz

Am 06.05.2010 20:29, schrieb Rob:
> Marco Buchholz<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Is this a problem that occurs immediately, or does it work for a
>>> few minutes and then die?

>> The problem occurs immediately and the connection is up as long as i
>> close it manually.

> Ok. I use the same laptop with UMTS internal card, and there is an
> issue with the Dell driver. It has a network card emulation built in,
> with a DHCP server functionality that has a lease time of only 5 minutes.
> This lease is of course expanded every time, but unfortunately Windows
> (XP in my case) is resetting all kinds of network uses whenever this
> occurs.
>
> We use VPN via PPTP, and it is lost when this occurs.
>
> Workaround: don't use the Dell drivers, but use drivers from Ericsson.
> I have asked Dell about this problem but they did not respond.
>
> But when you cannot get it to work at all, you probably have a
> different issue.

Thank you,

i´ll test a different driver first. I also read about problems, with
private ip-ranges like 10.x.x.x (that i get from my provider), but the
vpn-client works with win-xp.

Uli Link

Marco Buchholz schrieb:

> i´ll test a different driver first. I also read about problems, with
> private ip-ranges like 10.x.x.x (that i get from my provider), but the
> vpn-client works with win-xp.

Hi Marco,

you should try with the transparent tunneling set to IPsec over TCP and
configure the VPN gateway accordingly.
It's not unusual that providers don't support NAT-T IPsec over udp/4500.
It's worth to to give it a shot.

--
ULi

Marco Buchholz

Am 07.05.2010 15:40, schrieb Uli Link:
> Marco Buchholz schrieb:
>
>> i´ll test a different driver first. I also read about problems, with
>> private ip-ranges like 10.x.x.x (that i get from my provider), but the
>> vpn-client works with win-xp.
>>

> Hi Marco,
>
> you should try with the transparent tunneling set to IPsec over TCP and
> configure the VPN gateway accordingly.
> It's not unusual that providers don't support NAT-T IPsec over udp/4500.
> It's worth to to give it a shot.

Hi Uli,

i´ll try to reconfigure the gateway for this test, but i wonder why the
connection works fine on win-xp.

Thanks for your help!

Marco Buchholz

Am 10.05.2010 15:57, schrieb Marco Buchholz:
> Am 07.05.2010 15:40, schrieb Uli Link:
>> Marco Buchholz schrieb:
>>
>>> i´ll test a different driver first. I also read about problems, with
>>> private ip-ranges like 10.x.x.x (that i get from my provider), but the
>>> vpn-client works with win-xp.
>>>

>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> you should try with the transparent tunneling set to IPsec over TCP and
>> configure the VPN gateway accordingly.
>> It's not unusual that providers don't support NAT-T IPsec over udp/4500.
>> It's worth to to give it a shot.
>>

> Hi Uli,
>
> i´ll try to reconfigure the gateway for this test, but i wonder why the
> connection works fine on win-xp.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Hello,

i found the reason for this problem. The cisco vpn client does not
support WWAN devices on Windows 7.

It´s described here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/secu...lient5006.html

I guess i have to wait for a new client-version, that supports this feature.

alexd

On 26/05/10 07:38, Marco Buchholz wrote:

> I guess i have to wait for a new client-version, that supports this
> feature.

Have you tried the shrew.net client?

21:24:33 up 28 days, 22:02, 0 users, load average: 0.09, 1.20, 1.06
It is better to have been wasted and then sober
than to never have been wasted at all

USB Keys and Cisco VPN Concentrator / Cisco VPN Client ? TechGuy Cisco 3 02-05-2009 01:05 PM
VPN over UMTS Frank Winkler Cisco 4 04-03-2007 08:35 AM
UMTS connection and Cisco VPN client fredje110@hotmail.com Cisco 3 04-17-2006 06:11 PM
Cisco VPN Client vs MS VPN Client jarcar Cisco 0 02-12-2004 12:22 PM
Help with Cisco VPN client 4.0.1 (and 4.0.3) - The VPN client could not find the adapters GUID MP Cisco 2 12-30-2003 03:55 PM

Advertisments