Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: HELP: Long time loading

Re: HELP: Long time loading

Jenn

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Why does my page at www.laurentshowcase.com/music.htm take such a long
>> time to load? To try to cure it I took the player thingies off of the
>> main page and placed them into a frame thinking, at least the main
>> page will load and can show a warning about the long loading tme of
>> the frame. But instead the whole page still takes ages to load. Why?
>> How can I fix it? TIA.

> Well, fix your errors first off; fix the missing end tags especially the
> missing end tags.
>
> As for the time to load, your iframe loads 8 <EMBEDs, so that's why it
> takes a while to load.

Converting the mp3's to streaming asf files will resolve the issue and turn
the sound files into streaming audio. The entire files will not need to be
downloaded when the site loads the page and there will only be a short
stream before the audio begins to play, thus solving the issue.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <hrspnh$hij$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
> Jenn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Converting the mp3's to streaming asf

> Steaming asf??
>
> This is not 1999.
>
> The webpage is not loading all the mp3s into memory, and mp3s stream
> audio just fine, and this is not what is taking time. It is loading 6
> <EMBED objects that takes time.

yes.. streaming asf .... it works .. it's simple and you can also embed only
one player with a drop down list that will play the audio file in that one
player when selected from the droplist.

Sometimes, simple works. It doesn't matter what year it came out or was in
vogue. Take the example of fashion trends.. they always come back into
style every so many years.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <hrspnh$hij$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
> Jenn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Converting the mp3's to streaming asf

> Steaming asf??
>
> This is not 1999.
>
> The webpage is not loading all the mp3s into memory, and mp3s stream
> audio just fine, and this is not what is taking time. It is loading 6
> <EMBED objects that takes time.

No .. it is downloading the entire mp3 file. I re-checked it to make sure
that was what it is doing.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Jenn

"Sherm Pendley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> In message <hrspnh$hij$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org> Jenn
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Converting the mp3's to streaming asf

>> Steaming asf??

> Amusing typo - yes, .asf is a steaming pile. If you use it, you're more
> or less telling everyone with a non-Microsoft device (Droid, iPhone,
> Macintosh, Blackberry, Linux, etc.) to get lost. I don't know too many
> business owners whose goods are in such high demand that they can
> afford to turn away every 10th customer.

The site is simple as it is now. I has an img to indicate the site is
geared for IE, so the solutions I suggested would work. Convert the files
to .asf .. put only one player on the page, code a drop down list with the
titles linked to the streaming audio files and set the drop down list to
load the audio file into the player when selected.

It will make the page faster than it is now, and stream the audio so the
actual files don't have to be loaded in their entirety before the page
loads.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)