Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to get composite video in to laptop?

How to get composite video in to laptop?

~misfit~

The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.

I'm considering the purchase of:

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113

But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
today.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

JohnO

On May 5, 3:47*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>
> I'm considering the purchase of:
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>
> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
> today.
> --
> Cheers,
> Shaun.
>
> "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

You'll need a usb analog tv tuner with a composite video input. These
types are getting rarer these days as everything is going digital.

Maybe something like this (bit oricey though):
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=384505

victor

On 5/05/2010 4:55 p.m., JohnO wrote:
> On May 5, 3:47 pm, "~misfit~"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>>
>> I'm considering the purchase of:
>>
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>>
>> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
>> today.
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Shaun.
>>
>> "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

> You'll need a usb analog tv tuner with a composite video input. These
> types are getting rarer these days as everything is going digital.
>
> Maybe something like this (bit oricey though):
> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=384505

Maybe this one would do

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...ItemID=9361384

Malcolm Moore

On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>
>I'm considering the purchase of:
>
>http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>
>But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
>today.

EOB has been & gone but
CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill

http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResu...x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

$59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a suggestion.

--
Regards
Malcolm

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> On 5/05/2010 4:55 p.m., JohnO wrote:
>> On May 5, 3:47 pm, "~misfit~"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>>>
>>> I'm considering the purchase of:
>>>
>>> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>>>
>>> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
>>> by EOB today.
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Shaun.
>>>
>>> "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

>> You'll need a usb analog tv tuner with a composite video input. These
>> types are getting rarer these days as everything is going digital.
>>
>> Maybe something like this (bit oricey though):
>> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=384505
>>

> Maybe this one would do
>
> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...ItemID=9361384

Thank you gentlemen, they're botha bit expensive for me. It's just that I've
been getting paranoid lately and thought that better security might be good.
Having something like that running to a laptop, (perhaps wirelessly from
another laptop) and an external USB HDD (I have a 1.5TB one) stashed away
where thieves wouldn't look.....
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>>
>> I'm considering the purchase of:
>>
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>>
>> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
>> by EOB today.

> EOB has been & gone but
> CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill
>
> http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResu...x=0&SUBMIT.y=0
>
> $59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a suggestion.

Thank you Malcolm, they're closer to my price range. I'll see if the last
unit is still at the local DSE tomorrow and calculate my debt load....

The one that handles four cameras would be great to just use the cameras on
except they are powered from the monitor unit by voltage on the coax.
Who wants to run a CRT these days?
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>>
>> I'm considering the purchase of:
>>
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>>
>> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
>> by EOB today.

> Definatly not the easycap off deal extreme.
>
> Buggy shitty unsigned drivers that will bluescreen the PC for any
> number of reasons.

I did look at DealExtreme and didn't see anthing that I felt comfortable
with.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

Stephen Worthington

On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:58:42 +1200, Malcolm Moore
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>>
>>I'm considering the purchase of:
>>
>>http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>>
>>But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
>>today.

>EOB has been & gone but
>CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill
>
>http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResu...x=0&SUBMIT.y=0
>
>$59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a suggestion.

With analogue tuners and video in equipment, there are two options:

1) Hardware encoding in the tuner
2) Software encoding using your CPU

If it is not specified, then it will almost certainly be using
software encoding. The results are usually crappy. Firstly, it uses
a *lot* of CPU to keep up with 25 frame per second encoding in real
time. Even if CPU can cope with the average speed, the peaks of
processor needed for complicated frames are *much* more than the
average. Secondly, even if your system is fast enough, Windows is bad
at multitasking real-time software and the result is normally missing
frames where the software had to drop frames because the CPU was taken
away for too long. I have not tried it under Linux, where the
multi-tasking is better controlled, but it is still not a good idea
unless you have a really fast machine to dedicate to the job (ie no
other software running). Not recommended.

So that leaves hardware encoding, which works reasonably well and
normally produces an MPEG2 file similar to DVD format. Under Windows,
I still see dropped frames occasionally, so a dedicated machine is
best - Linux does not do that, and the machine can be used for other
things. But hardware that does hardware encoding is invariably
expensive. You can find it now on TradeMe though, as people are
getting rid of analogue equipment now that they have converted to
digital.

Sweetpea

On Thu, 06 May 2010 00:53:11 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Who wants to run a CRT these days?

Anyone who wants a clear picture with good colour and a close dot pitch?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:58:42 +1200, Malcolm Moore
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
>>>
>>> I'm considering the purchase of:
>>>
>>> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
>>>
>>> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
>>> by EOB today.

>> EOB has been & gone but
>> CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill
>>
>> http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResu...x=0&SUBMIT.y=0
>>
>> $59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a
>> suggestion.

> With analogue tuners and video in equipment, there are two options:
>
> 1) Hardware encoding in the tuner
> 2) Software encoding using your CPU
>
> If it is not specified, then it will almost certainly be using
> software encoding. The results are usually crappy. Firstly, it uses
> a *lot* of CPU to keep up with 25 frame per second encoding in real
> time. Even if CPU can cope with the average speed, the peaks of
> processor needed for complicated frames are *much* more than the
> average. Secondly, even if your system is fast enough, Windows is bad
> at multitasking real-time software and the result is normally missing
> frames where the software had to drop frames because the CPU was taken
> away for too long. I have not tried it under Linux, where the
> multi-tasking is better controlled, but it is still not a good idea
> unless you have a really fast machine to dedicate to the job (ie no
> other software running). Not recommended.
>
> So that leaves hardware encoding, which works reasonably well and
> normally produces an MPEG2 file similar to DVD format. Under Windows,
> I still see dropped frames occasionally, so a dedicated machine is
> best - Linux does not do that, and the machine can be used for other
> things. But hardware that does hardware encoding is invariably
> expensive. You can find it now on TradeMe though, as people are
> getting rid of analogue equipment now that they have converted to
> digital.

Ok, thanks Stephen, good to know.

The analogue stream that I would be encoding if I go ahead with this
(unknown as yet) is monchrome and really basic.
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113 It doesn't have the details
there but I seem to remember reading on the box 380 lines or something? I
would imagine it wouldn't take much CPU to encode that level of input. (But
admit to being totally ignorant in this field.)

Also I *would* be using a dedicated PC, albeit a Pentium M 1.6GHz laptop
(low running costs) writing lo-res video (no good trying to encode better
than the source) to an external HDD over USB (hopefully it would keep up).

The idea being if I was burgled I'd have video of the culprits. The external
HDD would be hidden somewhere so that, again hopefully it wouldn't be found
/ taken. Ultimate plan would be to have a motion sensor and, when motion
sensor is tripped after 'away from home' is switched it would wirelessly
upload video to a server.

However it seems that I'm probably going to have to can this project due to
lack of funds.