Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Pretending to be 32-bit to automatically install a driver

Reply
Thread Tools

Pretending to be 32-bit to automatically install a driver

 
 
Nathan Sokalski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-03-2010
I have a USB device that is used to wirelessly communicate with another
device of mine. The drivers are installed automatically when the device is
plugged into the USB. However, because the device was designed for 32-bit
systems and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, it does not want to install
the drivers correctly. It did everything perfectly on my previous system
(Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit). Is there any way to make my machine
"pretend" to be 32-bit when I plug the USB device in so that the drivers
will be installed correctly? At the rate most places are going with updating
drivers, plugins, and other stuff for 64-bit, I have a feeling it might be a
while before they give me anything designed for my system.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Rosenfeld
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2010
On Mon, 3 May 2010 19:18:30 -0400, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a USB device that is used to wirelessly communicate with another
>device of mine. The drivers are installed automatically when the device is
>plugged into the USB. However, because the device was designed for 32-bit
>systems and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, it does not want to install
>the drivers correctly. It did everything perfectly on my previous system
>(Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit). Is there any way to make my machine
>"pretend" to be 32-bit when I plug the USB device in so that the drivers
>will be installed correctly? At the rate most places are going with updating
>drivers, plugins, and other stuff for 64-bit, I have a feeling it might be a
>while before they give me anything designed for my system.


Nathan,

I have a scanner that only has a 32 bit driver. I installed it using the
Windows XP virtual machine. This comes free with Windows 7 Ultimate -- I
believe you need to download it from the MS web site.
--ron
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Carlos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2010
Nathan,
Have you let Windows 7 64-bit to automatically search for drivers?
Have you gone to the "usb device" manufacturer's web site and check if Win 7
x64 drivers are available?
Other than that the solution is to use your usb device with Windows XP mode
virtual machine.
Carlos

"Nathan Sokalski" wrote:

> I have a USB device that is used to wirelessly communicate with another
> device of mine. The drivers are installed automatically when the device is
> plugged into the USB. However, because the device was designed for 32-bit
> systems and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, it does not want to install
> the drivers correctly. It did everything perfectly on my previous system
> (Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit). Is there any way to make my machine
> "pretend" to be 32-bit when I plug the USB device in so that the drivers
> will be installed correctly? At the rate most places are going with updating
> drivers, plugins, and other stuff for 64-bit, I have a feeling it might be a
> while before they give me anything designed for my system.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Sokalski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2010
Yes, I have let Windows 7 64-bit automatically search for drivers (including
on the CD that came with the device), but it didn't find any. I have also
been to the USB device manufacturer's website, and a response to an email I
sent them they said that drivers for Windows 7 and 64-bit are not yet
available (but 32-bit is available for Vista, which is why I am assuming
there is some way for me to get it to work on my machine if I pretend to be
32-bit). I have not yet tried the Windows XP mode virtual machine, so I will
see if that works.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nathan,
> Have you let Windows 7 64-bit to automatically search for drivers?
> Have you gone to the "usb device" manufacturer's web site and check if Win
> 7
> x64 drivers are available?
> Other than that the solution is to use your usb device with Windows XP
> mode
> virtual machine.
> Carlos
>
> "Nathan Sokalski" wrote:
>
>> I have a USB device that is used to wirelessly communicate with another
>> device of mine. The drivers are installed automatically when the device
>> is
>> plugged into the USB. However, because the device was designed for 32-bit
>> systems and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, it does not want to install
>> the drivers correctly. It did everything perfectly on my previous system
>> (Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit). Is there any way to make my machine
>> "pretend" to be 32-bit when I plug the USB device in so that the drivers
>> will be installed correctly? At the rate most places are going with
>> updating
>> drivers, plugins, and other stuff for 64-bit, I have a feeling it might
>> be a
>> while before they give me anything designed for my system.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Warren
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2010
In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Nathan
Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>Yes, I have let Windows 7 64-bit automatically search for drivers (including
>on the CD that came with the device), but it didn't find any. I have also
>been to the USB device manufacturer's website, and a response to an email I
>sent them they said that drivers for Windows 7 and 64-bit are not yet
>available (but 32-bit is available for Vista, which is why I am assuming
>there is some way for me to get it to work on my machine if I pretend to be
>32-bit). I have not yet tried the Windows XP mode virtual machine, so I will
>see if that works.


It's not a matter of "pretending" to be 32-bit, 32-bit drivers simply
don't work in 64-bit.

If your version of W7 includes XP mode, you may be able to use USB
drivers from XP mode since XP mode is a x86/32-bit environment.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Harding
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2010
On 05/03/10 21:11, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> Yes, I have let Windows 7 64-bit automatically search for drivers
> (including on the CD that came with the device), but it didn't find any.
> I have also been to the USB device manufacturer's website, and a
> response to an email I sent them they said that drivers for Windows 7
> and 64-bit are not yet available (but 32-bit is available for Vista,
> which is why I am assuming there is some way for me to get it to work on
> my machine if I pretend to be 32-bit). I have not yet tried the Windows
> XP mode virtual machine, so I will see if that works.


Not clear - 64-bit drivers for Vista? They usually work on Win 7 64-bit.

 
Reply With Quote
 
c d
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2010
Wrong - the driver author made the mistake of checking if the OS is "XP", but XP64 is actually "windows server 2003", which failed their "is this XP" check - it's a common error. If the check is bypassed, the drivers will work just fine.

> On Monday, May 03, 2010 7:18 PM Nathan Sokalski wrote:


> I have a USB device that is used to wirelessly communicate with another
> device of mine. The drivers are installed automatically when the device is
> plugged into the USB. However, because the device was designed for 32-bit
> systems and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, it does not want to install
> the drivers correctly. It did everything perfectly on my previous system
> (Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit). Is there any way to make my machine
> "pretend" to be 32-bit when I plug the USB device in so that the drivers
> will be installed correctly? At the rate most places are going with updating
> drivers, plugins, and other stuff for 64-bit, I have a feeling it might be a
> while before they give me anything designed for my system.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/



>> On Monday, May 03, 2010 8:38 PM Ron Rosenfeld wrote:


>> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Nathan,
>>
>> I have a scanner that only has a 32 bit driver. I installed it using the
>> Windows XP virtual machine. This comes free with Windows 7 Ultimate -- I
>> believe you need to download it from the MS web site.
>> --ron



>>> On Monday, May 03, 2010 8:44 PM Carlos wrote:


>>> Nathan,
>>> Have you let Windows 7 64-bit to automatically search for drivers?
>>> Have you gone to the "usb device" manufacturer's web site and check if Win 7
>>> x64 drivers are available?
>>> Other than that the solution is to use your usb device with Windows XP mode
>>> virtual machine.
>>> Carlos
>>>
>>> "Nathan Sokalski" wrote:



>>>> On Monday, May 03, 2010 9:11 PM Nathan Sokalski wrote:


>>>> Yes, I have let Windows 7 64-bit automatically search for drivers (including
>>>> on the CD that came with the device), but it did not find any. I have also
>>>> been to the USB device manufacturer's website, and a response to an email I
>>>> sent them they said that drivers for Windows 7 and 64-bit are not yet
>>>> available (but 32-bit is available for Vista, which is why I am assuming
>>>> there is some way for me to get it to work on my machine if I pretend to be
>>>> 32-bit). I have not yet tried the Windows XP mode virtual machine, so I will
>>>> see if that works.
>>>> --
>>>> Nathan Sokalski
>>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/



>>>>> On Monday, May 03, 2010 11:42 PM Dave Warren wrote:


>>>>> it is not a matter of "pretending" to be 32-bit, 32-bit drivers simply
>>>>> do not work in 64-bit.
>>>>>
>>>>> If your version of W7 includes XP mode, you may be able to use USB
>>>>> drivers from XP mode since XP mode is a x86/32-bit environment.



>>>>>> On Monday, May 17, 2010 11:11 PM Tony Harding wrote:


>>>>>> On 05/03/10 21:11, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Not clear - 64-bit drivers for Vista? They usually work on Win 7 64-bit.



>>>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe
>>>>>> Client-server autodiscovery in C# and UDP Sockets
>>>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...p-sockets.aspx

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time zones: Pretending to be somewhere else Nathan Sokalski ASP .Net 8 01-23-2006 01:55 AM
javascript pretending to click jonathanthio@yahoo.com.sg Javascript 2 05-29-2005 06:47 PM
A Spammer pretending to be from Paradise Helpdesk. Brett Dale NZ Computing 1 10-11-2004 08:36 AM



Advertisments