Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > strange fix

strange fix

mel

Well, I've been posting about problems with my Dell Inspiron 2200. In short,
after 6-7 years of no problems, it suddenly started slowing down, freezing,
trouble booting, etc. It got so bad that I often had to do cold shutdowns.

Anyway, I tried lots of things, to no avail.

Last night, I got together with a friend who is not afraid to take laptops
apart. We reseated whatever could be reseated although we didn't find
anything amiss. However, he did find that the CD drive was quite "loose." He
removed the drive and put it back in.

The computer now works better than it has in months! Could a CD problem as
stated above cause the aforementioned symptoms? It seems very strange to me.

Mel

Stephen Wolstenholme

On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:41:55 -0400, "mel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The computer now works better than it has in months! Could a CD problem as
>stated above cause the aforementioned symptoms? It seems very strange to me.

Loose connections can cause performance problems. Read recovery and
retry can be very involved and slow the whole system down. Even if
there is no CD in the drive the OS may be having a look at the
hardware periodically.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

John Holmes

Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:41:55 -0400, "mel" <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>Well, I've been posting about problems with my Dell Inspiron 2200. In
>>short, after 6-7 years of no problems, it suddenly started slowing
>>down, freezing, trouble booting, etc. It got so bad that I often had
>>to do cold shutdowns.
>>
>>Anyway, I tried lots of things, to no avail.
>>
>>Last night, I got together with a friend who is not afraid to take
>>laptops apart. We reseated whatever could be reseated although we
>>didn't find anything amiss. However, he did find that the CD drive was
>>quite "loose." He removed the drive and put it back in.

> Describe "loose"
>
> Loose as in mounting to the chassis?
> Loose as in the 50 pin IDE and 4 pin power connectors?
> Loose as in both of the above?

Loose as in looser?

--
<snip>