Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: One way to cut down on complaints.

Re: One way to cut down on complaints.

Whiskers

On 2010-05-02, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> You have asked Firefox to connect
> securely to www.bbc.co.uk, but we can't confirm that your connection
> is secure.
>

> Normally, when you try to connect securely,
> sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
> going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be
> verified.

Opera thinks it's all hunky dory <http://i42.tinypic.com/30vce1c.jpg>

I don't normally use Firefox, but just this once I fired it up and got
this dialogue box on trying to visit that URL
<http://i42.tinypic.com/2rptqw6.jpg>. Hmm "Website certified by an
unknown authority" eh? But when I look at 'Edit - Preferences - Advanced
- View Certificates - Authorities' in Firefox, lo and behold Gobalsign is
listed. Looks to me like a Firefox bug ...

<http://www.globalsign.co.uk/ssl/?gclid=CIqKr_yztKECFQVgZwodLXVq_A>

We operate Technical Support offices around the world with optional
24/7/365 Premier Support levels

We've been WebTrust for Certification Authorities compliant since 2002,
and operating a global trusted Digital Certificates network (and PKI)
since 1996

and <http://www.globalsign.com/support/faq/codesign/04.php>

Error: :“The certificate issuer is not recognised”
Global Support Centre >Code Sign > FAQ

You will receive this error when you don't select the option: "Include
all certificates in the certificate path" in Internet Explorer when
exporting the certificate and then importing it into Mozilla browsers
and when in the Mozilla browser it will not include all the
certificates in the certificate path and therefore signtool will not
recognize the certificate has trusted.

> What Should I Do?

[...]

I'd click on 'Accept Certificate' - unless you decide not to trust either
the BBC or Globalsign, in which case you probably shouldn't trust anyone
who posts here either )

--
-- Whiskers