Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Format C drive

Format C drive

The Henchman

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2010-05-02, kipper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They

> It could be quicker and possibly even cheaper to buy a new computer, and
> install Linux or Unix on the old one. Or just get the user to convert to
> Linux ...

Why convert to Linux? What does that have to do with cleaning up the OP's
friend's computer malware?

Tony

That all depends Chuck. Can you tell the difference between 10 feet and 15
feet of snow when you get out the snow shovel for the average daily dig-out
in Ottawa?

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
day on the job for potty mouth,

beyond the realm of understandability

Whiskers

On 2010-05-03, The Henchman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2010-05-02, kipper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They

>> It could be quicker and possibly even cheaper to buy a new computer, and
>> install Linux or Unix on the old one. Or just get the user to convert to
>> Linux ...
>>

> Why convert to Linux? What does that have to do with cleaning up the OP's
> friend's computer malware?

You've got a computer with so much malware installed that it's useless and
you buy a new one because that's quicker and cheaper than trying to fix the
old one.

Now you have two computers, but the old one is useless as it is.

Installing a Linux distro (complete with a lot of applications) will
take very little time and will cure the old computer's malware problem
completely and make that machine useful again; all at no financial cost at
all (or at least no more cost than a computer magazine with a free
installation disc, or downloading and burning an installation disc of your
own). Now you have two usable computers.

At which point in my train of thought, it occurred to me that buying the
new computer isn't required - if the user is willing to switch to Linux.
Just who ends up using that Linux computer is of course up to the present
owner of the still useless machine - but installing Linux on it will
certainly solve the malware problem on that machine.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 05/02/2010 04:39 PM, ian field wrote:
>> "philo"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> What I usually do with a severely infected drive is slave to to one of
>>> my
>>> bench machines, then run a full virus scan from there.
>>>
>>> I use the free version of Avast and have been able to save quite a few
>>> systems...
>>> but there is a limit of course.
>>>
>>> If Windows system files are deleted...
>>> a repair install may do the job...
>>>
>>> at any rate...once the drive is cleaned up...
>>> at least the data can be saved...
>>> there are some times a fresh install is needed

>> In my case there's no need to save any data, I just abandoned what was on
>> the drive and replaced it with a bigger one.
>>
>> But my PC is getting a bit crammed, so the chance to offload 160Gb of
>> files
>> would delay the inevitable a bit longer.
>>

> Then just delete the drive in disk management
>
> then recreate your partition
>
> all data (including malware) will be gone

Last night I was using it to run up a box someone donated, it s partitions
were deleted and reformatted with a fresh install of XP, I might format from
a Linux disk before putting it in my internet machine so it announces
"unrecognised partition" and asks if I want to format it.

Usually when I want to re-format or delete partitions, those options are
greyed out in disk managment!

ian field

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2010-05-03, The Henchman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It could be quicker and possibly even cheaper to buy a new computer, and
>>> install Linux or Unix on the old one. Or just get the user to convert
>>> Linux ...
>>>

>> Why convert to Linux? What does that have to do with cleaning up the
>> OP's
>> friend's computer malware?

> You've got a computer with so much malware installed that it's useless and
> you buy a new one because that's quicker and cheaper than trying to fix
> the
> old one.
>
> Now you have two computers, but the old one is useless as it is.
>
> Installing a Linux distro (complete with a lot of applications) will
> take very little time and will cure the old computer's malware problem
> completely and make that machine useful again; all at no financial cost at
> all (or at least no more cost than a computer magazine with a free
> installation disc, or downloading and burning an installation disc of your
> own). Now you have two usable computers.
>
> At which point in my train of thought, it occurred to me that buying the
> new computer isn't required - if the user is willing to switch to Linux.
> Just who ends up using that Linux computer is of course up to the present
> owner of the still useless machine - but installing Linux on it will
> certainly solve the malware problem on that machine.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Or if the OP doesn't want to learn linux, just format the HDD with a Linux
install disk - that should pretty much hose whatevers on there, then just
repartition, format and install Windows.

chuckcar

kipper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They
> won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
> virus software. If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
> software, will it remove the viruses?

If the person has a name brand computer - Dell Dimension, IBM Aptiva
etc, have them run the restore disk. That is designed to remove the
partitions, add them new and format them before installing windows. *If*
there's an actual boot sector virus, You can boot to a dos prompt
with such a disk (with F8 of course) and do an fdisk/mbr to rewrite
that. Also have the person get proper AV and anti-malware and a proper
firewall program *and* (most important of all) learn how to properly
use and set up the above. Being secure on the internet simply doesn't
happen unless you do. Finally have them update the information files
for the first two weekly and learn *proper* safe web behavior. Things
like *not* clicking on popups or adds on websites.

The only remaining possiblity after the above cleaning would be a virus
with a BIOS hook- which are exceedingly rare and any AV software can remove.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

The Henchman

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <hBBDn.20424$(E-Mail Removed)2>,

>> Or if the OP doesn't want to learn linux, just format the HDD with a
>> Linux
>> install disk - that should pretty much hose whatevers on there, then just
>> repartition, format and install Windows.

> Ding! Ding! Ding! Give the man a Seegar!

That makes sense.

I Thot Whiskers wanted to virus friend to switch to Linux, but if s/he has
all those malwares installed on windows, they don't seem to be the type to
use Linux.

freemont

On Mon, 03 May 2010 18:22:43 -0700, Evan Platt writ:

> On Sun, 2 May 2010 22:49:33 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>That all depends. Can you tell the difference between a virus and a
>>trojan?

> Can you tell the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground?

He could probably find a hole in the ground.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
⁂ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:

Desk Rabbit

On 02/05/2010 21:00, kipper wrote:
> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They
> won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
> virus software. If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
> software, will it remove the viruses?

You are seriously under qualified to be doing anything remotely
technical with her computer.

Whiskers

On 2010-05-04, The Henchman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> In article <hBBDn.20424$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> Or if the OP doesn't want to learn linux, just format the HDD with a
>>> Linux
>>> install disk - that should pretty much hose whatevers on there, then just
>>> repartition, format and install Windows.

>> Ding! Ding! Ding! Give the man a Seegar!

> That makes sense.
>
> I Thot Whiskers wanted to virus friend to switch to Linux, but if s/he has
> all those malwares installed on windows, they don't seem to be the type to
> use Linux.

I'd say that someone who can't keep a Windows system free of malware is
greatly in need of a system that doesn't support malware at all - such as
Unix or Linux.

--
-- Whiskers