Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > adobe reader 9.0.3 install on vista failed due to windows explorer

adobe reader 9.0.3 install on vista failed due to windows explorer

gamma

Hi

I'm trying to install the latest acrobat reader on my neighbours
laptop running Windows vista basic but the install fails because the
installer says "you must close down windows explorer before the
installation can proceed". The error message includes the process ID
of the Windows explorer that needs to be shut down. Windows explorer
is not visibly running an din task manager, there are no
"applications" running. In the process list, explorer.exe has a
process ID that matches the error message. I guess this instance of
explorer.exe is for the desktop/ taskbar so I don't want to close it.

Any ideas how to get the installation to work?

TIA

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ae66484c-1820-486d-b342-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, gamma wrote:

> I'm trying to install the latest acrobat reader ...

Why?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 2/05/2010 7:23 p.m., gamma wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to install the latest acrobat reader on my neighbours
>> laptop running Windows vista basic but the install fails because the
>> installer says "you must close down windows explorer before the
>> installation can proceed". The error message includes the process ID
>> of the Windows explorer that needs to be shut down. Windows explorer
>> is not visibly running an din task manager, there are no
>> "applications" running. In the process list, explorer.exe has a
>> process ID that matches the error message. I guess this instance of
>> explorer.exe is for the desktop/ taskbar so I don't want to close it.
>>
>> Any ideas how to get the installation to work?

> Either try the latest Adobe Reader (9.3.x)
>
> or (IMO a better option) install Foxit Reader from
> <http://www.foxitsoftware.com> - smaller, better, more reliable and
> faster.

I'll lodge a second vote for Foxit. The only time I've had problems with it
was when I was rpinting in duplex booklet mode but that was a few releases
ago.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson