Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network cannot connect to AP automatically

Wireless network cannot connect to AP automatically

Scott

I have a Netgear AP at home. A couple of laptop computers are connecting to
the AP successfully. One of computers (Compaq NC6400) is intermittently
connecting to the AP. At the end of day, I discover that boardcasting of
SSID can improve connection rate for that computer. Is that computer
configured something wrong to have such issue? Is there any way to correct
it as I would not like to broadcast the SSID as a measure of security?

Thanks,

Scott

Barb Bowman

Not broadcasting the SSID is mistakenly thought by a lot of people to be a
measure of security. It really isn't at all. Use WPA2-AES security and broadcast
the SSID and you should be secure.

On Sun, 2 May 2010 11:23:06 +0800, "Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Netgear AP at home. A couple of laptop computers are connecting to
>the AP successfully. One of computers (Compaq NC6400) is intermittently
>connecting to the AP. At the end of day, I discover that boardcasting of
>SSID can improve connection rate for that computer. Is that computer
>configured something wrong to have such issue? Is there any way to correct
>it as I would not like to broadcast the SSID as a measure of security?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP