Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: HELP: Tabbed drop down menus

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: HELP: Tabbed drop down menus

 
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2010
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ing wrote:
> I have been to about a dozen web sites with tutorials for tabbed drop
> down menues. Some are CSS and some are Javascript but I cannot get any
> of them to work. I am using Expression Web. I have tried copying the
> code into the code menu. I have tried copyuing the graphic example
> into the design window. And yet when I view them they NEVER work.
> Nothing ever pulls down. All I get is tabulated text. No nice
> graphical menus. What am I doing wrong?


Not providing a URL to what you have tried. We are web designers, not
psychics.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:14:16 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> I have been to about a dozen web sites with tutorials for tabbed drop
> >> down menues. Some are CSS and some are Javascript but I cannot get any
> >> of them to work. I am using Expression Web. I have tried copying the
> >> code into the code menu. I have tried copyuing the graphic example
> >> into the design window. And yet when I view them they NEVER work.
> >> Nothing ever pulls down. All I get is tabulated text. No nice
> >> graphical menus. What am I doing wrong?

> >
> >Not providing a URL to what you have tried. We are web designers, not
> >psychics.

>
>
> Well I don't have a url for my hard disc but the codefor 3 different
> attempts is below:
>
> VERSION 1 STARTS
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">


....

Stop! <g>

How about something altogether more tractable and simple:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Streater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:14:16 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> I have been to about a dozen web sites with tutorials for tabbed drop
> >> down menues. Some are CSS and some are Javascript but I cannot get any
> >> of them to work. I am using Expression Web. I have tried copying the
> >> code into the code menu. I have tried copyuing the graphic example
> >> into the design window. And yet when I view them they NEVER work.
> >> Nothing ever pulls down. All I get is tabulated text. No nice
> >> graphical menus. What am I doing wrong?

> >
> >Not providing a URL to what you have tried. We are web designers, not
> >psychics.

>
>
> Well I don't have a url for my hard disc but the codefor 3 different
> attempts is below:


[snip attempts]

Personally I am using a menu from:

All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)

because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained to
some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on the fly
with JavaScript.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
Tim Streater wrote:

> All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
>
> because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained to
> some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on the fly
> with JavaScript.
>


That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but

disabled JavaScript==no navigation

Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus use
server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Streater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
In article <hrjtci$hh8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tim Streater wrote:
>
> > All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
> >
> > because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained to
> > some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on the fly
> > with JavaScript.
> >

>
> That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but
>
> disabled JavaScript==no navigation
>
> Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus use
> server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.


Why would I disable javascript in my application? I have 13k lines of js
in my app and 6k lines of php. Next thing I'll do is look into whether
or not I can use PackageMaker to build a .pkg so that Installer can put
the code in the right place, check that the appropriate system
components are in place, and make some changes to various files so that
some features work.

I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par with,
"Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the user has no
operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one, did you?".

Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
 
Reply With Quote
 
Adrienne Boswell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <hrjtci$hh8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Tim Streater wrote:
>>
>> > All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
>> >
>> > because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained
>> > to some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on
>> > the fly with JavaScript.
>> >

>>
>> That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but
>>
>> disabled JavaScript==no navigation
>>
>> Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus
>> use server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.

>
> Why would I disable javascript in my application? I have 13k lines of
> js in my app and 6k lines of php. Next thing I'll do is look into
> whether or not I can use PackageMaker to build a .pkg so that
> Installer can put the code in the right place, check that the
> appropriate system components are in place, and make some changes to
> various files so that some features work.
>
> I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par
> with, "Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the
> user has no operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one,
> did you?".


Your best friend, Google, does not have javascript enabled, and thus
cannot access javascript navigation.

>
> Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
> appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.
>


That makes absolutely no sense. What you have on your server is not on
my client, and whatever client side script you might be serving me, I
can use my browser to override or disable client side scripting
altogether.


--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
Tim Streater wrote:

> I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par with,
> "Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the user has no
> operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one, did you?".
>
> Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
> appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.
>


Not necessarily. You have control over what runs on the server, you do
not have control over what runs on the visitor's computer. You cannot
depend on your visitor having JavaScript enabled. You can use JavaScript
to augment or enhance but it is a mistake to *depend* on JavaScript for
functionality.

http://lmgtfy.com?q=bad+web+design+javascript+menu

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Streater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
In article <Xns9D6C6B9294340arbpenyahoocom@81.169.183.62>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > In article <hrjtci$hh8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Tim Streater wrote:
> >>
> >> > All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
> >> >
> >> > because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained
> >> > to some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on
> >> > the fly with JavaScript.
> >> >
> >>
> >> That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but
> >>
> >> disabled JavaScript==no navigation
> >>
> >> Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus
> >> use server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.

> >
> > Why would I disable javascript in my application? I have 13k lines of
> > js in my app and 6k lines of php. Next thing I'll do is look into
> > whether or not I can use PackageMaker to build a .pkg so that
> > Installer can put the code in the right place, check that the
> > appropriate system components are in place, and make some changes to
> > various files so that some features work.
> >
> > I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par
> > with, "Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the
> > user has no operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one,
> > did you?".

>
> Your best friend, Google, does not have javascript enabled, and thus
> cannot access javascript navigation.
>
> >
> > Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
> > appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.
> >

>
> That makes absolutely no sense. What you have on your server is not on
> my client, and whatever client side script you might be serving me, I
> can use my browser to override or disable client side scripting
> altogether.


Yes it does. If you were to use my app then server side and client side
would both reside on your machine - assuming you have a Mac running
10.6. I don't have access to, and won't have access to, any other
platform. The components I need (SQLite, PHP5, Apache, browser with
JavaScript) are all supplied. The JavaScript uses ajax to get data and
assumes all the php scripts are on localhost.

Of course you could then disable JavaScript. Equally I could cd to / and
rm some random set of files from there. Hmm, mach_kernel might be a good
place to start. But why would I bother?

Trouble is you have just assumed that any visitor here is dealing with
the standard browser-on-my-machine-getting-content-from-remote-server
scenario. That may be true for 99% of visitors but not in my case.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
....
>
> dorayme's suggestion yields a pretty looking menu rather than the
> tabbed text of previous attempts but when I hover nothing pulls down
> (see example below).
>

....
>
> dORAYME'S CODE STARTS
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
> xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice">


No, it doesn't... ?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 May 2010 19:52:26 +1000, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
> >How about something altogether more tractable and simple:
> >
> ><http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>

>
>
> I have now revisited this and have almost got i working. Thanks for
> that. The menus appear as nice graphics. The options pull down when I
> hover over. The only problem is that when I move to anotherheader the
> old pull down stays pulled down rather than disappearing. So if I
> hover over all 5 headings I end up with all 5 menus displayed
> simultaneously. How do I make them dippear when I stop hovering? TIA.


You need to give more details. This does not happen on on any of
my normal browsers and not even in IE6 when I just looked on my
brand spanking new virtual MS machine on my Mac.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Affecting a dynamically created drop down from another dynamically created drop down. msimmons ASP .Net 0 07-16-2009 03:17 PM
Working with tabbed menus ishky1@gmail.com HTML 8 08-24-2007 07:34 PM
retrive preselected value in second drop down list from the first drop down list weiwei ASP .Net 0 01-05-2007 07:29 PM
Auto Drop down a Drop Down List xxbmichae1@supergambler.com Javascript 5 11-23-2005 01:35 AM
New to .NET, can I have one drop down box control the data of another drop down box using a database? SirPoonga ASP .Net 2 01-07-2005 10:44 PM



Advertisments