Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Esata card?

Re: Esata card?

chuckcar

Jane Galt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Who makes a good but low cost Esata controller card?
>
> Should I get one for the PCI-express, 16 bit slot or what?

16 bit is ISA. Sometimes even just 8 bit. Something that's
been out of the market for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industr...d_Architecture

PCI express is 32 bit and faster than standard PCI which runs at a bus
speed of 66 Mhz. PCI Express runs at up to 16GB/s, but also runs in
serial and *not* parallel. It also uses separate channels for each device,
so if you have more than 32 cards (something you'll never see in a computer)
you get a performance advantage excluding the speed. PCI express requires
you to have specific slots on your motherboard and will be more expensive.
Undoubtedly the reason they wanted to sell you such a card. Running a
serial hard drive on a fast expensive serial bus is pointless.
Just get a standard PCI card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periphe...t_Interconnect

> Asus tells me that I have 3 expansion slots in this thing, if I
> recall, a PCI Express, a 16 bit or something, dont recall now.

I really doubt you even have a ISA slot on that computer. You might have
AGP - for fast graphics cards and standard PCI. Both of which are 32
bit.

> He said tehy didn't have a diagram of the mainboard, I just gotta pop
> the case and look.

And that only helps if you can tell the diffence in the slots. Something
you clearly won't be able to. At least until you research it more.

Just take the box into a local store and say you want a PCI Sata card
installed. If you're sure you want to go SATA.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:27:39 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> diffence

WTF?????

<http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

Meat Plow

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:27:39 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Jane Galt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Who makes a good but low cost Esata controller card?
>>
>> Should I get one for the PCI-express, 16 bit slot or what?
>>

> 16 bit is ISA. Sometimes even just 8 bit. Something that's been out of
> the market for decades.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industr...d_Architecture
>
> PCI express is 32 bit and faster than standard PCI which runs at a bus
> speed of 66 Mhz.

When was the standard PCI bus speed doubled to 66 mhz?