Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Reading the BAM or Directory

Reading the BAM or Directory

Raymond BARBER

Hi, can one of you nice folks give me a steer as to how to READ the BAM or
directory of a disc and print out the result to the screen or a printer. I
know it should be simple but having trouble finding info
Thanks very much for any help

REB

Tom Anderson

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Raymond BARBER wrote:

> Hi, can one of you nice folks give me a steer as to how to READ the BAM
> or directory of a disc and print out the result to the screen or a
> printer. I know it should be simple but having trouble finding info
> Thanks very much for any help

I'd start by trying a more appropriate newsgroup! Perhaps one to do with
disks?

tom

--
Get my pies out of the oven!

Lew

Raymond BARBER wrote:
> Hi, can one of you nice folks give me a steer as to how to READ the BAM or
> directory of a disc and print out the result to the screen or a printer. I
> know it should be simple but having trouble finding info
> Thanks very much for any help

I don't know what a "BAM" is, but try something like:

for ( String name : new File( parentDirectoryName ).list() )
{
System.out.println( name );
}

along with appropriate exception handling.

--
Lew

Eric Sosman

On 4/27/2010 12:09 PM, Raymond BARBER wrote:
> Hi, can one of you nice folks give me a steer as to how to READ the BAM or
> directory of a disc and print out the result to the screen or a printer. I
> know it should be simple but having trouble finding info

See Tom Anderson's response. Also, be aware that some file
systems maintain no such map explicitly, but use other data
structures to keep track of what's in use and what's available.
That is, you may need to read and interpret some data structure
specific to the file system in order to deduce a map.

Finally, note that the map (explicit or implicit) may be too
large to make much sense as a printout: A terabyte drive, even
coarsely divided into 8KB "blocks," has 134 million such blocks.

--
Eric Sosman

Arne Vajh°j

On 27-04-2010 12:09, Raymond BARBER wrote:
> Hi, can one of you nice folks give me a steer as to how to READ the BAM or
> directory of a disc and print out the result to the screen or a printer. I
> know it should be simple but having trouble finding info
> Thanks very much for any help

BAM = Block allocation map ?

Java would not be the right language for that.

You can do:
[Java]--(JNI call)-->[C/C++]--(call)-->[OS]
to get the information but you could just as well
write everything in C/C++.

There are no problem getting a list of all files
in a directory via Java (see the java.io.File class),
but that does not solve the first problem.

Arne