Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Random access to an encrypted file

Re: Random access to an encrypted file

John B. Matthews

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Spud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We've been told that we need to implement on-disk encryption of our
> data files. We currently write them using RandomAccessFile and read
> them using FileChannel.read(ByteBuffer).
>
> Before I go off on my own, slog through java.security, and write a
> wrapper around these routines to encrypt/decrypt, is there an easy
> way to do it? Perhaps something built into the JDK that I'm missing?

Is this related to a new Massachusetts security law mandating encryption?

<http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/04/25/1745210/>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

The Frog

Hello Spud

Quote: "Bottom line is, the files themselves have to encrypted so even
if a bad
guy gets access to the disk or the backups, the files can't be used
without the secret key."

Are we correct in understanding that you wish to mitigate against
physical theft of data? That is to say against a physical attack
vector such as a computer / hard drive being stolen? Or are you also
needing to protect against the possibility of someone simply copying
the data files to another location either directly or across a
network? Do you need to protect against someone having direct physical
access to the application PC and still keep the data secured?

It would be helpful to understand your scenario a little better. As
stated above, you may well be better served by consulting a
professional in this area who you can discuss the situation and riks
with in confidentiality.

Cheers

The Frog