Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > speicial science Fiction DVD's on Blu-ray

speicial science Fiction DVD's on Blu-ray

C3 +

DVD group,

I would like some recommedations for sciencefiction movies available
on DVD or Blu-ray. Anything good out there?

There must be something more than Contact. Anyway Jodie Foster is not
a very good actor.

C3+

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
C3 + <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>DVD group,
>
>I would like some recommedations for sciencefiction movies available
>on DVD or Blu-ray. Anything good out there?
>
>There must be something more than Contact. Anyway Jodie Foster is not
>a very good actor.
>
>C3+

Contact?

"Let's do the Time Warp again!"

Well, lessee ... I hear Avatar is a pretty good flick. It's available on
DVD or Blu-ray .... in fact, both in the same package.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed) dth>,
Doug Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Mike S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Well, lessee ... I hear Avatar is a pretty good flick. It's available on
>> DVD or Blu-ray .... in fact, both in the same package.

>Unfortunately, many blu-ray players - including many recently released
>players - seem unable to handle whatever new-fangled version of blu-ray
>software used for Avatar. I bet they tried to do something unsupported in
>the menu system, which is causing the problems. *sigh* So much for just
>being able to watch a movie nowadays, eh?
>
>Blu-ray has been out, what, 3 years? You'd think "The Standard" has been
>solidified by now, yeah? I mean, does the frozen food industry insist we
>upgrade our microwave oven's firmware every time they release a new frozen
>entree product?

The standard isn't the issue. It's Fux's insistence on ever-increasing
complexity of copy protection.

Son of a Sea Cook

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:51:39 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>C3 + <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>DVD group,
>>
>>I would like some recommedations for sciencefiction movies available
>>on DVD or Blu-ray. Anything good out there?
>>
>>There must be something more than Contact. Anyway Jodie Foster is not
>>a very good actor.
>>
>>C3+

>Contact?
>
>"Let's do the Time Warp again!"
>
>Well, lessee ... I hear Avatar is a pretty good flick. It's available on
>DVD or Blu-ray .... in fact, both in the same package.

This obvious troll did not deserve to be told of such a great title.

www.imdb.com

There are plenty of places to find everything from the classics to the
ones that bombed.

BarnCat

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:43:27 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Doug Jacobs wrote:
>> Mike S.<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Well, lessee ... I hear Avatar is a pretty good flick. It's available on
>>> DVD or Blu-ray .... in fact, both in the same package.

>> Unfortunately, many blu-ray players - including many recently released
>> players - seem unable to handle whatever new-fangled version of blu-ray
>> software used for Avatar. I bet they tried to do something unsupported in
>> the menu system, which is causing the problems. *sigh* So much for just
>> being able to watch a movie nowadays, eh?
>>
>> Blu-ray has been out, what, 3 years? You'd think "The Standard" has been
>> solidified by now, yeah? I mean, does the frozen food industry insist we
>> upgrade our microwave oven's firmware every time they release a new frozen
>> entree product?

>Avatar has a updated copy protection scheme on the disc which required a very small percentage of older Blu-ray players to have firmware updates. I think the number of players requiring updates is about 4 or 5 so far of all players ever manufactured. It's not a big deal and the issue has been blown *way* out of proportion.
>
>T.B.

You are *way* too retarded.

It plays on one of my PS3's, but not the other.

The new PS3 update also removes the capability to install Linux on the
PS3.

SO, I have one that is still a pre seek and destroy firmware version.

You thinking that you are the great know it all is what is *way* out of
proportion to the facts. You are so stupid that you are unaware of
Usenet standard line lengths. Sad... truly sad.

AtTheEndofMyRope

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:41:35 -0500, Doug Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The Mighty T.B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Avatar has a updated copy protection scheme on the disc which required a
>> very small percentage of older Blu-ray players to have firmware updates.
>> I think the number of players requiring updates is about 4 or 5 so far of
>> all players ever manufactured. It's not a big deal and the issue has been
>> blown *way* out of proportion.

>That's not what I've been reading. I've been reading about people who
>just bought a current model, and had to update the firmware. One had the
>update fail, turning her brand new blu-ray player into a
>dvd-only-playing-brick.
>
>Reports haven't been confined to any specific brand or model. Sharp,
>Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic - they all seem to have players that are
>affected.
>
>Even some models of Sony's PS3's have had problems, while the newer slim
>models had none.
>
>Either way, this isn't how you win customers over to a new technology.

Essentially, Sony owes me for 2 PS3s now.

The first most definitely failed after the application of a "firmware
update".

They were "trading out" folks' machines for a "re-furbed" unit upon
sending yours in. I wanted MINE fixed. MY hard drive. MY case with the
better breathing tricks applied, and MY trick paint job, etc.

We should not tolerate this new direction product makers are moving
toward/into. We should reject it. Fed Ex ain't that damned expensive.

BarnCat

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:34:18 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Fly

>T.B.

Isn't there some fly paper somewhere for you to get stuck on?

The Fly indeed... Hahahaha!

You need a spike in your head! (that one went right over)

Liquid Sky

Copacetic

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:22:21 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) dth>,
>Doug Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Mike S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Well, lessee ... I hear Avatar is a pretty good flick. It's available on
>>> DVD or Blu-ray .... in fact, both in the same package.

>>Unfortunately, many blu-ray players - including many recently released
>>players - seem unable to handle whatever new-fangled version of blu-ray
>>software used for Avatar. I bet they tried to do something unsupported in
>>the menu system, which is causing the problems. *sigh* So much for just
>>being able to watch a movie nowadays, eh?
>>
>>Blu-ray has been out, what, 3 years? You'd think "The Standard" has been
>>solidified by now, yeah? I mean, does the frozen food industry insist we
>>upgrade our microwave oven's firmware every time they release a new frozen
>>entree product?

>The standard isn't the issue. It's Fux's insistence on ever-increasing
>complexity of copy protection.

No,.it was because of the soundtracks included and codecs needed to be
added to a lot of players.

The industry simply tested their own standards requisites by forcing a
worldwide firmware upgrade on some older, early 'DTSHD' and 'TrueHD'
claimers of support. (I know those are not the names) The upgrade
requisite spanned across makers, and it worked.

Avatar is the first film that has ever had such a broad spanning effect
on actual playback hardware before it can even be viewed.

It is, however, awesome (BluRay).

I have not let a single non-Lost night pass yet without watching it...
AGAIN!

AtTheEndofMyRope

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:49:41 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>AtTheEndofMyRope farted:
>
>> They were "trading out" folks' machines for a "re-furbed" unit upon
>> sending yours in. I wanted MINE fixed. MY hard drive. MY case with the
>> better breathing tricks applied, and MY trick paint job, etc.

>What moron "paints" their PS3 and apparantly drills holes in it?

The cover is tinted, transparent plastic. The paint goes on the
inside, idiot. The holes already exist, I just made them flow better,
idiot.

>Oh wait, it's Archtard. 'Nuff said.

You have yet to say anything in this group ever, you characterless
bastard.

Your mother was a whore who should have been in prison for the crime of
not flushing you.

BarnCat

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:57:57 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BarnCat drooled:
>
>> Isn't there some fly paper somewhere for you to get stuck on?
>>
>> The Fly indeed... Hahahaha!
>>
>> You need a spike in your head! (that one went right over)
>>

>> Liquid Sky

>The whole idea of being ablwe to carry a regular, normal conversation just soars over your head, doesn't it, Archtard?
>
>T.B.

I knew that you were not sophisticated enough to get the reference.