Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sudden wireless network problem

Sudden wireless network problem

Bobby

Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem PC is a desktop system (not a laptop).

The network also includes two laptops (including the one I'm typing this on)
and another desktop PC. All connect wirelessly. All work perfectly.

My problem PC was working perfectly. I did not make any network changes. I
am reluctant to stop messing about with TCP/IP settings.

My modem and router is a combined unit. I switched it off last night but the
problem persisted this morning when I tried again. I presume switching it
off is the same as a reboot. The lights on the modem/router report no
problems whatsoever and every other PC/laptop works OK.

I can't connect to my modem/router web management page so something
fundamental must be going wrong between my PC and the router.

I am going to try to re-install my wireless network adaptor software. Then I
will replace my wireless adaptor to see if that helps.

Bobby

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eooUnM$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bobby,
>
> Reset the router first. Shut down the router and broadband modem. Then
> power up the modem and wait until it makes its connection, then power up
> the router. You may also find that you need to restart the systems
> connected to it, but you may get around it by running ipconfig /release,
> then /renew from a cmd prompt.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my
>> PCs suddenly refused to work last night.
>>
>> I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since
>> the other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless
>> laptop).
>>
>> My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
>> adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage
>> the connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
>>
>> Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was
>> previously working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a
>> problem). The icon in the system tray was reporting "limited
>> connectivity" but I had something else to do and ignored the problem.
>>
>> But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have
>> full (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I
>> expected to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it
>> timed-out). Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC
>> reports that my wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have
>> connectivity (ranging from 90-95%). But nothing works.
>>
>> Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
>> and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But
>> I still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).
>>
>> I'm at a loss. Help!
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby

Tiscali Tim

Bobby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> The problem PC is a desktop system (not a laptop).
>
> The network also includes two laptops (including the one I'm typing
> this on) and another desktop PC. All connect wirelessly. All work
> perfectly.
>
> My problem PC was working perfectly. I did not make any network
> changes. I am reluctant to stop messing about with TCP/IP settings.
>
> My modem and router is a combined unit. I switched it off last night
> but the problem persisted this morning when I tried again. I presume
> switching it off is the same as a reboot. The lights on the
> modem/router report no problems whatsoever and every other PC/laptop
> works OK.
>
> I can't connect to my modem/router web management page so something
> fundamental must be going wrong between my PC and the router.
>
> I am going to try to re-install my wireless network adaptor software.
> Then I will replace my wireless adaptor to see if that helps.
>
> Bobby

Have you re-booted the problem PC? Does that help?

If the PC *appears* to be connected to the PC but can't talk to it, some of
the PCs wireless settings may have got corrupted somehow.

What level of wireless security are you using - encryption, MAC address
filtering, hiding SSID, etc.? If using encryption, make sure that the type
and parameters are set up on the PC exactly as on the router. If using MAC
address filtering, make sure that the PC's wireless card's MAC address is in
the router's Permitted table.

Can you ping the router from the PC?

You can *check* the PC's TCP/IP settings without having to mess with/change
them. When you type "ipconfig /all" at the Command prompt, does it display
an IP address in the same range as that of the router, and with the same
subnet mask?

[If you don't know how to interpret what it is telling you, copy the output
from ipconfig /all and paste it into this thread - preferably with the
equivalent output from a PC which *does* work].
--
Cheers,
Tim

Tiscali Tim

Perhaps for the same reason as you call yourself <@> ?

--
Cheers,
Tim

"Tiscali Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

timothy dear why do you call yourself tiscali timmy when you dont even use
piscalli

Ed.

Try this:

"Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my
>> PCs suddenly refused to work last night.
>>
>> I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since
>> the other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless
>> laptop).
>>
>> My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
>> adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage
>> the connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
>>
>> Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was
>> previously working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a
>> problem). The icon in the system tray was reporting "limited
>> connectivity" but I had something else to do and ignored the problem.
>>
>> But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have
>> full (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I
>> expected to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it
>> timed-out). Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC
>> reports that my wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have
>> connectivity (ranging from 90-95%). But nothing works.
>>
>> Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
>> and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But
>> I still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).
>>
>> I'm at a loss. Help!
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby
>>

> It may be something simple. Have any neighbours recently added a wireless
> network? Have you installed anything that may be interfering? i.e.
> cordless phone, cheap fan that generates a lot of r/f noise, fluorescent
> desk lamp. etc.
>
> Kerry

Sparda

"" wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:32:30 -0400, "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >As it is an all-in-one unit, I would disconnect the machines

> from it during
> >this operation.

> sure. For info, in the UK separate ethernet ADSL modems are
> not very
> common, and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service
> is PPPoA
> and not PPPoE.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil
> --
> Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

"ethernet ADSL modems"

You mean a router? Like the one I have? (I live in England)

"and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA and
not PPPoE."

You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General...ict408274.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1355384

Phil Thompson

On 13 Aug 2005 19:35:40 -0400, Sparda
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"ethernet ADSL modems"
>You mean a router? Like the one I have? (I live in England)

no, I mean an ADSL modem using ethernet to connect to a single device.

>"and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA and
>not PPPoE."
>You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

yes I am sure, the default is PPPoA, it is the one BT recommend, they
also added support for PPPoE which AOL use for one. I don't believe
all ISPs support PPPoE (it adds overhead and an extra client).

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

Geoffrey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

You sure about that?

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.

Bobby

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The prize goes to the people who suggested that my network settings had got
corrupted.

But no-one got the solution -- restoring the PC using system restore.
Although I guess the WinSock fix would probably have worked too.

I think that the problem was caused by a Windows update. I think that I
switched off my PC during an update - Windows reported this and said that I
could continue the shutdown but I think that my problems arose after this.

Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
every (software) problem in my experience.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Bobby

"Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try this:
>
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
>

> "Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my
>>> PCs suddenly refused to work last night.
>>>
>>> I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since
>>> the other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless
>>> laptop).
>>>
>>> My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless
>>> network adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software
>>> manage the connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
>>>
>>> Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was
>>> previously working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a
>>> problem). The icon in the system tray was reporting "limited
>>> connectivity" but I had something else to do and ignored the problem.
>>>
>>> But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have
>>> full (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I
>>> expected to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it
>>> timed-out). Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC
>>> reports that my wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have
>>> connectivity (ranging from 90-95%). But nothing works.
>>>
>>> Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I
>>> disable and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full
>>> connectivity. But I still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's
>>> admin web page).
>>>
>>> I'm at a loss. Help!
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>

>> It may be something simple. Have any neighbours recently added a wireless
>> network? Have you installed anything that may be interfering? i.e.
>> cordless phone, cheap fan that generates a lot of r/f noise, fluorescent
>> desk lamp. etc.
>>
>> Kerry

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:40:43 +0100, "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
>every (software) problem in my experience.

can also leave you with a broken windows installation requiring a
re-install

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast