Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to buy Netbook/Laptop by specs from one website?

How to buy Netbook/Laptop by specs from one website?

G. Morgan

Is there a web site somewhere that will ask you everything you desire on a new
machine, and have the results come back with vendors and prices?

I've tried Google Shopping, and Amazon, but they are not specific enough about
choosing features (and prices).

I'd like to get a netbook or laptop (new from a reputable company) with at least
the following features for under $500:

Dual core proc. (required for sure)
HDMI out
Blue tooth 2.0
WIFI with draft "N"

minimum 4 USB 2.O ports
Capability to upgrade to at least 4GM RAM , preferably 8 (DDR2)
SATA HDD with at least 250GB
Free shipping / No sales tax (Texas

Also, I've been "out of the loop" on processors and their performance rating, is
there a chart out there somewhere where I can compare apples to bananas, to
grapes and oranges? The last few years, Intel alone has made so many chips it's
nearly impossible to get a quick chart on how they rank on benchmark. The new
I3,5,&7 stuff I know is the top of the line, but how would you compare a Pentium
vs. Celeron, vs, Atom, vs all the dual core -- core 2 duo, etc...??? Also, how
could I compare those to AMD's similar new convoluted naming (marketing) ploy?

My P4 (Prescott) I built 4 years ago still works fine, but my laptop went south
and I "pawned" it off to the pawnshop. I wouldn't dare sell it on eBay or to
someone who knew where to find me. 3 out of 4 of the USB's are dead... you have
to finagle the power cord to get a good connection, and Win 7 keeps telling me
it's time to replace the battery it's(2 years old). I pawned it (an HP 2130s)
for $250, which broke my heart because it had been a great machine. But it can
no longer be trusted in the field, and to replace the battery & p/s would be
cost prohibitive.

So... any good "cofigurators" out there to help me make a new selection? I
don't care about brand names, only features close to my price range.

Thanks.

chuckcar

G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a web site somewhere that will ask you everything you desire
> on a new machine, and have the results come back with vendors and
> prices?
>
> I've tried Google Shopping, and Amazon, but they are not specific
> enough about choosing features (and prices).
>
> I'd like to get a netbook or laptop (new from a reputable company)
> with at least the following features for under $500:

Good luck with that.
> minimum 4 USB 2.O ports
> Capability to upgrade to at least 4GM RAM , preferably 8 (DDR2)
> SATA HDD with at least 250GB
> Free shipping / No sales tax (Texas

Get a Compaq. They're based there.

You want a good computer at an unreasonably cheap price. That's like
wanting a new car for under $5,000.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

PeeCee

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a web site somewhere that will ask you everything you desire on a
> new
> machine, and have the results come back with vendors and prices?
>
> I've tried Google Shopping, and Amazon, but they are not specific enough
> about
> choosing features (and prices).
>
> I'd like to get a netbook or laptop (new from a reputable company) with at
> least
> the following features for under $500:
>
> Dual core proc. (required for sure)
> HDMI out
> Blue tooth 2.0
> WIFI with draft "N"
>
> minimum 4 USB 2.O ports
> Capability to upgrade to at least 4GM RAM , preferably 8 (DDR2)
> SATA HDD with at least 250GB
> Free shipping / No sales tax (Texas
>

> Also, I've been "out of the loop" on processors and their performance
> rating, is
> there a chart out there somewhere where I can compare apples to bananas,
> grapes and oranges? The last few years, Intel alone has made so many
> chips it's
> nearly impossible to get a quick chart on how they rank on benchmark. The
> new
> I3,5,&7 stuff I know is the top of the line, but how would you compare a
> Pentium
> vs. Celeron, vs, Atom, vs all the dual core -- core 2 duo, etc...???
> Also, how
> could I compare those to AMD's similar new convoluted naming (marketing)
> ploy?
>
> My P4 (Prescott) I built 4 years ago still works fine, but my laptop went
> south
> and I "pawned" it off to the pawnshop. I wouldn't dare sell it on eBay
> or to
> someone who knew where to find me. 3 out of 4 of the USB's are dead...
> you have
> to finagle the power cord to get a good connection, and Win 7 keeps
> telling me
> it's time to replace the battery it's(2 years old). I pawned it (an HP
> 2130s)
> for $250, which broke my heart because it had been a great machine. But
> it can
> no longer be trusted in the field, and to replace the battery & p/s would
> be
> cost prohibitive.
>
> So... any good "cofigurators" out there to help me make a new selection?
> don't care about brand names, only features close to my price range.
>
> Thanks.

Dear M. Morgan

For current CPU's you might get some idea from the 'Charts' on
www.tomshardware.com.

For what you can get for your $500 a quick look at Neweggs $400-$500
bracket.
(lots of lower spec CPU's and onboard graphics, not particularly noteworthy
IMHO)

I would start by reading this reliability survey:
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf
Makes for interesting reading and aligns with my experiences.

(Sorry to all you HP/Compaq fans but they are crap at the moment)

Your list of features (Dual Core, 4GB ram etc) is an excellent way to sort
the wheat from the chaff.
Other spec's you may wish to consider:
Screen resolution.
Screen Size.
DVD drive (or not)
Warranty (HP is particularly tough on this)
Battery life.
LED backlit screen.
etc etc.

Then when you've got your brand sorted it should be a lot easier to winkle
out the model that suits you best.

Cheers
Paul.

G. Morgan

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Is there a web site somewhere that will ask you everything you desire
>> on a new machine, and have the results come back with vendors and
>> prices?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This what I asked, Tardo.

HP is based in California BTW, they have a campus in Houston. I used to work
there. All they manufacture there are servers. Everything else comes from
ODM's in China.

G. Morgan

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You want a good computer at an unreasonably cheap price. That's like
>wanting a new car for under $5,000.

Here tard...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...IN#detailspecs

I'm just looking for a good search engine to tick off the specs I want and
return a list of vendors with prices.

Many online outlets (like Tiger Direct & NewEgg) do that to some extent, But I'm
looking for an impartial source.

And don't reply to me again unless you have something useful to say. The only
reason you're not in the kill filter is so I can correct your bad "advice",
which happens quite frequently.

WTF do you do for a living? It sure isn't in the IT field.

..

RACLOT MICHEL

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You want a good computer at an unreasonably cheap price. That's like
>>wanting a new car for under $5,000.

> Here tard...
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...IN#detailspecs
>
> I'm just looking for a good search engine to tick off the specs I want and
> return a list of vendors with prices.
>
> Many online outlets (like Tiger Direct & NewEgg) do that to some extent,
> But I'm
> looking for an impartial source.
>
> And don't reply to me again unless you have something useful to say. The
> only
> reason you're not in the kill filter is so I can correct your bad
> "advice",
> which happens quite frequently.
>
> WTF do you do for a living? It sure isn't in the IT field.
>
> .

RACLOT MICHEL

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You want a good computer at an unreasonably cheap price. That's like
>>wanting a new car for under $5,000.

> Here tard...
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...IN#detailspecs
>
> I'm just looking for a good search engine to tick off the specs I want and
> return a list of vendors with prices.
>
> Many online outlets (like Tiger Direct & NewEgg) do that to some extent,
> But I'm
> looking for an impartial source.
>
> And don't reply to me again unless you have something useful to say. The
> only
> reason you're not in the kill filter is so I can correct your bad
> "advice",
> which happens quite frequently.
>
> WTF do you do for a living? It sure isn't in the IT field.
>
> .

G. Morgan

"RACLOT MICHEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<nothing>

????

G. Morgan

"RACLOT MICHEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<nothing again>

????

G. Morgan

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For current CPU's you might get some idea from the 'Charts' on
>www.tomshardware.com.
>
>For what you can get for your $500 a quick look at Neweggs $400-$500
>bracket.
>(lots of lower spec CPU's and onboard graphics, not particularly noteworthy
>IMHO)
>
>I would start by reading this reliability survey:
>http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf
>Makes for interesting reading and aligns with my experiences.
>
>(Sorry to all you HP/Compaq fans but they are crap at the moment)
>
>Your list of features (Dual Core, 4GB ram etc) is an excellent way to sort
>the wheat from the chaff.
>Other spec's you may wish to consider:
>Screen resolution.
>Screen Size.
>DVD drive (or not)
>Warranty (HP is particularly tough on this)
>Battery life.
>LED backlit screen.
>etc etc.
>
>Then when you've got your brand sorted it should be a lot easier to winkle
>out the model that suits you best.

Thank you very much for the reply. I stupidly got too anxious and went out and
got a Lenovo 4151 at Fry's for $379 + tax, not too bad considering TigerDirect
has them for $459.

It only has 2 USB ports, and a VGA output (would have loved HDMI). And the
keyboard is all screwy. Plus no built-in Bluetooth, so I have an adaptor using
up a precious USB port for that! The keys are not in the same places as with
other keyboards. I keep hitting "Fn" because that's where "Ctrl" used to be,
and the Del key is 3 keys in from the top left, not the first key on the top
left like I'm used to (it's "pause" -- who uses that key??)

So I've got some buyers remorse, but the "restocking fee" of 15% would kinda
blow the whole budget thing I had in mind.

I'll keep this one and use it for a while, then just turn it into a
media/file/print server after I get the Lappy I "really" want. <sigh> too
impulsive.