Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop problem--suggestions?

laptop problem--suggestions?

MZB

Howdy:

I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I am
running XP HOME SP3.

Lately, I am having the following problem:

The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute wait
for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for awhile.
I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll have to
do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut it down).

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced the
startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.

One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do now I
get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an error report,
it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers. But it doesn't
specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem may not even be related
to my other one.

One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this happens. It
only happens after I've been running the computer for awhile. Does this
sound like an overheating problem? Last time it happened, I could not get it
to restart; it would freeze after the splash screen, so again I had to do a
cold shutdown. That was last night. Today it booted right up and is running
nicely, no problems.

I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.

Suggestions?

Mel

Whiskers

On 2010-04-24, MZB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I am
> running XP HOME SP3.
>
> Lately, I am having the following problem:
>
> The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute wait
> for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for awhile.
> I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
> completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll have to
> do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut it down).

[...]

> Suggestions?
>
> Mel

Forced shut-downs won't be helping; they can damage files the operating
system needs to work properly. Try letting the machine sort itself out -
it may just be too busy to respond, rather than 'stalled'.

Automated checking for updates to anti-virus etc programs doesn't
necessarily use your web browser; there is a lot more to the internet than
the web. If you forcibly stop the machine while it's trying to find or
install 'updates' of any sort, all sorts of things could 'break'.

Overheating is certainly one thing to check; use 'canned air' sold for the
purpose in electronics shops to remove dust and fluff from the fans,
heatsinks, and ducts. Also make sure the vents are not blocked - standing
the machine directly on soft furniture or ones lap can do that, using a
board or tray can make a big difference.

Check that programs you aren't using aren't still running.

If you want to have anti-malware scans or other house-keeping tasks carried
out periodically, schedule them for times when the machine is likely to be
running but not wanted for anything 'big'. It could be better to set such
things to be run manually as and when it suits you, rather than
automatically - if you remember to do it!

Running out of hard disc space can cause problems, particularly if you
have the 'swap space' set to something like 'automatic' or 'as much as
possible'; when the operating system tries to use the swap space it can
struggle if that space is fragmented or too small. Remove files you don't
need to have immediately available (put them on removable discs or memory
sticks instead), and use the Windows 'system' tools to repair or remove
'orphaned' files and unwanted temporary files; then 'defragment', and set a
fixed size and position for the 'swap space'. Even with a fixed swap
file, lack of space for storing new or changed files can make the machine
work hard trying to squeeze them in.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Buffalo

MZB wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I
> am running XP HOME SP3.
>
> Lately, I am having the following problem:
>
> The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute
> wait for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for
> awhile.
> I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
> completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll
> have to do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut
> it down).
>
> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced
> the startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.
>
> One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do
> now I get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an
> error report, it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers.
> But it doesn't specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem
> may not even be related to my other one.
>
> One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this
> happens. It only happens after I've been running the computer for
> awhile. Does this sound like an overheating problem? Last time it
> happened, I could not get it to restart; it would freeze after the
> splash screen, so again I had to do a cold shutdown. That was last
> night. Today it booted right up and is running nicely, no problems.
>
> I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
> malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Mel

Probably overheating. If the cpu(processor) gets too hot, it goes into
survival mode on Intel brands, anyway.As mentioned in another post, make
sure the laptop is on a hard surface so that the vents are exposed.
If you can keep it running long enough dl and install a free temp monitoring
program such as MotherBoardMonitor and you will be able to see what the
temps actually.
Or, if you feel comfortable, open up the laptop and manually clean the cpu
heatsink cooling fins and cpu fan blades, etc with a can of compressed air,
at least.
Buffalo

larya

If the problem is overheating, you may need a new battery...
However, my first thought was, have you done a defragmentation or
disk cleanup...
Larry

On Apr 24, 8:57*am, "MZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I am
> running XP HOME SP3.
>
> Lately, I am having the following problem:
>
> The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute wait
> for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for awhile.
> I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
> completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll have to
> do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut it down).
>
> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced the
> startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.
>
> One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do now I
> get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an error report,
> it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers. But it doesn't
> specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem may not even be related
> to my other one.
>
> One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this happens. It
> only happens after I've been running the computer for awhile. Does this
> sound like an overheating problem? Last time it happened, I could not get it
> to restart; it would freeze after the splash screen, so again I had to do a
> cold shutdown. That was last night. Today it booted right up and is running
> nicely, no problems.
>
> I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
> malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Mel

MZB

Larry:

Yes, I have done those things

Mel
"larya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
If the problem is overheating, you may need a new battery...
However, my first thought was, have you done a defragmentation or
disk cleanup...
Larry

On Apr 24, 8:57 am, "MZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I am
> running XP HOME SP3.
>
> Lately, I am having the following problem:
>
> The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute wait
> for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for awhile.
> I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
> completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll have
> do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut it down).
>
> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced the
> startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.
>
> One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do now I
> get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an error
> report,
> it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers. But it doesn't
> specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem may not even be
> related
> to my other one.
>
> One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this happens.
> It
> only happens after I've been running the computer for awhile. Does this
> sound like an overheating problem? Last time it happened, I could not get
> it
> to restart; it would freeze after the splash screen, so again I had to do
> cold shutdown. That was last night. Today it booted right up and is
> running
> nicely, no problems.
>
> I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
> malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Mel

chuckcar

"MZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hqups8$r85$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Howdy:
>
> I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I
> am running XP HOME SP3.
>
> Lately, I am having the following problem:
>
> The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute
> wait for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for
> awhile. I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I
> can completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times
> I'll have to do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to
> shut it down).

> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced
> the startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.

Have you experimented with turning them *all* off to try to at least
eliminate that possibility? None are required for windows itself to run.

> One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do
> now I get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an
> error report, it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers.
> But it doesn't specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem may
> not even be related to my other one.

Then windows has become corrupted from hard shutdowns. A restore to a
date *before* you started might fix this problem, followed by
*immediately* turning off all startup entries as they will revert to the
setting it was on that date.

> One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this
> happens. It only happens after I've been running the computer for
> awhile. Does this sound like an overheating problem? Last time it
> happened, I could not get it to restart; it would freeze after the
> splash screen, so again I had to do a cold shutdown. That was last
> night. Today it booted right up and is running nicely, no problems.

Fans run to cool computers. The time to worry is when the fans *aren't*
running. You may have three of them. Which one?

> I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
> malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.

Try the above and see if you notice any performance increase. Almost
certainly you will. If the computer isn't running other things -
precisely what startup is - there's nothing to slow it down. However, do
*not* ise the internet while you're doing this as you will then no
longer have any AV or firewall protection. You *do* use a firewall other
than the one that came with MS windows right?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )