Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MCSA requirements.

MCSA requirements.

HC - Paul

Hey,

I recently started studying for my MCSA. I emailed my study provider to ask
what exams I have to pass to gain my full MCSA. They messed this up & sent me
info on MCSE! Whilst waiting my a reply I found the requirements on the
Mircosoft website. It states that I have to complete the 70-270, 70-290,
70-291 & one elective exam. Is the elective exam one of my choice from the
list on the Mircosoft site? If it is, I recently passed my MCDST & that is on
the elective list so could I use that towards my MCSA? If so I would just
need to pass the 70-270, 70-290 & 70-291 & with my already passed MCDST those
would get me my MCSA?

The reason I ask is my study provider is trying to get me to do the 70-299
which I think I don't have to do as I also found that in the elective section
on the Mircosoft site along with the MCDST. It makes sense to me to elect the
exam I have already passed rather than do a whole new course?

I look forward to a response.

Thank you in advance.

Paul.

Chris M

On 24/04/2010 09:50, HC - Paul wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I recently started studying for my MCSA. I emailed my study provider to ask
> what exams I have to pass to gain my full MCSA. They messed this up& sent me
> info on MCSE! Whilst waiting my a reply I found the requirements on the
> Mircosoft website. It states that I have to complete the 70-270, 70-290,
> 70-291& one elective exam. Is the elective exam one of my choice from the
> list on the Mircosoft site? If it is, I recently passed my MCDST& that is on
> the elective list so could I use that towards my MCSA? If so I would just
> need to pass the 70-270, 70-290& 70-291& with my already passed MCDST those
> would get me my MCSA?
>
> The reason I ask is my study provider is trying to get me to do the 70-299
> which I think I don't have to do as I also found that in the elective section
> on the Mircosoft site along with the MCDST. It makes sense to me to elect the
> exam I have already passed rather than do a whole new course?

Quick answer, yes you can do exactly as you describe - I did the same
thing myself actually, in order to achieve the MCSA.

If you've already passed the MCDST, you are correct in saying that you
only now need 270, 290 and 291 to complete the MCSA.

You definitely don't need to do 299.

--
Chris M.

John R

"HC - Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
>
> I recently started studying for my MCSA. I emailed my study provider to
> ask
> what exams I have to pass to gain my full MCSA. They messed this up & sent
> me
> info on MCSE! Whilst waiting my a reply I found the requirements on the
> Mircosoft website. It states that I have to complete the 70-270, 70-290,
> 70-291 & one elective exam. Is the elective exam one of my choice from the
> list on the Mircosoft site? If it is, I recently passed my MCDST & that is
> on
> the elective list so could I use that towards my MCSA? If so I would just
> need to pass the 70-270, 70-290 & 70-291 & with my already passed MCDST
> those
> would get me my MCSA?
>
> The reason I ask is my study provider is trying to get me to do the 70-299
> which I think I don't have to do as I also found that in the elective
> section
> on the Mircosoft site along with the MCDST. It makes sense to me to elect
> the
> exam I have already passed rather than do a whole new course?
>
> I look forward to a response.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Paul.

Just tell your study provider that you will do 270, 290, and 291 first to
get them out of the way and then you will concentrate on 299. When you
complete the first three, Microsoft will issue MCSA. At that time, you can
say "Oh look, I already have MCSA, gee wiz".

I used MCDST as well to get MCSA.

299 does count towards the security specialization MCSA:S however, so if
that is your goal, then you will need 299 (and I think one other security
related elective).

Also, MCDST will not work as an elective for MCSE. So if your plans are to
move forward to MCSE, then you will have to fulfill another elective
requirement at some point anyway.

Good luck to you.

John R.