Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: I have a problem with this:

Re: I have a problem with this:

123Jim

<sheldonlg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In file www.sheldonlg.com/temp.html There is a big space between the first
> item on in the center on the top and second item. I don't know why that
> is happening. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> (There are no errors in validation and 34 of the same short-tag warning.
> BTW, how do you get rid of that?)
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
> Shelly

you have: clear: both;
in div.dataBlock3Center br

delete clear: both;
things improve .. but the labels get out of line ..

123Jim

<sheldonlg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 4/23/2010 7:40 PM, 123Jim wrote:
>> <sheldonlg> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> In file www.sheldonlg.com/temp.html There is a big space between the
>>> first
>>> item on in the center on the top and second item. I don't know why that
>>> is happening. Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> (There are no errors in validation and 34 of the same short-tag warning.
>>> BTW, how do you get rid of that?)
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shelly

>> you have: clear: both;
>> in div.dataBlock3Center br
>>
>> delete clear: both;
>> things improve .. but the labels get out of line ..

> I deleted it and there was no change in appearance nor problem.
>
> --
> Shelly

I see that .. I must have deleted something else .. can't think what
unfortunately.

The problem I think is to do with the cascading nature of styles. for
example try removing clear: both; from the style applied to <br> in the
containing block labelled: class="panel-body"

Posters here think your markup is very complex .. I guess it is .. why is it
like that?

123Jim

<sheldonlg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 4/24/2010 8:00 PM, idle wrote:

> This example was taken from a much larger application. The other css
> stuff handles other screens. If by "off" you mean in separate linked in
> files, that is the way it is done the real application. I just have here
> the "view source" for that page which shows the expanded css files.
>>

> --
> Shelly

remove clear: both; from

div.panel-body br {
clear: both;
}

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sheldonlg wrote:

> idle wrote:
>> You should also think about moving the css off and cutting down on
>> some of the redundancy.

> This example was taken from a much larger application. The other css
> stuff handles other screens. If by "off" you mean in separate linked
> in files, that is the way it is done the real application. I just
> have here the "view source" for that page which shows the expanded
> css files.

While you are working on the project, why not remove the bogus HTML
comment markers from both the CSS and the JavaScript?
These: <!-- and -->
There are several sets of them in the CSS, all are errors. CSS comment
markers are: /* and */

In the JavaScript, those things haven't been necessary since maybe, um,
Netscape 3? Earlier?

Oh, and:
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.sheldonlg.com%2Ftemp.html>

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sheldonlg wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> While you are working on the project, why not remove the bogus HTML
>> comment markers from both the CSS and the JavaScript?
>> These: <!-- and -->
>> There are several sets of them in the CSS, all are errors. CSS
>> comment markers are: /* and */

> All of those are not part of the code I am tasked to modify. On this
> big application, the one thing I have learned from the past is only
> change what I have been asked to change. (Yes, I agree with you, but
> note that this is just an except of one page).

Ok, so pass it along to the people who do work on those parts.

>> In the JavaScript, those things haven't been necessary since maybe, um,
>> Netscape 3? Earlier?

> It is an OLD app.

...and nobody is maintaining it any longer?

>> Oh, and:
>> <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.sheldonlg.com%2Ftemp.html>

> I validated _before_ putting it up here. There were 34 warning
> messages, all of the "SHORTTAGS" variety.

Um... no, not really.

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sheldonlg wrote:

> On 4/29/2010 5:02 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> [no, he didn't...]

> I ran into so many more problems with this formulation (such as major
> problems when you narrowed the page and differences between IE and
> Firefox) that I spoke to the boss. I convinced him to use tables.
> He wanted to reserve the use of tables to only when there is actual
> table of data being presented and not for formatting purposes.
> Thankfully, he saw that a week of effort was not worth it.

You have "relational data" on your test.html page, as I see it. Tables
are appropriate. The labels and the data are related to each other.

I see you've updated (somewhat) your page. You now have nested tables
for columns of data. Why that? Why not use just one table with six
columns?

Saves a lot of confusing markup...

--
-bts

Jenn

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
>
>> On 4/29/2010 5:02 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>
>> I ran into so many more problems with this formulation (such as major
>> problems when you narrowed the page and differences between IE and
>> Firefox) that I spoke to the boss. I convinced him to use tables. He
>> wanted to reserve the use of tables to only when there is actual table
>> of data being presented and not for formatting purposes. Thankfully, he
>> saw that a week of effort was not worth it.

> That is what tables are FOR, presenting tabular data. They should never
> be used for formatting.

Why? I use tables all the time in order to get a page to format exactly
like I want it to format.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

dorayme

In article <hrfpmu$jum$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > That is what tables are FOR, presenting tabular data. They should never
> > be used for formatting.

> Why? I use tables all the time in order to get a page to format exactly
> like I want it to format.

Here we go again, round and round the mulberry bush... which
reminds me, have I ever given my recipe for mulberry jam here?

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

On 30 Apr 2010, "Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
>>
>>> On 4/29/2010 5:02 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>>
>>> I ran into so many more problems with this formulation (such as
>>> major problems when you narrowed the page and differences between
>>> IE and Firefox) that I spoke to the boss. I convinced him to use
>>> tables. He wanted to reserve the use of tables to only when there
>>> is actual table of data being presented and not for formatting
>>> purposes. Thankfully, he saw that a week of effort was not worth
>>> it.

>> That is what tables are FOR, presenting tabular data. They should
>> never be used for formatting.

> Why? I use tables all the time in order to get a page to format
> exactly like I want it to format.

Actually, in some cases I use tables for formatting and not for
"tabular data", and the usage is quite valid in the broadest meaning of
the word. Don't listen to the pedants but alternate means *do* exist
for many of the things lotsa people misuse tables for.

--
Neredbojias

http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/

Jenn

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jenn wrote:
>> "Lewis"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> That is what tables are FOR, presenting tabular data. They should never
>>> be used for formatting.

>> Why? I use tables all the time in order to get a page to format exactly
>> like I want it to format.
>>

> Let me Google that for you ...
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tables+html+bad
>
> Not trying to be sarcastic, Jenn. It's just that this is a topic that has
> been discussed ad nauseum over the years and a simple search on your part
> would have obviated yet another lengthy discussion about about it here.

I really don't care what google says about the subject, I was more
interested in why ya'll don't like to use tables. I've been coding for
14yrs or more and tables generally solve most formatting problems and they
are easier to use than CSS, while, I do like CSS, I'd never use it to format
an entire website willingly... ever........ I'd rather use CSS for style
sheets as far as formatting fonts, links, and such. Actually, I'd say tables
are my specialty.....

I've only been privy to this group for many a month, reading it off and on,
so while some of you may have discussed this topic ad nauseum, I have never
had that conversation with anyone before.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)