Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: I have a problem with this:

Re: I have a problem with this:

Jenn

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <c053f$4bdc5ae9$6216f11c$(E-Mail Removed)>
> freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 May 2010 16:32:50 +0000, Lewis writ:

>>> <http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=080/080.css>

>> mmmm... Perhaps not the best example.

>> <http://i40.tinypic.com/106iujo.png> << Opera on Mandriva

> CSS does not solve all design problems for all browser, but it makes
> designing a lot simpler.
>
> Here's another example which i couldn't find earlier that shows just how
> powerful CSS can be.
>

> <http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=099/099.css>

I looked at it... so what makes that such a great CSS example?
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Jenn

"freemont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:72c78$4bdc5ba9$6216f11c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 01 May 2010 11:46:39 -0500, Jenn writ:
>
>> That's not just CSS tho ... it also has references to rss and xml

> Holy mackerel.
>
> Do you think that RSS or XML have anything to do with the appearance of a
> web page?
> --

content .. silly

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Jenn

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <hrhltb$2a0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
> Jenn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> That's not just CSS tho ... it also has references to rss and xml

> The only thing that changes between the pages is the css that is loaded.

Well ... Unless I can study each css file and compare them, it's not going
to make any sense to me. I don't speak CSS, but I can read it. I can get
the same results with regular html, images, and tables.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn wrote:

> "Lewis" wrote:
>> Jenn wrote:
>>> That's not just CSS tho ... it also has references to rss and xml

>> The only thing that changes between the pages is the css that is
>> loaded.

> Well ... Unless I can study each css file and compare them, it's not
> going to make any sense to me. I don't speak CSS, but I can read it.
> I can get the same results with regular html, images, and tables.

You keep missing the point. With a CSS-designed site, you can change the
complete design of the entire site by making some minor edits to just
one file. With your tables-for-layout pages, you need to edit nearly
everything for every single page of the whole site.

Let's say we each have a 100-page site, and the client wants a new
"look" for it. Let's say he wants to move from a menu at the top with
one browser-width column of content below it, to a two-column layout
with a menu at the left and the content to the right.

You: edit a hundred pages
Me: edit one CSS file

Let's say the 100 pages have a footer (copyright, contact us, usual
stuff). Client decides he wants it aligned to the right instead of
centered.

Repeat You/Me above. I would just change "text-align: center" to
"text-align: right" once in the #footer CSS and I'm done. How about you?

--
-bts

dorayme

In article <hri2n0$b26$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> > On 30 Apr 2010, "Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >> "Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > ... Despite the
> > babble here, css really has 2 major parts: styling, like color, fonts,
> > and say opacity, and layout such as position (static/absolute/fixed),
> > floats, and "layering": ie. z-index or ordering.

You mean that the babble contains some major thesis that says CSS
does not have these parts?

--
dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sheldonlg wrote:

>> I see you've updated (somewhat) your page. You now have nested tables
>> for columns of data. Why that? Why not use just one table with six
>> columns?

> Because that is the way they want it to look -- Three sets on top of the
> line and two below.

Duh. So use a six-column table for the first batch, and a four-column
table for the rest.

The labels and values are related: tabular data.

--
-bts

idle

On Sat, 1 May 2010 19:30:40 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote in
alt.html:

> Jenn wrote:

>>> The only thing that changes between the pages is the css that is
>>> loaded.

>> Well ... Unless I can study each css file and compare them, it's not
>> going to make any sense to me. I don't speak CSS, but I can read it.
>> I can get the same results with regular html, images, and tables.

> You keep missing the point. With a CSS-designed site, you can change the
> complete design of the entire site by making some minor edits to just
> one file. With your tables-for-layout pages, you need to edit nearly
> everything for every single page of the whole site.
>
> Let's say we each have a 100-page site, and the client wants a new
> "look" for it. Let's say he wants to move from a menu at the top with
> one browser-width column of content below it, to a two-column layout
> with a menu at the left and the content to the right.
>
> You: edit a hundred pages
> Me: edit one CSS file
>
> Let's say the 100 pages have a footer (copyright, contact us, usual
> stuff). Client decides he wants it aligned to the right instead of
> centered.
>
> Repeat You/Me above. I would just change "text-align: center" to
> "text-align: right" once in the #footer CSS and I'm done. How about you?

I'm just guessing here.
Outsource to India for 10 bucks and get it back in the morning's email?
NoteTab search string, replace string?
DW > Resources > Change ****?
Vodka, the new Kick Ass movie and a hankie?

--
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

dorayme

In article <hri37d$dtf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ...I don't speak CSS, but I can read it. I can get
> the same results with regular html, images, and tables.

Get "the same result" in tables with regular images and just
html, achieving the main aims of the following design - which is
to be pretty fluid and to make maximeum use of different screen
spaces. The centering is an extra, don't be distracted by this
feature and, most important, don't forget to post a URL of your
own.

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/2jcs5r>

So far its all been talk, right? And you saying how surprised you
are to hear about the movement to separate content from
presentation, how newsy this is to you, how you have been in some
sort of fox hole for years with head down using tables making
money and now refusing to research past discussions here and
google so that you can proactively understand things instead of
simply knocking down every advantage claimed by posts here, each
knockdown requiring someone to dedicate time to you to bring you
up to at least speed on the issue so that you can accept or
reject it with intelligence and understanding.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn wrote:
> "Lewis"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message<c053f$4bdc5ae9$6216f11c$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> freemont<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 01 May 2010 16:32:50 +0000, Lewis writ:

<snip>

>> <http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=099/099.css>
>>

> I looked at it... so what makes that such a great CSS example?

As web page, nothing great, but what is does demonstrate is how
radically you can change the look and layout only by changing the
stylesheet and not touching the content. The transformation is not
possible if locked within a table scaffold where a completed rewrite
would be required.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <hrij5r$9he$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,

> Jenn wrote:
> > "Lewis"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <snip>
>

> >> <http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=099/099.css>
> >>

> > I looked at it... so what makes that such a great CSS example?

> As web page, nothing great, but what is does demonstrate is how
> radically you can change the look and layout only by changing the
> stylesheet and not touching the content. The transformation is not
> possible if locked within a table scaffold where a completed rewrite
> would be required.

Exactly, an ideal is being demonstrated. In practice, it is
always hard to live up to ideals but that does not mean there are
not genuine gains to be made by taking as many reasonable steps
as you can in the direction. This OP seems reluctant to take the
steps needed to understand the *basic idea* of separating content
from style, however much this distinction can be critically
examined.

--
dorayme