Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: I have a problem with this:

Re: I have a problem with this:

Jenn

news:hrne39$vuq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Jenn wrote:

>>> That appears not to be the case.

>> How about showing some sites you'd done and gotten paid for?

> Sure, here's a few:
> http://countryrode.com/
> http://freezeblock.com/
> http://fingerlakesbmw.org/
> my personal site:
> http://tekrider.net/

well.. your sites are very.. mmmmmm ... male influenced as far as the
design goes... but that's to be expected.

You need a bigger image of you on the motorcycle. How old is that image?
It's so small it sort of looks like you're wearing 70's clothes.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hrnftl$rbs$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Jenn wrote:
>
>> So, what sort of sites have you built and did you get paid?

> Okay, I'll throw you a bone. Done a while ago but still holds up.
>
> http://www.bigbra.com

Interesting site..... basic stuff .... male type of design for a female
geared website....

thanks......
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

freemont

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:42:54 -0400, Jonathan N. Little writ:

> Done a while ago but still holds up.
>
> http://www.bigbra.com

ta-DUM!

--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Jenn wrote:
>>> How about showing some sites you'd done and gotten paid for?

>> Sure, here's a few:
>> http://countryrode.com/
>> http://freezeblock.com/
>> http://fingerlakesbmw.org/
>> my personal site:
>> http://tekrider.net/

> well.. your sites are very.. mmmmmm ... male influenced as far as the
> design goes... but that's to be expected.

Motorcycles and building materials. Generally male.

> You need a bigger image of you on the motorcycle. How old is that
> image? It's so small it sort of looks like you're wearing 70's
> clothes.

It is meant to be small. And yes, 1978 to be exact. Though I retired
early, it was eight years ago.

That's your worst criticism? LOL

--
-bts

dorayme

In article <hrmolj$dmq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <hrlplb$obp$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> >> actually, I'm kind of nervous here and don't want to say the wrong thing.
> >> Ya'll have been such nice people. I don't want to trip and knock over
> >> someones favorite lamp! LOL

> > Look, don't worry Jenn,
> > ... Hang about and improve the stability of
> > your own lamps. <g>
> >
> > I looked at the site you gave a post or two back and I can say
> > you have a nice eye and sense of colour, a few of the right
> > building blocks for making good websites. And I'm impressed by
> > how you were proactive in gathering the material for your job.
> >
> > I won't say much about the example except don't be reluctant to
> > hang about and pick up various things. I think it is fairly
> > obvious you need to get a better feel for usuablity issues, stuff
> > like robust best practice font sizes, use of Flash, easing up on
> > constraining boxes that cause unnecessary scrolling by the user
> > (especially one that has eyesight different to yours or young
> > people in general), a few things about the usefulness of
> > validating, using a strict doctype and so on. All things that
> > will *add* to your enjoyment, even in using tables.

> Well ... I've never had access to a group like this before, so I'm finding
> it interesting. I've been too busy working! LOL I do enjoy learning new
> things, but I also don't have time to start over and re-learn whatever
> techniques some of you guys discuss. There just aren't enough hours in the
> day to do that.

So you are here to sort of ...what? Just chat? <g>

If you can spare the time, maybe you could incorporate at least
some of the suggestions you pick up here into any work you do in
the future. I am not saying all of the suggestions all at once,
just the odd thing now and then. We get to be pretty grateful and
show it. For each 'bad practice' you stop employing, we pay a
small royalty. Think of it as side income.

--
dorayme

rf

news:hrn0du$hol$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Jenn wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:

>> Well.. up until now I've never gotten any of those calls.

> I'd suspect what happens is the 40% of the visitors who can't use your
> sites, just go back to Google and find someone else - some other company
> - who sells what they are interested in. Imagine how pleased your
> clients would be if their bottom line increased by 40% LOL.

Easily checked. Process the raw logs. Correlate the number of page hits and
the length of time those hits occur per visitor.

IE -> many page hits over quite a while as the visitor browses around the
site looking for an appropriate door.

Firefox -> few page hits, lasting only a few seconds until the visitor
determines the site is a) broken, b) impossible to use.

Opera -> one single page hit and the visitor is never to be seen again.

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hrnftl$rbs$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Jenn wrote:
>>
>>> So, what sort of sites have you built and did you get paid?

>> Okay, I'll throw you a bone. Done a while ago but still holds up.
>>
>> http://www.bigbra.com
>>

> Interesting site..... basic stuff .... male type of design for a female
> geared website....

Except it is a *female* CEO that I worked closely with to develop the
design. My personal preference would be different. The point though is
the site is flexible, technically valid, and does not presume you are
using any one browser, device, viewport, text size...and it works.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

>>> http://freezeblock.com/
>>> http://fingerlakesbmw.org/
>>> my personal site:
>>> http://tekrider.net/

>> well.. your sites are very.. mmmmmm ... male influenced as far as the
>> design goes... but that's to be expected.

> Motorcycles and building materials. Generally male.
>
>> You need a bigger image of you on the motorcycle. How old is that
>> image? It's so small it sort of looks like you're wearing 70's
>> clothes.

> It is meant to be small. And yes, 1978 to be exact. Though I retired
> early, it was eight years ago.
>
> That's your worst criticism? LOL

Appears to have issues in addition to an inability to develop beyond
code-monkey. I wouldn't fret much. C'est la vie.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Ed Mullen wrote:

> I am left now with two possibilities:
>
> 1. You're unwilling to learn
> 2. You're simply trolling
>
> I lean toward number two.

Number one is a certainty, though.

> No one could be as clueless and make a living at Web design.

There's a phrase out there somewhere usually attributed to P.T. Barnum.

--
-bts

freemont

On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:04:17 -0400, Ed Mullen writ:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:
>>
>>> I am left now with two possibilities:
>>>
>>> 1. You're unwilling to learn
>>> 2. You're simply trolling
>>>
>>> I lean toward number two.

>> Number one is a certainty, though.
>>
>>> No one could be as clueless and make a living at Web design.

>> There's a phrase out there somewhere usually attributed to P.T. Barnum.
>>

> Dammit, I can't quite Google it!
>
> Oh, well, all we have to do it wait, someone will tell us.

"There's a sucker born in Oklahoma every minute." --Barnum
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"