Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BIOS not detecting hard drive

BIOS not detecting hard drive

M.L.

I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
for about 2 years collecting dust.

After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]

The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:

SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

meerkat

"M.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
> for about 2 years collecting dust.
>
> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
>
> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
>
> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
>
> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5
>
> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.
>
> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.
>
> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

Probably a SATA driver problem.,
bw..M

Mike Easter

24hshd only

M.L. wrote:
> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
> for about 2 years collecting dust.
>
> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
> website,

.... which instructions^1 show you how to deal with the condition of the
hdd bay for the vaio desktop and which instructions show you to connect
the sata power cable and the sata data cable.

VGC-RA8xx Series Hard Disk Drive Replacement Instructions ^1
994629200_HDD_Rev_C_NO_PHONE.pdf

>the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

This statement is not consistent with another statement later.

> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
>
> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
>
> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

What exactly is the hardware tab of the bios as a separate concept from
'the bios shows'?

> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

Explain better to me where the drive shows and where the drive doesn't show.

> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

The sata drive jumpers are not for the end user.

> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

I don't understand yet where the drive is seen in the bios and where the
drive is not seen in the bios.

Here is an example of a bios seeing 2 sata drives and 1 optical:

American Megatrends bios (disregarding a special preliminary screen)
the first screen names the mobo, cpu speed ram followed by the 4
opportunities for drives. The 1st drive named is the optical ide as a
master and there is no ide slave. The 3rd master is a sata and the 4th
master is another sata.

What exactly does your bios say at every place it could name the sata?

The first place would be right after it names the 2 opticals you have,
presumably as master and slave. The second place would be when it
starts all over naming all of the drives.

--
Mike Easter

Jordon

M.L. wrote:

> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
> for about 2 years collecting dust.
>
> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
>
> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
>
> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
>
> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5
>
> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.
>
> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.
>
> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

If it's how you say in the first part of your post, the error
upon boot would be that there is no boot drive detected (or
something like that). Is that what happens? Or does it start
to boot but Windows fails to load because all of the Windows
drivers installed on that drive don't work with all the new
and different hardware?

--
Jordon

philo

M.L. wrote:
> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
> for about 2 years collecting dust.
>
> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
>
> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
>
> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
>
> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

This shows that the bios does, in fact detect the drive
and since it's SATA it would not be listed as an IDE

I'd just boot off your XP cd and install Windows
If the installer does not detect the drive...
then post back

your XP cd should be sp2 or sp3

> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.
>
> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.
>
> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

M.L.

>> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
>> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
>> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
>> for about 2 years collecting dust.
>>
>> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
>> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
>>
>> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
>> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
>>
>> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
>>
>> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5
>>
>> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.
>>
>> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
>> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
>> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
>> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
>> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.
>>
>> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks.

>Probably a SATA driver problem.,
>bw..M

The original installed drive for the Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G is SATA so
all the cable connections were intact. There are no drivers installed
because there is no operating system installed yet.

M.L.

>> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
>> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
>> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
>> for about 2 years collecting dust.
>>
>> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
>> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
>>
>> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
>> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
>>
>> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
>>
>> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

>> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

>This shows that the bios does, in fact detect the drive
>and since it's SATA it would not be listed as an IDE

Thanks. That makes sense.

>I'd just boot off your XP cd and install Windows
>If the installer does not detect the drive...
>then post back
>
>your XP cd should be sp2 or sp3

I tried installing Win XP SP3 from a boot CD. When I got to the
section to choose between installing or recovering, I pressed ENTER to
install, then I got several drive entries stating "There is no disk
for this device."

UPDATE: When I booted with Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Live CD, Puppy detected
the SATA hard drive, including the recovery partition and the C:
drive. It also detected the floppy and the mounted DVD drive. So I'm
beginning to think the problem lies in the lack of proper SATA drivers
for Win XP.

M.L.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:21:14 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>24hshd only
>
>M.L. wrote:
>> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
>> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
>> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
>> for about 2 years collecting dust.
>>
>> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
>> website,

>... which instructions^1 show you how to deal with the condition of the
>hdd bay for the vaio desktop and which instructions show you to connect
>the sata power cable and the sata data cable.
>
>VGC-RA8xx Series Hard Disk Drive Replacement Instructions ^1
>994629200_HDD_Rev_C_NO_PHONE.pdf

That's the exact guide I used.
<http://www.docs.sony.com/release/994629200_HDD_Rev_C_NO_PHONE.pdf>

>>the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

>This statement is not consistent with another statement later.
>
>> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
>> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
>>
>> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
>>
>> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

>> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

>What exactly is the hardware tab of the bios as a separate concept from
>'the bios shows'?

The Phoenix Award BIOS menu is as follows:
Main/Advanced/Power/Boot/Exit

>Explain better to me where the drive shows and where the drive doesn't show.

Main: showed the Primary IDE DVD info. No SATA info shown.

Boot->Hard Disk Drives: showed the detection of the ST3160023A5.

>> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
>> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
>> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
>> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
>> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

>The sata drive jumpers are not for the end user.
>
>> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks.

>I don't understand yet where the drive is seen in the bios and where the
>drive is not seen in the bios.
>
>Here is an example of a bios seeing 2 sata drives and 1 optical:
>
>American Megatrends bios (disregarding a special preliminary screen)
>the first screen names the mobo, cpu speed ram followed by the 4
>opportunities for drives. The 1st drive named is the optical ide as a
>master and there is no ide slave. The 3rd master is a sata and the 4th
>master is another sata.
>
>What exactly does your bios say at every place it could name the sata?
>
>The first place would be right after it names the 2 opticals you have,
>presumably as master and slave. The second place would be when it
>starts all over naming all of the drives.

As I mentioned in another post, Puppy Linux detected and browsed the
hard drive correctly, so I think I need to get the correct SATA
drivers to allow Win XP to see the drive.

Rod Speed

M.L. wrote:

> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive.
> The defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a
> basement for about 2 years collecting dust.

> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]

> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:

> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

Most likely you just need to partition and format the drive now.

The XP install will allow you to do that.

> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly.

Yes, the drive needs to be partitioned and formatted.

> I noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was
> no plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select,

There is no master and slave with SATA drives.

> and I've read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

It should be jumpered correctly given that it came out of a system.

> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Just proceed with the installation of XP, the install
should see the drive and allow you to format the drive.

> Right now I just want the drive to be detected so I can install Win XP MCE from a boot CD.

Just boot from that CD and install XP.

M.L.

>>As I mentioned in another post, Puppy Linux detected and browsed the
>>hard drive correctly, so I think I need to get the correct SATA
>>drivers to allow Win XP to see the drive.

>Yup. Hit F6 to install third party drivers when prompted. Google your
>PC model or motherboard make and model for the proper SATA controller
>drivers.

I did all that and everything is working fine now. Thank you, and
thanks to everyone who made my problem go away faster than I expected.