Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Posting to a newsgroup without archive

Re: Posting to a newsgroup without archive

Mike Yetto

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> writes and having writ moves on.
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:58:44 -0700, "micky" <mickyMouse@.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I say on a couple of newsgroups that some post can be deleted automatically
>>after so many days. I was wondering how is this done and what do you write
>>in the body of the text.
>>Thanks
>>

> Umm.. You don't. What you're probably thinking of is the Google Groups
> Archive, which you CAN set to only store for 7 days. But this is only
> for the copy stored on Google's servers.

Point of order:
Google does not remove the post marked "X-No-Archive: yes" after
a week, but it does stop displaying it.

> Your message otherwise is stored for the retention time of the
> other newsservers use - often 120 days, sometimes even more for
> less active groups.
>
> For Google Groups, you can either add a header field OR the first line
> of your message:

> It's cleaner to do it in the header if your newsreader allows.

And this X header does not affect news-server retention or most
archive site other than Google.

Mike "and it doesn't affect replies" Yetto
In practice they are not.