Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JAVA Applet Security Question

JAVA Applet Security Question

Dancing Fingers

Hi guys,
I'm working on a JAVA Applet that emails text within the Applet.

Within the Applet's directory is the java.policy.applet:

/* AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED ON Tue Apr 16 17:20:59 EDT 2002*/
/* DO NOT EDIT */

grant {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

When I tell the Applet to email I get:

Email Exception java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.util.PropertyPermission * read,write) clicked

Do I need to change the JAVA security in the CLASSPATH or pass
security parameters within the Applet html tags?

Thanks.
Chris

Jan Thomä

Hi,

On 23.04.10 10:24, Dancing Fingers wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm working on a JAVA Applet that emails text within the Applet.
>
> Within the Applet's directory is the java.policy.applet:
>
> /* AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED ON Tue Apr 16 17:20:59 EDT 2002*/
> /* DO NOT EDIT */
>
> grant {
> permission java.security.AllPermission;
> };

IIRC you need to sign your applet to make this work. (see
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lside...ed-applet.html)

You also might want to consider using Java WebStart instead of an
applet, which is IMHO more convenient for the users if your applet is in
fact a standalone application. Depends on your use case though.

Kind regards,
Jan

Roedy Green

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 01:24:26 -0700 (PDT), Dancing Fingers
said :

>Do I need to change the JAVA security in the CLASSPATH or pass
>security parameters within the Applet html tags?

You need to sign the Applet. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/signedapplets.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

It’s amazing how much structure natural languages have when you consider who speaks them and how they evolved.

Dancing Fingers

Thanks guys. The applet actually has a keyboard for people with
special needs. I just wanted to give it some functionality. It will
be at http://yougarage.tv/swiper/keyboard.html..
Thanks.
Chris