Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Explorer, WinXP view?, other stuff, please be patient

Windows Explorer, WinXP view?, other stuff, please be patient

Rich

I'm new to Win 7 Pro, making the move from WinXP Pro.

I want Windows Explorer to open default to the computer tree with computer
expanded showing the available installed drives as I had it in WinXP.

I also want the computer tree to be above the other options in the left pane
such as the Libraries, etc.

Right now the cascading order is Desktop, Libraries, Homegroup, User,
Computer, etc.

I'd like it to default with the Computer group listed right under Desktop
and expanded, and the Libraries group below that and not expanded.

Is that even possible?

On another note, I was able to use ShellNewHandler to get rid of the
templates in the 'New' context menu but I'm not able to get rid of the
'Briefcase' option in that list. Any suggestions on how to do that?
Previously I've used TweakUi to do that kind of stuff but the Ultimate
Windows Tweaker does not offer that option.

And finally, Sticky Notes is a very useful option. Does anyone know the
extension for those notes? I'd like to add one of those as a template option
in the 'New' context menu. Anyone have any success with that yet?

Thanks,
Rich

David

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm new to Win 7 Pro, making the move from WinXP Pro.
>
> I want Windows Explorer to open default to the computer
> tree with computer expanded showing the available
> installed drives as I had it in WinXP.
>
> I also want the computer tree to be above the other
> options in the left pane such as the Libraries, etc.
>
> Right now the cascading order is Desktop, Libraries,
> Homegroup, User, Computer, etc.
>
> I'd like it to default with the Computer group listed
> right under Desktop and expanded, and the Libraries group
> below that and not expanded.
>
> Is that even possible?

(snip)
> Thanks,
> Rich

Try this:
%windir%\explorer.exe /e,C:

David

Charlie Russel - MVP

Not exactly what the OP wants, but probably the closest you can get. Another
thing you probably want to do is to enable the menus always being available,
and a couple of other settings that might be useful and give a more "XP
feel" to Explorer.

Press Alt, select Tools, Folder Options. Check the Show All Folders and
Automatically Expand To Current Folder options. Click on the View tab and
check the Always Show Menus option. Make any other adjustments in here that
you want, and then click Apply to Folders and then OK.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm new to Win 7 Pro, making the move from WinXP Pro.
>>
>> I want Windows Explorer to open default to the computer tree with
>> computer expanded showing the available installed drives as I had it in
>> WinXP.
>>
>> I also want the computer tree to be above the other options in the left
>> pane such as the Libraries, etc.
>>
>> Right now the cascading order is Desktop, Libraries, Homegroup, User,
>> Computer, etc.
>>
>> I'd like it to default with the Computer group listed right under Desktop
>> and expanded, and the Libraries group below that and not expanded.
>>
>> Is that even possible?
>>

> (snip)
>> Thanks,
>> Rich

> Try this:
> %windir%\explorer.exe /e,C:
>
> David

Carlos

Rich,
You might also want to consider some freeware file managers instead of
windows explorer.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...le-manager.htm
Carlos