Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Switch from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows 7

Switch from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows 7

Bill C

I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).

The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?

Bobby Johnson

Since your package came with both 32-bit & 64-bit DVDs you may "upgrade"
from 32-bit to 64-bit, but it will require a full clean install. There
is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit and you may have to activate
via telephone since your Product Key has already been activated with the
32-bit.

You can migrate you data files and program setting using Windows Easy
Transfer. I used this to upgrade my wife's computer from 32-bit XP Pro
to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a clean install. I was pleasantly
surprised how well the Easy Transfer worked. You can customize what is
included in the transfer also.

On 2010-04-22 15:38, Bill C wrote:
> I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
> Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
> Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
> Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).
>
> The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
> install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
> copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?

Jerry

Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?

"Bill C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
> Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
> Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
> Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).
>
> The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
> install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
> copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?

James Kosin

On 4/22/2010 4:15 PM, Jerry wrote:
> Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?
>
> "Bill C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
>> Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
>> Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
>> Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).
>>
>> The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
>> install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
>> copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?

Jerry,

Most newer ones are, however, it won't hurt to look-up the information.

Information on the processor can be retrieved from the 'My Computer'
'Properties' or the 'System Properties'.... varies by OS.

Intel Processors are here : http://www.intel.com
search for the Intel number (on my system E4500)
and look for supporting Intel® EM64T

AMD is here: http://www.amd.com
they are a bit more difficult, but try the search.

I'm also pretty sure that the install will NOT continue if the processor
is not 64-bit complaint. Microsoft and Intel state that the BIOS,
motherboard and processor all have to be 64-bit compliant for the system
to reach the expected performance.

James

Bill C

On Apr 22, 1:15*pm, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?

Yes. I had my choice of 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. I chose 32-bit (I had
heard of some compatability issues with 64-bit windows).

I wish Microsoft would make it easier to have systems with both 32-bit
and 64-bit Windows installed. A single installation of Windows should
do both and installed applications should be available to both as
well.

As it is now, if I want both, I need to install my applications twice,
once for each version of Windows.

sanjacstudent12

There is too much content that has to be different between the two, as
evidenced by the compatibility issues mentioned earlier. That being said, I
have been using 64-bit systems since XP 64 first came out, and I should say
that it is MUCH more difficult to find hardware and software that is
incompatible with 64-bit.

"Bill C" wrote:

> On Apr 22, 1:15 pm, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?
> >

> Yes. I had my choice of 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. I chose 32-bit (I had
> heard of some compatability issues with 64-bit windows).
>
> I wish Microsoft would make it easier to have systems with both 32-bit
> and 64-bit Windows installed. A single installation of Windows should
> do both and installed applications should be available to both as
> well.
>
> As it is now, if I want both, I need to install my applications twice,
> once for each version of Windows.
> .

John Barnes

You aren't licensed to have both versions installed at the same time,
anyway.