Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Does OE6's Store Folder Contain Attachments

Does OE6's Store Folder Contain Attachments

Internet Highway Traveler

Hello,

My e-mail client is OE6, running on XP Pro SP3.

I maintain the e-mail client's Store Folder on my slave drive.

My e-mails contain text in their message bodies, and many of them have
attachments.

In the event that I need to re-install OE6, I know that I can import all
mail from the folder on the slave drive.

Is only text stored, or, if an e-mail has text and an attachment, are both
stored and therefore importable?

Thanks in advance!

IHT

Mike Easter

Internet Highway Traveler wrote:
Subject: Does OE6's Store Folder Contain Attachments

Yes

> My e-mail client is OE6, running on XP Pro SP3.
>
> I maintain the e-mail client's Store Folder on my slave drive.
>
> My e-mails contain text in their message bodies, and many of them have
> attachments.
>
> In the event that I need to re-install OE6, I know that I can import all
> mail from the folder on the slave drive.
>
> Is only text stored, or, if an e-mail has text and an attachment, are both
> stored and therefore importable?

It is /all/ stored.

The form of an individual mail consists of its headers which information
type we'll call ascii (but it is more than that) and the body which may
be plaintext like ascii or marked up ascii like html and which may have
binary attachments which are typically encoded ascii to facilitate
transmission.

Then OE makes a database out of a collection of those messages by
assembling them together into folder-files and then squishing the
folderfiles into a more efficient storage form which is done by a
proprietary compression scheme.

Having done so, it enables you to use OE to access and decompress or
recompress those proprietary database folderfiles so that you can
rearrage the database mail parts and so that you can access any of the
mails or messages or any of their attachments.

This often also requires having an html rendering engine, such as that
of IE and something to display the graphics or multimedia files or
attachments.

OE is a weak database and it is very easily corrupted, so a good backup
strategy is very important. Tom Koch's insideoe is an excellent place
to read about OE backup and storage considerations

http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Backup and Restore

OE is no longer being developed. It gave way to Windows Mail which gave
way to Windows Live Mail.

Some people save and file the individual attachments separately, such as
graphics files which are family pictures and such.

--
Mike Easter

VanguardLH

Internet Highway Traveler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My e-mail client is OE6, running on XP Pro SP3.
>
> I maintain the e-mail client's Store Folder on my slave drive.
>
> My e-mails contain text in their message bodies, and many of them have
> attachments.
>
> In the event that I need to re-install OE6, I know that I can import all
> mail from the folder on the slave drive.
>
> Is only text stored, or, if an e-mail has text and an attachment, are both
> stored and therefore importable?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> IHT

Where do you think are attachments when you receive e-mails with them? They
don't float out on the cyber ether somewhere separate of the e-mail. They
are *in* the e-mail. That's how you get them. An e-mail only has 3
sections: headers, blank delimiter line, and body. The attachments are MIME
parts in the body of the e-mail. All e-mail - and I mean ALL e-mail - gets
sent as plain text. HTML is text. RTF is text with a .dat attachment to
record the formatting. Attachments are encoded into long text strings in
MIME parts in the body of the e-mail. It's all text and it's all together.