Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Improving or "enhancing" graphics on a PC with a shared videocard...???

Improving or "enhancing" graphics on a PC with a shared videocard...???

BIG DAVE

As anyone knows it's always better to have a dedicated video card as
opposed to one that shares the memory.

That being said, is there anything you can do to improve the
performance of your graphics when you do have a shared graphics card?

I mean, can you somehow "tweak" your settings or perhaps even alter
the amount of memory that the graphics card uses?

To hear some talk, a shared video card is worthless and incapable of
performing even decently and I was just wondering if this is true or
if anything can be done to kinda boost it.

Thanks in advance

DAVID

thanatoid

BIG DAVE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
ups.com:

> As anyone knows it's always better to have a dedicated
> video card as opposed to one that shares the memory.

That's only true if you're a gamer or 3-D CAD or film person,
and even then not absolutely always.

> That being said, is there anything you can do to improve
> the performance of your graphics when you do have a shared
> graphics card?

Yes, you can try to tweak the settings in the control panel of
the card, and if you need to, give it more of the system RAM
part of which is allotted to it. But 4-16 MB is enough for
normal everyday use even with today's ridiculously huge
resolutions.

> I mean, can you somehow "tweak" your settings or perhaps
> even alter the amount of memory that the graphics card
> uses?

Yes, you learn how by reading the help file.

> To hear some talk, a shared video card is worthless and
> incapable of performing even decently

Wouldn't be a salesmen for them $250 4GB onboard RAM video cards
with heatsink/fans bigger than the one for your processor?

> and I was just
> wondering if this is true or if anything can be done to
> kinda boost it.

As above.

Mike Easter

BIG DAVE wrote:
> As anyone knows it's always better to have a dedicated video card as
> opposed to one that shares the memory.

Except that the graphics card on that old machine behind me is extremely
weak, whereas the integrated graphics on my newest machine is much much
more powerful than that. No comparison.

> That being said, is there anything you can do to improve the
> performance of your graphics when you do have a shared graphics card?
>
> I mean, can you somehow "tweak" your settings or perhaps even alter
> the amount of memory that the graphics card uses?

Yes; within the limitations of the design of the integrated graphics.

> To hear some talk, a shared video card is worthless and incapable of
> performing even decently and I was just wondering if this is true or
> if anything can be done to kinda boost it.

Get your focus. Exactly and specifically what are you trying to boost?

Modern graphics cards cost several times what an entire cheap computer
with integrated graphics and other chipset features costs. The demands
which gaming puts onto computing power and graphics is a lot different
than the graphics one needs to surf the web for shopping and to read email.

--
Mike Easter