Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Monitor And Image Burn In Question

New Monitor And Image Burn In Question

Bob

Hello,

Finally tossed my old crt monitor and got a new LG flat panel one.
Really nice.
Guess it's termed a lcd type of monitor.

Are these monitors as damage prone for "burn-in" type of problems as the
crt's were if the image does not change over, e.g., a few hours, and
therefore require a screen-saver ?

If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are ?

I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
(w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?

Thanks,
Bob

Jan B

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:hqmmge$k4r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Hello,
>
> Finally tossed my old crt monitor and got a new LG flat panel one.
> Really nice.
> Guess it's termed a lcd type of monitor.
>
> Are these monitors as damage prone for "burn-in" type of problems as the
> crt's were if the image does not change over, e.g., a few hours, and
> therefore require a screen-saver ?
>
> If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are ?
>
> I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
> (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Google for: lcd monitor burnin
Jan B

Tony

Absolutely correct.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
on the job for potty mouth,

the realm of understandability

richard

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:10:59 -0400, Bob wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Finally tossed my old crt monitor and got a new LG flat panel one.
> Really nice.
> Guess it's termed a lcd type of monitor.
>
> Are these monitors as damage prone for "burn-in" type of problems as the
> crt's were if the image does not change over, e.g., a few hours, and
> therefore require a screen-saver ?
>
> If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are ?
>
> I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
> (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Quit worrying about it. In fifty years I've only seen one case of "burn
in". That was due to the fact the monitor was left on 24 hours a day and
they had the time displayed in the same position.

"Burn in" will not happen in just a few hours. I've left my monitor on
overnight with no burn in effect. If you're that damn worried about it,
just turn off the monitor when not in use.

olfart

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:10:59 -0400, Bob wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Finally tossed my old crt monitor and got a new LG flat panel one.
>> Really nice.
>> Guess it's termed a lcd type of monitor.
>>
>> Are these monitors as damage prone for "burn-in" type of problems as the
>> crt's were if the image does not change over, e.g., a few hours, and
>> therefore require a screen-saver ?
>>
>> If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are ?
>>
>> I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
>> (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Quit worrying about it. In fifty years I've only seen one case of "burn
> in". That was due to the fact the monitor was left on 24 hours a day and
> they had the time displayed in the same position.
>
> "Burn in" will not happen in just a few hours. I've left my monitor on
> overnight with no burn in effect. If you're that damn worried about it,
> just turn off the monitor when not in use.

stOOpid.....LG flatpanels won't' EVER burn in

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> In fifty years I've only seen one case of "burn in".

We're talkin' computers here, St00pid, not mid-60s television sets. Like
you knew what burn-in was when you were eight years old...

To Bob: just set the computer to put the monitor in standby after a
half-hour or an hour of inactivity. How you do that depends on your BIOS
and/or your operating system.

--
-bts

Mike Easter

Bob wrote:

> I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
> (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?

Image persistence is much much less of a problem with LCD than plasma;
and besides that your OS has a dark power saving mode for the monitor.

Damaged phosphor causes the persistence in CRT. The exact causes in LCD
are uncertain/debated, but the condition in LCD is more reversible than
in CRT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence Image persistence is the
LCD and plasma display equivalent of screen burn. Unlike screen burn,
however, the effects are most often only temporary. Plasma displays can
also suffer from burn-in.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

> Image persistence is much much less of a problem with LCD than plasma;

Oops. s/plasma/CRT/

Image persistence is much much less of a problem with LCD than CRT.

--
Mike Easter

thanatoid

Gaius Baltar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:10:59 -0400, Bob
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are
>>?
>>
>>I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally
>>black image (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned
>>(at all) re image burn ?

> Black is the absence of any other colours. The fluorescent
> backlight is always ON however, and there is always some
> light bleed through (set black screensaver, preview it and
> observe in a totally dark room), hence LCD monitors put
> great store on contrast ratio whitest white to blackest
> black, 1000:1 is usually quite satisfactory.

LCD are the biggest and most harmful (AFA quality) scam ever.
They do NOT use less power, they look like **** in general -
like an unsharp mask was over-applied to the entire image - they
do not last, they get dead pixels, when the backlight goes dim
to the point of needing to be changed you find out a new
backlight including service (non-user changeable, except for
early Sharps - maybe current as well, I don't know, but
according to market rules, that was an anomaly and was most
probably eliminated) costs more than a whole new unit, and they
will NEVER display true black. You can call the ratio 50,000:1
(I'm not sure I have NOT seen this somewhere) but that still
doesn't mean one end is 100% black.

Did you ever wonder why ALL they ever show on them in the stores
is 2-D animation?

> The LCD image is generated quite differently to the one on
> a CRT which uses 3 electron beams, so image persistence is
> not nearly so much of an issue.

Or one:

"The name Trinitron was derived from trinity, meaning the union
of three, and tron from electron tube, after the way that the
Trinitron combined the three separate electron guns of other CRT
designs into one."
(Sony Trinitron, Wikipedia)

When the Trinitron patent ran out was truly a dark day - and it
became even darker once the LCD **** took over.

Burn-in (or "persistence" - "persistence of vision" is actually
a term for the eye not "catching" each of the individual 24, 25
or 30 frames per second, just a /seemingly/ continuous flow of
moving images) is NOT an issue, nor has it been an issue for the
last 15 years with quality color CRT's - which will probably
come back when this scam runs it course (could be a WHILE), but
at suitably inflated prices.