Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > camera choice

camera choice

whisky-dave

I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....

but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.

She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR

but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.

as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender

Things she wants include
Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording.
(mainly for gig photography)
A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.

She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.

Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement,
whether it's a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs
it doesn't really matter that much.

yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
can be found here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/

Thanks for a short list hopefully.

ray

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:15:40 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
>
> but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.
>
> She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR
>
> but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.
>
> as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender
>
> Things she wants include
> Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording. (mainly
> for gig photography)
> A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.
>
> She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.
>
> Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement, whether it's
> a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs it doesn't really matter that
> much.
>
> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes can
> be found here.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
>
> Thanks for a short list hopefully.

I'm not much of a Canon fan - in fact, I'll probably never own another
Canon product. But if that's what she likes, I'm at a loss as to why
you're set on changing her mind.

Bruce

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
>can be found here.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
>
>Thanks for a short list hopefully.

Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
to her ability, a DSLR.

Most brands of DSLR include entry-level models that are small and
light, if that is the issue. There are also the Micro Four Thirds
cameras from Olympus and Panasonic that are even more compact than the
smallest DSLRs but still offer very good image quality.

In DSLRs I would suggest entry level models from Nikon, Canon, Pentax
and possibly the Olympus E-620, each with a twin lens kit. In Micro
Four Thirds I would suggest an Olympus Pen E-P1 or a Panasonic GF-1,
each with a twin lens kit. Panasonic also offers a very slim 20mm
f/1.7 "pancake" lens that is ideally suited to travel photography.

Ray Fischer

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:15:40 +0100, "whisky-dave"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
>>can be found here.
>>
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
>>
>>Thanks for a short list hopefully.

>Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
>really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
>to her ability, a DSLR.

Even the best camera cannot take good pictures if it stays at home in
a box. If an SLR is too big then she should get a good compact.

--
Ray Fischer

Will T

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:00:10 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>whisky-dave wrote:
>> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
>>
>> but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.
>>
>> She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR
>>
>> but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.
>>
>> as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender
>>
>> Things she wants include
>> Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording.
>> (mainly for gig photography)
>> A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.
>>
>> She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.
>>
>> Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement,
>> whether it's a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs
>> it doesn't really matter that much.
>>
>> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
>> can be found here.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
>>
>> Thanks for a short list hopefully.
>>

>Most of her subjects cry out for a DSLR. I hope she changes her mind.
>Some beauties in that selection.
>Allen

An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
"cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

direct need for it.

Tim Conway

"Will T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:00:10 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>whisky-dave wrote:
>>> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
>>>

> An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
> overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
> them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
> "cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

> direct need for it.

Looks like you were right, you did invite one. The old troll has a new
name.

Savageduck has ;good advice. The G11 is good or the Nikon 3000 or 5000 also
good choices.
The smaller 4/3 cameras too. Oly, Panasonic etc.

whisky-dave

"Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hqkt02$8jv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Will T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
>> overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
>> them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
>> "cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

>> direct need for it.
>>

> Looks like you were right, you did invite one. The old troll has a new
> name.

Yeah and it only took it 5 hours to make up a new name.

> Savageduck has ;good advice. The G11 is good or the Nikon 3000 or 5000
> also good choices.

I like the G11 but it's very pricey (UK)

> The smaller 4/3 cameras too. Oly, Panasonic etc.

cheers

whisky-dave

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:15:40 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:
>
>> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
>>
>> but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.
>>
>> She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR
>>
>> but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.
>>
>> as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender
>>
>> Things she wants include
>> Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording. (mainly
>> for gig photography)
>> A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.
>>
>> She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.
>>
>> Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement, whether it's
>> a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs it doesn't really matter that
>> much.
>>
>> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes can
>> be found here.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
>>
>> Thanks for a short list hopefully.

> I'm not much of a Canon fan - in fact, I'll probably never own another
> Canon product. But if that's what she likes, I'm at a loss as to why
> you're set on changing her mind.

Well that's the first camera I thought would suite her, so that's what I
suggested
she started looking at. I have a G10 and I'm pleased with it, but she wants
more zoom.
I've used my G10 to video her band but I can't zoom and video so she wants
the camera to give to me to use, hence the video while zooming.

I don't like the Fuji, she does, I like canon, she likes the layout of my
G10.
So I'm hoping for a shortlist to present to her. And we'll discus good and
bad points
of each together and tehn I'll watch her part with the dosh, and I get to
play with
a new camera

whisky-dave

> On 2010-04-20 06:15:40 -0700, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> said:
>

>> Thanks for a short list hopefully.

> I am primarily a DSLR shooter (D300s), however I have a P&S for those
> times I might need one. I have an E900 and it is not bad at all. My beef
> with it has been the user UNFRIENDLY controls. I bought a Canon G11 last
> year and I find the difference night and day.
> The G11 gives me easy access to all the controls and menus. My E900 is
> currently gathering dust and will be given away soon.
>
> Given what she is shooting I would suggest a Canon G11 or in the DSLR
> choice, a Nikon D5000 or D3000 (and they arn't that "half arsed".)

Cheers for teh good advice, when I said half arsed I might those
camera which fall between a compact and a DSLR.
I consider the powershot XS20 to be half arsed as it's not quite up
to the DSLR.

Paul Furman

Bruce wrote:
> whisky-dave wrote:
>
>> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
>> can be found here.
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/

> Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
> really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
> to her ability, a DSLR.
>
> Most brands of DSLR include entry-level models that are small and
> light, if that is the issue. There are also the Micro Four Thirds
> cameras from Olympus and Panasonic that are even more compact than the
> smallest DSLRs but still offer very good image quality.
>
> In DSLRs I would suggest entry level models from Nikon, Canon, Pentax
> and possibly the Olympus E-620, each with a twin lens kit. In Micro
> Four Thirds I would suggest an Olympus Pen E-P1 or a Panasonic GF-1,
> each with a twin lens kit. Panasonic also offers a very slim 20mm
> f/1.7 "pancake" lens that is ideally suited to travel photography.

I can certainly understand people not wanting to have a bulky DSLR while
traveling, especially day trips. The Panasonic 4/3 might work with a few
lenses. The pancake for easy carry touristing and a tele zoom for
concerts, but she'll also want a wide angle for the travel landscapes
(leave the tele at the hotel). She's got a good number of low light
shots that would benefit greatly from a DSLR but maybe the fast normal
pancake on 4/3 would suffice. The tele zoom could be just about any lens
in existence; I would think manual zoom is the way to go for video?

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net