Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Upgrading Microsoft Report Viewer from 2008 to 2010

Upgrading Microsoft Report Viewer from 2008 to 2010

James Simpson

Hey everyone,
We've been developing a web application in Visual Studio 2008 for a while
now and have noticed that Microsoft has recently announced Visual Studio 2010
being officially released. I have spent the past two days on a virtual
machine trying to get this web application to fully upgrade to Visual Studio
2010.

After making some minor changes to the project, the application compiles
fine. However, in preliminary testing the application a couple of runtime
errors have been generated. They mainly have to do with the Microsoft Report
Viewer Control that is being used throughout the app to generate reports for
our clients. In particular I have been given the following run-time error by
ASP.NET:

The base class includes the field 'ReportViewer2', but its type
(Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer) is not compatible with the type
of control (Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer).

Now I have spent some time updating the references made in the solution to
the report viewer to reflect the newer assemblies that are included in Visual
Studio 2010 (namely going from version 9 to version 10 of the control), as
well as updating the Web.config file to reflect the upgrade. I did this
because initially I encountered run-time errors when ASP.NET tried to load
the older (and non-existant) Microsoft Report Viewer components.

Can someone point me to an article which discusses how to upgrade an ASP.NET
developed in Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2010, as well as how to
handle the report viewer and other components upgrades? I spent some time
googling around but really couldn't find such an article (especially one
covering the upgrade process for the report viewer).

Regards,

James Simpson
Bespoke Inventory Solutions Inc.

Wirah Wirah is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Simpson View Post
Hey everyone,
We've been developing a web application in Visual Studio 2008 for a while
now and have noticed that Microsoft has recently announced Visual Studio 2010
being officially released. I have spent the past two days on a virtual
machine trying to get this ....
Change .NET Framework Target to 3.5