Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > startup application question

startup application question

Frank Thompson

On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed
it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still
opens on booting up.

Aardvark

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:47:43 -0700, Frank Thompson wrote:

> On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from automatically
> starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed it from the Start
> Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still opens on booting up.

You could either format your hard drive and install Linux or go into the
settings of WLM and untick the box that says start when Window$ starts.

Aardvark

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:59:48 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Frank Thompson
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from automatically
>>starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed it from the Start
>>Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still opens on booting up.

> Log into messenger and choose in General Options to unselect startup
> with Windows?

DUH-ane didn't seem to be impressed with that solution when I suggested
it. Maybe it's not the correct one. DUH-ane *must* be right, being a super-
duper expert 'n stuff.

Gordon

On 19/04/2010 14:50, Aardvark wrote:

> You could either format your hard drive and install Linux or go into the
> settings of WLM and untick the box that says start when Window$ starts.

ROTFL!

Aardvark

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:16:18 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:03:52 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:59:48 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

>>> Log into messenger and choose in General Options to unselect startup
>>> with Windows?

>>DUH-ane didn't seem to be impressed with that solution when I suggested
>>it. Maybe it's not the correct one. DUH-ane *must* be right, being a
>>super- duper expert 'n stuff.

> That's what I did when I used it. Same for Yahoo messenger.

Yabbut DUH-ane said "pfft" when I suggested it. Maybe we're both wrong,
Meat.

Waddya think?

Aardvark

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:27:13 -0400, Lookout wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:59:48 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

>>> Log into messenger and choose in General Options to unselect startup
>>> with Windows?

>> DUH-ane didn't seem to be impressed with that solution when I suggested
>> it. Maybe it's not the correct one. DUH-ane *must* be right, being a
>> super- duper expert 'n stuff.
>>

> Yeah, I have been doing it since 1971 in IT, I have seen it all over the
> years, I am still going strong in IT making that big $$$$$$, and I have
> forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know in your lifetime
> playing with it.

So are you saying my proposed solution to the OP's question was incorrect,
DUH-ane, oh great expert 'n stuff?

Aardvark

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:35:40 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:

>> So are you saying my proposed solution to the OP's question was
>> incorrect, DUH-ane, oh great expert 'n stuff?
>>

> I am just yanking your chain on GP.

Grand Prix, DUH-ane? You a Lewis Hamilton fan or something?

> But I didn't like that Linux part
> stop peddling it it's low-class.

Coming from a crackpot like you, DUH-ane, that's the best recommendation
anyone could read to encourage them to switch to Linux.

> The OP has Win 7 and there is nothing
> you can do about it.

I can encourage him to get rid of it and install a better OS.

chuckcar

Frank Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
> automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed
> it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still
> opens on booting up.

Uninstall it. It's junk anyways.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

"§nühw¤£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9D5F57948316Fsnuhwolfyahoocom@216.196.97.1 42:

> Grinder <(E-Mail Removed)> clouded the waters of pure
> thought with news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 4/19/2010 8:47 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
>>> On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
>>> automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have
>>> removed it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty,
>>> but it still opens on booting up.

>> There used to be an option within Live Messenger itself, but it
>> might be kind of hard to find now that the menu bar is hidden.
>> Right-click the interface and show the menu bar, then look for a
>> preferences item on those menus.
>>

> Ahem...you might want to change yer nym, mate.
>
> http://www.homorazzi.com/article/gri...-app-find-men-
> hookups-dating-hot-men/

Someone's been watching Top Gear...

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:08:25 -0400, Lookout wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>
>>> The OP has Win 7 and there is nothing you can do about it.

>> I can encourage him to get rid of it and install a better OS.
>>

> You might as well go sell Linux magazines door-2-door.

Why would I want to do that, DUH-ane?

> You have a better
> chance of pushing Linux.

You want to do that, DUH-ane, go ahead.

> It's a Linux lunatic user's move that you think
> that you can influence anyone is this area.

I've convinced a number of people of the many benefits of dropping M$
products and going OSS, DUH-ane.

Nah. He's a ****ing crackpot, just like you, DUH-ane.