Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > aspire 5050 problem

aspire 5050 problem

lurk

could anyone tell me why this acer aspire laptop OS XP won't keep the
realtek ethernet NIC program in memory....I have to enable it each time I
boot up Thanks

Mike Easter

lurk wrote:
> could anyone tell me why this acer aspire laptop OS XP won't keep the
> realtek ethernet NIC program in memory....I have to enable it each time I
> boot up

Maybe you should disable the wireless.

I have an XP DT desktop with both ethernet and wireless, and I disabled
the wireless when I'm not using it.

You didn't say anything about how you have your tcp/ip for the adapter
configured in network properties - does it obtain an IP address
automatically?

--
Mike Easter

lurk

it connects and I see it light up on my at&t modem but won't get out to the
internet.....the set up on the aspire is very simple...I tried everything to
get it on the net....

lurk

It's a 2 wire at&t wireless modem.....it seems to work with other wireless
laptops though...so I think it has to be in the Acer aspire 5050

lurk

lol...I was expecting to get blasted .....oh well thanks anyway....I should
just get a recovery disk and format it.....thanks

chuckcar

"lurk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hqfrs9$8ii$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> could anyone tell me why this acer aspire laptop OS XP won't keep
> the realtek ethernet NIC program in memory....I have to enable it each
> time I boot up Thanks

Ignore meathead. He's still ****ed Archie made more money than he did.

Don't use a wireless connection to the internet if you can at all avoid
it. Or failing that make sure that the signal strength between the card
and your modem is sufficient. Clearly not the case here. Either sit
closer and without a wall between you or use a NIC cable. There are very
severe security problems with wireless internet that most people have no
clue about as well. Two cases in point: war drivers stealing peoples
internet use and the recent rash of stolen credit card information from
retail stores.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:05:21 -0400, lurk wrote:

> lol...I was expecting to get blasted .....oh well thanks anyway....I
> should just get a recovery disk and format it.....thanks

Who the **** are you talking to and what the **** are you talking about?

thund3rstruck

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:37:32 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

<snip>
>> There are very severe security problems with wireless internet that most people have no
>> clue about as well. Two cases in point: war drivers stealing peoples
>> internet use and the recent rash of stolen credit card information from
>> retail stores.

> ...From unsecured Wireless.

Actually, that's exactly happened at TJMaxx. IIRC, someone put an
unauthorized, defaulted AP on the network at their central location, and
some wardriver just stumbled upon it. A little bit of poking around on
a wide open network, and they cost the company an estimated $40 million.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6mk7tz

n0i