Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Win7 can't see XP Home printer

Win7 can't see XP Home printer

RJK

Hardware:-
TalkTalk's Huawei Echolife HG520b router,
Asus X5DIJ Laptop running Windows 7 64 bit,
Midi-tower XP2200 running Windows Home SP3+ with a
Tenda Wireless-G USB Adapter ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159814 ) in it.

The midi-tower has an Epson SX415 connected to it with a USB lead,
....have gone into Printer properties and set it to be "shared," but,
Win7-Laptop can't see it, so can't see how to install drivers on Laptop so
that it can send print to that printer.

Both PC's have AVG Internet Security suite installed on them, and am
wondering if firewall is interfering / preventing something somewhere, i.e.
should I uninstall that suite on both computers, then try and set up wifi
printing ?

Prior to all above, XP Home PC had an old, but perfect and hardly used,
Epson 670 connected to it with USB lead, and the Win7 laptop could see it,
and wanted a driver for it, but, after hunting through Epson's web-site -
they have not produced a Win7 driver for their old Stylus 670 .....SWINES
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, now have a new printer installed into XP Home midi-tower but, Win7 64
bit can't see it through the router.

I have been Googling and wading through material where people are having
similar problems but, my unfamiliarity with Win7, and several other areas
aren't getting me very far.

any help would be much appreciated.

TIA, regards, Richard

Pegasus [MVP]

"RJK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hardware:-
> TalkTalk's Huawei Echolife HG520b router,
> Asus X5DIJ Laptop running Windows 7 64 bit,
> Midi-tower XP2200 running Windows Home SP3+ with a
> Tenda Wireless-G USB Adapter ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159814 ) in
> it.
>
> The midi-tower has an Epson SX415 connected to it with a USB lead,
> ...have gone into Printer properties and set it to be "shared," but,
> Win7-Laptop can't see it, so can't see how to install drivers on Laptop so
> that it can send print to that printer.
>
> Both PC's have AVG Internet Security suite installed on them, and am
> wondering if firewall is interfering / preventing something somewhere,
> i.e. should I uninstall that suite on both computers, then try and set up
> wifi printing ?
>
> Prior to all above, XP Home PC had an old, but perfect and hardly used,
> Epson 670 connected to it with USB lead, and the Win7 laptop could see it,
> and wanted a driver for it, but, after hunting through Epson's web-site -
> they have not produced a Win7 driver for their old Stylus 670
> .....SWINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> So, now have a new printer installed into XP Home midi-tower but, Win7 64
> bit can't see it through the router.
>
> I have been Googling and wading through material where people are having
> similar problems but, my unfamiliarity with Win7, and several other areas
> aren't getting me very far.
>
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA, regards, Richard

This is really a Windows 7 question, not a WinXP question, and you will find
the answer in this Windows 7 forum:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-87057d9f96e9

RJK

"Pegasus [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "RJK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hardware:-
>> TalkTalk's Huawei Echolife HG520b router,
>> Asus X5DIJ Laptop running Windows 7 64 bit,
>> Midi-tower XP2200 running Windows Home SP3+ with a
>> Tenda Wireless-G USB Adapter ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159814 ) in
>> it.
>>
>> The midi-tower has an Epson SX415 connected to it with a USB lead,
>> ...have gone into Printer properties and set it to be "shared," but,
>> Win7-Laptop can't see it, so can't see how to install drivers on Laptop
>> so that it can send print to that printer.
>>
>> Both PC's have AVG Internet Security suite installed on them, and am
>> wondering if firewall is interfering / preventing something somewhere,
>> i.e. should I uninstall that suite on both computers, then try and set up
>> wifi printing ?
>>
>> Prior to all above, XP Home PC had an old, but perfect and hardly used,
>> Epson 670 connected to it with USB lead, and the Win7 laptop could see
>> it, and wanted a driver for it, but, after hunting through Epson's
>> web-site - they have not produced a Win7 driver for their old Stylus
>> 670 .....SWINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> So, now have a new printer installed into XP Home midi-tower but, Win7
>> 64 bit can't see it through the router.
>>
>> I have been Googling and wading through material where people are having
>> similar problems but, my unfamiliarity with Win7, and several other areas
>> aren't getting me very far.
>>
>> any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> TIA, regards, Richard

> This is really a Windows 7 question, not a WinXP question, and you will
> find the answer in this Windows 7 forum:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-87057d9f96e9

Thanks "Pegasus [MVP]" ...I followed my nose, and uninstalled AVG 9.0
internet security suite on both machines,
....installed Epson SX415 Windows 7 64 bit printer driver on Laptop,
(which was a hit and miss affair as the driver download from Epson was an
*.exe configured to unzip and straightaway run a setup.exe - which
eventually wanted the printer to be connected - so abandoned it at that
point and rebooted - it must have installed the driver !), as
....Asus Laptop could then see Epson SX415 printer upstairs which is
connected by USB lead to XP2200 XP Home midi-tower with Wireless G USB plug
in it,
....(ISP TalkTalk's Huawei Echolife HG520b wifi / router in the hallway),
....reinstalled AVG 9.0 on both PC's and Asus Laptop can still print to that
printer

So all is working beatifully

....couldn't understand the "Printer Sharing" settings on the XP Home SP3
xp2200+ PC upstairs, where you could check box / select more drivers, so
that they'd be available to people on the "network?" who might want to print
to that printer, and who might be running a different Windows platform,
i.e. there wasn't a "Windows 7" driver in the list, to make available to the
Windows 7 64 bit Laptop !

regards, Richard

ps will visit hyperlink you supplied later today, ...just returned from town
after sorting above !

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
Sharing configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
Firewall instructions.
Win7 -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
Win7 - Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"RJK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hardware:-
> TalkTalk's Huawei Echolife HG520b router,
> Asus X5DIJ Laptop running Windows 7 64 bit,
> Midi-tower XP2200 running Windows Home SP3+ with a
> Tenda Wireless-G USB Adapter ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159814 ) in
> it.
>
> The midi-tower has an Epson SX415 connected to it with a USB lead,
> ...have gone into Printer properties and set it to be "shared," but,
> Win7-Laptop can't see it, so can't see how to install drivers on Laptop so
> that it can send print to that printer.
>
> Both PC's have AVG Internet Security suite installed on them, and am
> wondering if firewall is interfering / preventing something somewhere,
> i.e. should I uninstall that suite on both computers, then try and set up
> wifi printing ?
>
> Prior to all above, XP Home PC had an old, but perfect and hardly used,
> Epson 670 connected to it with USB lead, and the Win7 laptop could see it,
> and wanted a driver for it, but, after hunting through Epson's web-site -
> they have not produced a Win7 driver for their old Stylus 670
> .....SWINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> So, now have a new printer installed into XP Home midi-tower but, Win7 64
> bit can't see it through the router.
>
> I have been Googling and wading through material where people are having
> similar problems but, my unfamiliarity with Win7, and several other areas
> aren't getting me very far.
>
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA, regards, Richard

RJK

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> so that it can send print to that printer.
>>
>> Both PC's have AVG Internet Security suite installed on them, and am
>> wondering if firewall is interfering / preventing something somewhere,
>> i.e. should I uninstall that suite on both computers, then try and set up
>> wifi printing ?
>>
>> Prior to all above, XP Home PC had an old, but perfect and hardly used,
>> Epson 670 connected to it with USB lead, and the Win7 laptop could see
>> it, and wanted a driver for it, but, after hunting through Epson's
>> web-site - they have not produced a Win7 driver for their old Stylus
>> 670 .....SWINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> So, now have a new printer installed into XP Home midi-tower but, Win7
>> 64 bit can't see it through the router.
>>
>> I have been Googling and wading through material where people are having
>> similar problems but, my unfamiliarity with Win7, and several other areas

Many thanks, and I will work through links you've kindly supplied,
....eventually / soon.
Configuring IP / DNS addresses, (having next to no background in
networking), is, always to me, simply a nightmare !
Though I do often try to get a grasp on what goes where, and by necessity,
in the past, have had to ascertain Gateway address, local IP address, router
addresses etc.

The thing I keep discovering the hard way, is that AVG internet security
suite's software firewall doesn't do enough to help the lay-person cope with
a modified environment !
And the simple solution always seems to end up being uninstalling the suite,
doing hardware additions or alterations, and then reinstalling the suite,
which then seems to take account of the changes as it's reinstalled !

I often wade through AVG's Firewall settings, and rummage through the myriad
settings in there, in wonderment, ....often wondering which "controls" are
strangling the hardware that I'm fighting with !

regards, Richard

Lem

RJK wrote:
<snip>

> The thing I keep discovering the hard way, is that AVG internet security
> suite's software firewall doesn't do enough to help the lay-person cope with
> a modified environment !
> And the simple solution always seems to end up being uninstalling the suite,
> doing hardware additions or alterations, and then reinstalling the suite,
> which then seems to take account of the changes as it's reinstalled !

<snip

Actually, you'd be better off uninstalling the "security suite" and not
reinstalling it.

You DO need an antivirus program. You DON'T need all the rest of the
resource-consuming "features" typically found in such suites. In
particular, the combination of your router and the built-in Windows XP
firewall is sufficient protection against "port scanners" and other
Internet intrusion attempts.
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

RJK

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RJK wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> The thing I keep discovering the hard way, is that AVG internet security
>> suite's software firewall doesn't do enough to help the lay-person cope
>> with a modified environment !
>> And the simple solution always seems to end up being uninstalling the
>> suite, doing hardware additions or alterations, and then reinstalling the
>> suite, which then seems to take account of the changes as it's
>> reinstalled !
>>

> <snip
>
> Actually, you'd be better off uninstalling the "security suite" and not
> reinstalling it.
>
> You DO need an antivirus program. You DON'T need all the rest of the
> resource-consuming "features" typically found in such suites. In
> particular, the combination of your router and the built-in Windows XP
> firewall is sufficient protection against "port scanners" and other
> Internet intrusion attempts.
> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Thanks but, I've always liked being alerted to outbound connections attempts
by all internet enabled software in my PC's, and AVG internet security suite
has never placed much of an overhead on my PC's.
And considering the vast range of sophisticated malware, out there -
particularly rootkits and "man in the middle" attacks (quite fascinating),
I'll keep AVG and other anti-malware software in place.

regards, Richard

RJK

"James Egan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:53:30 +0100, "RJK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks but, I've always liked being alerted to outbound connections
>>attempts
>>by all internet enabled software in my PC's

> And the stuff you will be alerted to is the stuff which doesn't mind
> getting caught. Anything (malware) wanting to bypass the alert can
> readily do so.
>

> Jim

Quite right

regards, Richard