Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Missing Resources on Network

Missing Resources on Network

RobFJ

I've got a laptop running Win7Pro.

If I access the network via ethernet cable I can see the three workstation
pc's on the network. (That's what I expect.)

If I access the same network via wireless I can see just one pc.

Internet access works fine from the laptop on either wireless or ethernet
connection.

All the pc's are in the same workgroup.

Two other pc's are running Win7; the other is running XP. There are no
problems on any other pc.

Can anyone help me get wireless connected to the missing pc's

Thanks

Lem

RobFJ wrote:
> I've got a laptop running Win7Pro.
>
> If I access the network via ethernet cable I can see the three
> workstation pc's on the network. (That's what I expect.)
>
> If I access the same network via wireless I can see just one pc.
>
> Internet access works fine from the laptop on either wireless or
> ethernet connection.
>
> All the pc's are in the same workgroup.
>
> Two other pc's are running Win7; the other is running XP. There are no
> problems on any other pc.
>
> Can anyone help me get wireless connected to the missing pc's
>
> Thanks

Please supply answers when laptop is connected both wired and wireless:

1. Is laptop connected via "Homegroup" or "Workgroup"
2. What is the IP address of the laptop? (run ipconfig /all from
Command Prompt)

....and have to ask: when laptop is connected via wireless, are you
*sure* that the one PC you see is yours, i.e., are you sure that you are
connected to your own wireless network?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

RobFJ

Laptop is connected via a workgroup (both).

ip address of the wireless connection is 192.168.0.8

ip address of the ethernet connection is 192.168.0.12

....and Yes the other pc is definitely mine - it's my desktop <G>

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RobFJ wrote:
>> I've got a laptop running Win7Pro.
>>
>> If I access the network via ethernet cable I can see the three
>> workstation pc's on the network. (That's what I expect.)
>>
>> If I access the same network via wireless I can see just one pc.
>>
>> Internet access works fine from the laptop on either wireless or ethernet
>> connection.
>>
>> All the pc's are in the same workgroup.
>>
>> Two other pc's are running Win7; the other is running XP. There are no
>> problems on any other pc.
>>
>> Can anyone help me get wireless connected to the missing pc's
>>
>> Thanks

> Please supply answers when laptop is connected both wired and wireless:
>
> 1. Is laptop connected via "Homegroup" or "Workgroup"
> 2. What is the IP address of the laptop? (run ipconfig /all from Command
> Prompt)
>
> ...and have to ask: when laptop is connected via wireless, are you *sure*
> that the one PC you see is yours, i.e., are you sure that you are
> connected to your own wireless network?
>
> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Lem

The only other thing I can think of is a firewall setting. Make sure
that your wireless network connection isn't characterized as a "public
network." http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ee851569.aspx

RobFJ wrote:
> Laptop is connected via a workgroup (both).
>
> ip address of the wireless connection is 192.168.0.8
>
> ip address of the ethernet connection is 192.168.0.12
>
> ...and Yes the other pc is definitely mine - it's my desktop <G>
>

> "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> RobFJ wrote:
>>> I've got a laptop running Win7Pro.
>>>
>>> If I access the network via ethernet cable I can see the three
>>> workstation pc's on the network. (That's what I expect.)
>>>
>>> If I access the same network via wireless I can see just one pc.
>>>
>>> Internet access works fine from the laptop on either wireless or
>>> ethernet connection.
>>>
>>> All the pc's are in the same workgroup.
>>>
>>> Two other pc's are running Win7; the other is running XP. There are
>>> no problems on any other pc.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me get wireless connected to the missing pc's
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Please supply answers when laptop is connected both wired and wireless:
>>
>> 1. Is laptop connected via "Homegroup" or "Workgroup"
>> 2. What is the IP address of the laptop? (run ipconfig /all from
>> Command Prompt)
>>
>> ...and have to ask: when laptop is connected via wireless, are you
>> *sure* that the one PC you see is yours, i.e., are you sure that you
>> are connected to your own wireless network?
>>
>> --
>> Lem
>>
>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
>> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

RobFJ

Hi Lem,

You were right <BG> - it was the firewall, not in windows but in my
anti-virus software.

If I switch it off, all the other pc's are there; if I switch it back on,
they disappear.

Now I just need to find out what to change in those settings - but that's
another forum

Thanks for your help.

Rob

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only other thing I can think of is a firewall setting. Make sure that
> your wireless network connection isn't characterized as a "public
> network." http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ee851569.aspx
>
> RobFJ wrote:
>> Laptop is connected via a workgroup (both).
>>
>> ip address of the wireless connection is 192.168.0.8
>>
>> ip address of the ethernet connection is 192.168.0.12
>>
>> ...and Yes the other pc is definitely mine - it's my desktop <G>
>>

>> "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Please supply answers when laptop is connected both wired and wireless:
>>>
>>> 1. Is laptop connected via "Homegroup" or "Workgroup"
>>> 2. What is the IP address of the laptop? (run ipconfig /all from
>>> Command Prompt)
>>>
>>> ...and have to ask: when laptop is connected via wireless, are you
>>> *sure* that the one PC you see is yours, i.e., are you sure that you are
>>> connected to your own wireless network?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lem
>>>
>>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
>>> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html
>>>

> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

RobFJ

With Lem's help I've managed to trace and resolve the problem.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security and when I initially set up WAP access,
KAV automatically added entries into its Firewall settings. For some reason
it put in a range of IP settings that it would recognise and, by default,
barred the others.

I got around it by deleting the wireless connection in windows and, with all
other pc's switched on, re-established a new wireless connection.

KAV then picked up the correct IP range and everything is now OK.

Hope this helps someone else.

Rob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...